Visual inspection of all wires good
Replaced alternator, old one tested good but meh
Still not charging only getting 11v reading
Batt light turns on in 20 seconds of starting

Going to test wires for power but out of ideas after that
Old 16 Apr 2014, 10:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery not charging, out of ideas

only thing left is the computor it tell the altenator how much to send to the battery or I think ti does
Old 16 Apr 2014, 11:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Further, the power train control module (PCM) reads a signal from the battery temperature sensor. If the PCM thinks the battery is getting hot, the alternator output is reduced.

From the shop manual:
"The battery temperature sensor is used to determine the battery temperature and control battery charging rate. This temperature data, along with data from monitored line voltage, is used by the PCM to vary the battery charging rate. System voltage will be higher at colder temperatures and is gradually reduced at warmer temperatures.
The sensor is located on the bottom of the battery tray, and makes contacts with the bottom of the battery."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
only thing left is the computor it tell the altenator how much to send to the battery or I think ti does
Old 16 Apr 2014, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Battery not charging, out of ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Further, the power train control module (PCM) reads a signal from the battery temperature sensor. If the PCM thinks the battery is getting hot, the alternator output is reduced.

From the shop manual:
"The battery temperature sensor is used to determine the battery temperature and control battery charging rate. This temperature data, along with data from monitored line voltage, is used by the PCM to vary the battery charging rate. System voltage will be higher at colder temperatures and is gradually reduced at warmer temperatures.
The sensor is located on the bottom of the battery tray, and makes contacts with the bottom of the battery."
SO in a small way I was almost correct????
Old 16 Apr 2014, 03:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Interesting, thanks for that info. I got a haynes manual. Ill open it up and explore the battery sensor.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

So, no battery temp sensor installed. Dont know that it ever had one : /
Old 21 Apr 2014, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So turned out had a loose connection, tightened it and was getting 14.5v. Then this morning back down to 12v, could i have blown alternator? What will do that?
Old 21 Apr 2014, 06:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Maybe 14.5v was charging the batt. up until it was up to 12v .. turn all your electrical on and see what the draw is

My "old school" test for an Alt. check was to disconnect the battery while the car was running and see if it would still run .... DON'T do this unless someone else agrees that has experience with PT's and all the electronics , I Do not ...

Last edited by boonie2; 21 Apr 2014 at 06:28 pm.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 09:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie2 View Post
Maybe 14.5v was charging the batt. up until it was up to 12v .. turn all your electrical on and see what the draw is

My "old school" test for an Alt. check was to disconnect the battery while the car was running and see if it would still run .... DON'T do this unless someone else agrees that has experience with PT's and all the electronics , I Do not ...
I'm told you can no longer run car with battery disconnected.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Apr 2014, 08:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

No, i am having to charge the battery to be able to go anywhere in it. At work at the moment with it charging under my desk : /. Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. My mechanic thinks the alternator is blown again, all the wires tested good previously, so this is the only thing that makes sense. When i say test good, they're getting power from one end to the other.

My question is what would keep blowing my alternators?

Tags
battery not charging