Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0340 and Running Fine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2014, 10:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0340 and Running Fine

I haven't seen too many recent posts on this subject in my searches so here goes:

My wife just purchased a 2002 Cruiser that was advertised showing code P0340 which everyone here knows is a camshaft position sensor fault. We got a really good deal and I did some research before hand and since I pretty much refuse to take vehicles to a garage figured I could change the sensor easily. So I purchased the new sensor from Advance Auto and when i opened up the hood, I saw an extra wire coming off the sensor plug that ran to the negative battery terminal.

I unhooked that wire and the car cranked but would not start. Did the research and found out that the wire is coming off the one that sends the signal back to the PCM. I also checked the power to the sensor and the ground and they seem fine. So I put the new sensor on without the extra wire and the car still cranks and does not start.

So my question is if anyone has every done this or heard of this happening? Could it be that the new sensor is also bad? Had someone changed the timing belt and screwed up the timing and this was the way to get the car to run?

My wife drove the car home about 70 miles and didn't complain about it running poorly but i plan on hooking up my reader and checking the engine stats while it's running just to see what they say.

One thing also is that with the sensor sending signal grounded to the battery the car does not start as fast as my other 2 vehicles. It has 130,000 on it and the guy i bought it from had it less than a year and he never drove it or investigated the code.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 10:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: P0340 and Running Fine

when i disconnected the cam sensor in mine to see if it would start without it, it set a p0340 code. i drove the car for six months, thousands of miles, and that code never cleared itself.

that wire is a sensor ground. see attached. you can track it down and find the problem if you want, but personally, i'd just reattach it how they had it since you say it was working fine.

i'd use the sensor that came with the car as well. the general consensus on here is aftermarket cam sensors do not last. most fail pretty much immediately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (50.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 24 Apr 2014, 10:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
when i disconnected the cam sensor in mine to see if it would start without it, it set a p0340 code. i drove the car for six months, thousands of miles, and that code never cleared itself.

that wire is a sensor ground. see attached. you can track it down and find the problem if you want, but personally, i'd just reattach it how they had it since you say it was working fine.

i'd use the sensor that came with the car as well. the general consensus on here is aftermarket cam sensors do not last. most fail pretty much immediately.
Actually, in Pennsylvania, this car won't pass inspection with the check engine light on. I tried clearing it both by disconnecting the battery and with the code reader and it comes back immediately.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 11:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

yeah i guess you'll be checking the sensor wiring then. sometimes the wire loom can come loose and rub through on the axle, specifically causing a cam sensor problem. i would inspect for wiring near the axle, or wiring that could have been near the axle. this would make the most sense since it's a common thing to happen.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

I crawled under the car last night and was tracing the wiring. From what I could tell it looked like the wires from the cam sensor don't actually go with the bundle that runs down the backside of the engine.

Here's a related question hopefully someone can answer. Does the 3rd wire from the sensor, the signal wire, run directly to the PCM? What I'm asking is can I just unplug the connector from the PCM and test for continuity? Then if it's bad, I could just run a new wire from the sensor plug directly to the PCM?
Old 24 Apr 2014, 11:59 am
Veteran Cruiser

The three wires from the camshaft position sensor all go to the PCM.
Yes, one is a ground, but that grounds through the PCM.
The other two are a 5-volt reference sent from the PCM to the sensor, and the return signal wire whose voltage varies and is read by the PCM.

If you identify the correct connector pins at the PCM, you can test wires for continuity from the PCM connector to the CPS sensor.
Read a shop manual about disconnecting and reconnecting PCM connectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reklaw2010 View Post
...Does the 3rd wire from the sensor, the signal wire, run directly to the PCM? What I'm asking is can I just unplug the connector from the PCM and test for continuity? Then if it's bad, I could just run a new wire from the sensor plug directly to the PCM?
Old 24 Apr 2014, 04:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, home from work now. I have already tested the 8 volt power to the cam sensor and the ground to the sensor and they were both good. I just check the continuity of the third wire which is the one that sends the signal back to the PCM and it checked good. I have to leave again but as soon as I get time I'm going to turn the crank shaft by hand and see if I get the 5volt-0-5volt signal. That should tell me if the sensor is good.

Just for everyone that may read this. My neighbor said I should check/change the timing belt as it has 130k on it and I don't know if it's ever been done.

I'll keep everyone posted to my progress.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 03:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
The three wires from the camshaft position sensor all go to the PCM.
Yes, one is a ground, but that grounds through the PCM.
The other two are a 5-volt reference sent from the PCM to the sensor, and the return signal wire whose voltage varies and is read by the PCM.

If you identify the correct connector pins at the PCM, you can test wires for continuity from the PCM connector to the CPS sensor.
Read a shop manual about disconnecting and reconnecting PCM connectors.
So if you see my last post I have continuity at the pcm. I wanted to turn the crank by hand and check the 5 volt on / off signal coming from the sensor but I couldn't figure out if the torx bolt that you can see through the right wheel well is the bolt to turn. I was planning on being in the vicinity of the Chrysler dealer today so I got the mopar sensor and just finished putting that on. I cleared the code and tried to start it and it would not start. So I reconnected that extra wire and it started right up and gave me the code. I'm not sure if you or everyone understood what I meant by an extra wire grounding out the sending signal so I'm including a picture.

I'm currently at a loss, and I think it's just a bad idea to take it to a garage and say figure this out.