Changed Multifunction switch last weekend

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By UptownSport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2014, 11:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Changed Multifunction switch last weekend

I have a 2003 Limited with 63K miles.

In the last several weeks, the multifunction switch was unable to turn off fog lights in normal operation. When I parked, I had to turn the switch to the turn signal side to turn it off. But last week, that trick stopped working, and left me with a dead car at work place.

I did some search, thanks to the forum and all members, I quickly found out how to replace the switch. What surprised me is that it's actually a pretty easy job.

So I went to O'reilly auto parts for a BWD brand multifunction switch mainly for its life time warranty. It cost about $60.

That solved the problem. But the new switch does not compare to the old one. The surface and paint felt a bit short of fine touch; in addition, each click, especially the turn signal clicks, is not very firm. It feels like the turn signal can jump back to normal position on its own. I still kept the old one, hoping to repair it some day.

But at least, I don't have a dead battery car. I am happy.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 11:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Changed Multifunction switch last weekend

Interesting. I changed mine out this weekend with the rockauto.com $4X one and it is fine and feels the same. :/ Works perfect.
Old 23 May 2014, 02:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

A quick follow-up.

Now I had the multi-function switch in service for a couple of weeks, everything so far seems fine, except a minor problem. When I use the turn signal, especially the turn-right one, the fog light gets activated once a while.

I still keep the original multi-function switch in case this one fails.
Old 23 May 2014, 02:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A lot of the switches and electrical parts are cheaply made. Some don't work as they should, some don't work at all. You bought the one with a lifetime warranty so if your not happy return it. You did say it was an easy job to do. See if they carry another brand.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 May 2014, 09:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

The connector melts where power comes in, you likely would have noticed that when swapping out the switch.

Theres a post here on fixing the switch.

And, ask GM about using cheap switches on their Cobalt ...
CREWZIN and randyincctx like this.
Old 01 Jul 2014, 11:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

The story continues.

Last Monday on the way home, light smoke came out of the steering column. I knew it was the switch going bad, I just did not expect so soon.

So the next day morning, I went back to O'Reilly, thanks to the lifetime warranty, they game another one as replacement. This one felt better, at least, it firmly clicked into position. Hopefully, it will last longer.

When I installed the new one, I accidentally pushed one connecter pin receptor out of the large connector; in the process of putting it back, I blew the fuse because I did not disconnect battery. So I had to go back to O'Reilly to buy fuses. That made this 15 minutes job into hours.

The interesting thing is that, when I opened the fuse box, I noticed that the fuse for the fog lights is missing, but the fog lights work perfectly. Any body has any idea why?
Old 02 Jul 2014, 06:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure what year your cruiser is but if you have the fuse box in the interior next to your drivers left knee, take the cover off the fuse box and look at the back side of the cover. It will have a diagram of what all the fuses are for. On the earlier models it has FOG LMP on the top line and NON BUX on the bottom line. Look for the FOG LMP on your diagram to see where it is.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Jul 2014, 06:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb View Post
The interesting thing is that, when I opened the fuse box, I noticed that the fuse for the fog lights is missing, but the fog lights work perfectly. Any body has any idea why?
Maybe a previous owner bypassed the troublesome grey connector?
Old 02 Jul 2014, 09:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Not sure what year your cruiser is but if you have the fuse box in the interior next to your drivers left knee, take the cover off the fuse box and look at the back side of the cover. It will have a diagram of what all the fuses are for. On the earlier models it has FOG LMP on the top line and NON BUX on the bottom line. Look for the FOG LMP on your diagram to see where it is.
Wait. I have a 2003 Limited. The fuse box I referred to is the one behind battery. If I remember correctly, fuse 8 is the one for fog lights.

I noticed there is a small door next to driver left knee, but I never looked inside.
Old 02 Jul 2014, 11:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb View Post
I noticed there is a small door next to driver left knee, but I never looked inside.

Well then, look inside, you'll see up to 20 fuses and a couple of silver pieces for the Power Windows and Head Lamps. The No#8 fuse in there is for the fog lights. The inside of the door has a diagram for what everything is for.