Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stupid P0340 and No Start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2014, 03:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stupid P0340 and No Start

I'm starting a new thread because I've done all the standard stuff for this one.
A week ago my wife and I go look at a 2002 Cruiser for sale private that was about 75 miles from home. The ad listed that is was showing the P0340 error code and I did the research before I left the house and thought it was an easy fix. Body of the car is in good shape and interior is in very good condition and the car was running so we bought it and the wife drove it home.

I go buy the new camshaft position sensor and even before I put it on I notice that the "Sensor 5v supply circuit is...shorted to ground..." So that made me a little worried and got out the multimeter and tested the 8 volts sending to the sensor and the 12 volt ground and both were good and I tested continuity on the 5 vold supply circuit back to the PCM. All were good. So I put the sensor on and I leave the wire shorting it to the ground off and crank the engine and the car does not start. And before someone says it, this is a brand new MOPAR part. So next I turn the camshaft magnet on the sensor and i'm reading the 5 volt on/off that I should. I can also hear something clicking on and off as i'm going this. And yes, I can see the timing belt turn when the engine is running so I know that is not broken.

So from reading all these threads over the last 5 years related to this issue I decide to pull the crankshaft sensor. Did the same 8 volt sending to the sensor and ground test and the are fine so I check the 5 volts sending back to the PCM and that comes out fine.

I just saw the link that Chromenut posted with his link to the troubleshooting error codes and that was the first time I have read anything that said if you are getting the P0340 code and the engine is cranking or running the 5v supply circuit is shorted to the ground.

I live in Pennsylvania where we have annual safety / emission inspections and the car was not inspected when we purchased it and I need to figure this out for it to pass. Also because this is the end of the month all the garages are booked for the next week.

My wife borrowed a friends Cruiser a few weeks ago and got the bug and that's why she started looking for one. I'm telling everyone this because she drove it home and said it ran perfectly.

I'm looking on suggestions on what to check next that I haven't done already. My next thought is that maybe the PCM is bad? Also, this car didn't come with an owners manual and I don't know if this car has a transistor key or not. If it is looking for a transistor key and you try to start it without one will it even crank?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have a week until this car goes to the garage.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stupid P0340 and No Start

If you have the wrong resistor, yes it will crank and run for a few seconds and then shut off.

So, it was running good all the way home, you changed sensor and now it won't start? Did I read where you left the 5V supply shorted to ground after you put the new sensor in? Did you try putting that supply back where it's supposed to be?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
If you have the wrong resistor, yes it will crank and run for a few seconds and then shut off.

So, it was running good all the way home, you changed sensor and now it won't start? Did I read where you left the 5V supply shorted to ground after you put the new sensor in? Did you try putting that supply back where it's supposed to be?
Thanks for posting CREWZIN. All the threads I've read going back years you have been the main person telling everyone to buy the mopar sensor and that is why I did. I guess I didn't convey this very well. When I first went to change the sensor I notices that someone along the way stripped the insulation off the 3rd wire going to the Cam sensor and spliced in another wire that runs to the batter negative pole. The 3rd wire is the one that sends the signal back to the PCM. Evidently that is allowing the car to start and run fine but the minute you disconnect that jumper from the batter negative the engine shuts down and it will crank and not start. reconnect the jumper wire and it starts right up. So to go along with that. I cleared the trouble codes and then crank the engine and it doesn't start. If I reconnect the jumper wire it will start up but give me a P0340 again.

I read on another forum that these Chryslers are a pain to diagnose without the DRB3 scanner. I would still like to fix this before it goes to the garage however.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 04:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I really do't understand how it's working that way and why it won't work when hooked up normally. As you said, it might have something to do with the PCM. Hopefully someone will come along to give you some answers.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 09:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Stupid P0340 and No Start

Have you thouroughly checked the wiring harness for any problems,like maybe hardened,cracked,or broken insulation........Even doing a probe test with a multimeter might help figure out of there is a continuity issue within the wiring harness,or even a ground fault.
Old 27 May 2014, 09:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I really do't understand how it's working that way and why it won't work when hooked up normally. As you said, it might have something to do with the PCM. Hopefully someone will come along to give you some answers.
So the garage has had the cruiser for about a month. First the Cam was showing a good signal and the Crank was showing a week signal and upon investigation they found the Crank sensor wires melted together. So they ordered the 2 connectors and put those on and fixed the wiring.

Then the crank sensor is putting out a good signal but the cam had a bad signal so they ordered the magnet which he was sure was gonna solve the problem. So now, both sensors and the distributorless ignition system are showing all good signals but they don't line up like the car is out of time. The mechanic has pulled the timing belt covers twice and double checked that all the timing marks line up. And the first time he pulled the covers he noted that the belt and the water pump were new.

They did notice that the oil sending unit seemed to be malfunctioning and siphoning oil up the wire to the PCM so they were going to replace that. He told me he did actually flash a new MOPAR PCM and hooked it up and the signals where still not lining up.

So, at this point they are going to do the safety inspection for Pennsylvania and put a waiver on it for the emissions since i've spent a lot of money on it already and haven't gotten it fixed.

By the way. He also confirmed that it runs fine just by leaving the cam sensor unhooked which to me leads back to a timing issue. Guy i work with told me to double check the relays so i'm going to do that once i get it back.
Old 27 May 2014, 10:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reklaw2010 View Post
So the garage has had the cruiser for about a month. First the Cam was showing a good signal and the Crank was showing a week signal and upon investigation they found the Crank sensor wires melted together. So they ordered the 2 connectors and put those on and fixed the wiring.

Then the crank sensor is putting out a good signal but the cam had a bad signal so they ordered the magnet which he was sure was gonna solve the problem. So now, both sensors and the distributorless ignition system are showing all good signals but they don't line up like the car is out of time. The mechanic has pulled the timing belt covers twice and double checked that all the timing marks line up. And the first time he pulled the covers he noted that the belt and the water pump were new.

They did notice that the oil sending unit seemed to be malfunctioning and siphoning oil up the wire to the PCM so they were going to replace that. He told me he did actually flash a new MOPAR PCM and hooked it up and the signals where still not lining up.

So, at this point they are going to do the safety inspection for Pennsylvania and put a waiver on it for the emissions since i've spent a lot of money on it already and haven't gotten it fixed.

By the way. He also confirmed that it runs fine just by leaving the cam sensor unhooked which to me leads back to a timing issue. Guy i work with told me to double check the relays so i'm going to do that once i get it back.
You said that you changed the magnet. There are at least two different ones for 2.4 engines. This will cause a no start issue if it's the wrong one. Never tried to work around with any jumper just put the old one back on. Nitro said there are cams that fit the 2.4 with lineup pins in a different location. Maybe this is why the signal doesn't line up?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 May 2014, 10:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reklaw2010 View Post
He also confirmed that it runs fine just by leaving the cam sensor unhooked...
i disconnected mine once to see if it would run and it died instantly and would not start without it connected. i would try that for yourself, as i'm sure that is not possible.
Old 27 May 2014, 11:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You said that you changed the magnet. There are at least two different ones for 2.4 engines. This will cause a no start issue if it's the wrong one. Never tried to work around with any jumper just put the old one back on. Nitro said there are cams that fit the 2.4 with lineup pins in a different location. Maybe this is why the signal doesn't line up?
I think the mechanic said he double checked with the Chrysler Dealer to make sure he had the correct part on. When I pick the car up I will double check with him to make sure and of course I will try to keep this thread updated.