Advertisements
Moving the front seat forward - Short leg syndrome

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2014, 10:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Moving the front seat forward - Short leg syndrome

Hello,

the good lady of the house has trouble with her short legs not reaching the pedals nicely.

I've had a look at the seat mounting and have a couple of ideas but wondered if anyone has already done something along these lines to refit the front seat slightly closer (+/- 2 inches) to the pedals?

Any suggestions gladly welcome before I get the grinder and welder out.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Moving the front seat forward - Short leg syndrome

I don't understand. All the seats move forward manually by pulling up on the bar under the seat. It will get you/her so close to the steering wheel you won't be able to take a breath. My wife likes to sit close up to the steering wheel and she has no problems adjusting the seat way forward. Only problem is, being that close, if the air bag ever goes off, I'd hate to think what kind of impact it would make.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 11:34 am
Banned

Unless your wife is a midget she should be able to reach the pedals, that seat scoots wayyyyy up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerret View Post
Hello,

the good lady of the house has trouble with her short legs not reaching the pedals nicely.

I've had a look at the seat mounting and have a couple of ideas but wondered if anyone has already done something along these lines to refit the front seat slightly closer (+/- 2 inches) to the pedals?

Any suggestions gladly welcome before I get the grinder and welder out.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 11:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

sounds like a project you can do pretty easily with a welder and a grinder. i recommend cutting the pedals instead and welding those foreward. it will be a crappier position to weld in but would be far safer if she ever sets the airbag off. then again if your weld ever fails on the brake pedal, you might hurt her pretty bad. depending on your welding skills this might be a worse idea.

if you do move the seat, i recommend that you weld some small plates around the new front mounting location similar to what you'd do to anchor a roll cage.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 12:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Screw some blocks on the pedals.
Busa_Powered and rob342 like this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Apr 2014, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Maybe it is something to do with the change from LHD in the US to RHD in the UK as the passenger seat moves well forward but even with the seat moved fully forward (using the manual bar under the seat) it is still just a few inches too short for her to fully depress the clutch pedal. I guess most of you in the states have automatics and don't have the clutch issue anyway.

And NO, she is not a midget, dwarf, hobbit or physically disabled she's 5'4" and has does not have the leg reach.

The seat only has about 7" of travel.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 09:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Moving the front seat forward - Short leg syndrome

Most mobility supply stores carry pedal extenders for persons who are 'vertically challeged',and those are much safer options.......Sitting too close to any airbag is not only highly dangerous,it can even result in a fatality.
See here for ideas:
Pedal Mate Gas & Brake Pedeal Extenders
Old 27 Apr 2014, 10:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes. Medical supply houses should have some pedal extensions. Or you can cut some wooden block and attached those to the pedals. I've seen that done on heavy equipment.

My own problem is the opposite. My Amazon wife has longer legs that I do. And I'm 6'2". But the real problem with tall wives are the giant children children they produce. A 6'4" boy and 6'1" girl keep us making many trips a week to the grocery store.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 05:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advice everybody.

I have got a set of Pedal extenders ordered that don't look too much like it is built for Bilbo Baggins. They are actually SAAB factory parts and I can get them fitted quite easily and as you all pointed out, it is a safer option than having her cleavage rammed up against an airbag.

Your advice is appreciated.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 06:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Or, you could have her wear platform shoes....
thehoghunter likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles