PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question about tail lights...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2014, 02:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Question about tail lights...

... since I just managed to bust mine out along with the quarter panel and the bumper on the driver side because I couldn't see one of those damned mid-thigh high concrete pillars when backing out of a parking spot. Technically still driveable, but perhaps not legally. The tail light is only hanging on by the top metal clip and the turn signal wire. The running light socket is broken- still works, but is like the housing only held on by the wire. If it comes loose, bye bye socket. And that red LED bulb with it.

Not only do I wonder how much that might be to repair, but I also have one other question.

Does anyone know if I will be able to put tail light housings for an '06+ cruiser onto my '03? I specifically want the clear lenses since I have amber LED bulbs, and the clear lenses would make the turn signals much more apparent(I think that's why most of the more modern cars that I see have clear lenses and amber bulbs).

I have really bright LED bulbs already, but the clear lens would make it even more effective in the daytime. It's bright and also a color change, not just a flashing section of plastic.

(P.S. I can make a thread in the exterior accessories section if anyone would like recommendations on the LED bulbs I use- they're all just as bright as incandescents if not brighter, so they're viable.)

Last edited by Kittera; 27 Apr 2014 at 02:56 pm.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 03:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Question about tail lights...

if you look at the other tail light, you will see that besides the clips. there is also a small bolt at the bottom of the fixture that holds it in place. obviously you won't be able to bolt the broken one because of the damage to the body.

you're going to have to find a way to secure the light because, as you have stated, once the clips come loose it's going to dangle. it's already ugly so just duct tape it until you can get it repaired.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 03:12 pm
Banned

Question Re: Question about tail lights...

How long has it been like that, its already rusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittera View Post
... since I just managed to bust mine out along with the quarter panel and the bumper on the driver side because I couldn't see one of those damned mid-thigh high concrete pillars when backing out of a parking spot. Technically still driveable, but perhaps not legally. The tail light is only hanging on by the top metal clip and the turn signal wire. The running light socket is broken- still works, but is like the housing only held on by the wire. If it comes loose, bye bye socket. And that red LED bulb with it.

Not only do I wonder how much that might be to repair, but I also have one other question.

Does anyone know if I will be able to put tail light housings for an '06+ cruiser onto my '03? I specifically want the clear lenses since I have amber LED bulbs, and the clear lenses would make the turn signals much more apparent(I think that's why most of the more modern cars that I see have clear lenses and amber bulbs).

I have really bright LED bulbs already, but the clear lens would make it even more effective in the daytime. It's bright and also a color change, not just a flashing section of plastic.

(P.S. I can make a thread in the exterior accessories section if anyone would like recommendations on the LED bulbs I use- they're all just as bright as incandescents if not brighter, so they're viable.)
Old 27 Apr 2014, 03:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
How long has it been like that, its already rusted?
This happened yesterday. I don't know what that stuff is, but it isn't rust on the actual surface of the panel. It's some kind of powdery stuff, and where it came from is a mystery to me. Nearest I can tell, it came from the pillar.

Last edited by Kittera; 27 Apr 2014 at 03:32 pm.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 03:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I installed '06 taillights in my '05 - direct fit - no problem.

Later, I replaced them with a set of PTeaser housings and LED taillights.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.

Last edited by harrym; 27 Apr 2014 at 03:34 pm.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 03:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
I installed '06 taillights in my '05 - direct fit - no problem.
This is good news. I just hope I can convince my mother, the car's owner, to let me do it.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

yes you can modify the tail lights to fir you pt. The notches that lines up the socket are a little different. The damage is probably $2500. 0r more.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Apr 2014, 04:07 pm
Banned

Yep I agree, full coverage insurance should cover most of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
yes you can modify the tail lights to fir you pt. The notches that lines up the socket are a little different. The damage is probably $2500. 0r more.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 07:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Well, crap. USAA has totalled her. We're getting 2800 back, according to Mom. I'd love to be able to get another PT, but 2800 alone won't do it, and I don't know if my grandpa will be willing to go to the other half(I'm finding a few PT's around here for 5-6K). Unless I miraculously find a fundraising outlet, I think my time on these forums just got halted..
Old 02 May 2014, 03:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

There's absolutely no reason not to buy the car back and use the money to make the necessary repairs to secure the light and make it legal again. Don't let them just haul the car away when it's still fully functional.
zamfir2 likes this.