Advertisements
Right turn signal won't turn off

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2014, 07:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Right turn signal won't turn off

I recently replaced the clockspring in my 2001 pt limited, and did the fog light repair on my multi-function switch. Everything worked fine for about 100 miles, but now the right turn signal only turns itself off if I turn the steering wheel till it stops, before recentering.

I've done a web search, to no avail, and was curious if anyone here might know how to fix it. I'd like to get at least a general idea of what I'm going to be getting into before I start taking everything apart again.

I realize it's more of a convenience issue than anything, but I've only recently started fixing everything wrong with her, and I'd like to get my awesome car back to full working condition. Mechanically I'm down to my last big project, replacing the timing belt, water pump, and power steering pump (since they're all right next to each other, I'm just going to do it all in one fell swoop).

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 28 Apr 2014, 07:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Right turn signal won't turn off

I can't be of help specifically, but if you had to get into the steering wheel for the clockspring and MFS then something had to be put back to interfere with the turn signal. Although it didn't happen right away, something moved to stop the signal from turning itself off.

Busted_PT likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 08:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd start by taking out the MFS, and looking carefully at it and how the Right signal turns off.
Then you would have to follow Crewzin's advice and tackle the clockspring again.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Apr 2014, 08:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

On my spare multi switch, I played with the turn signals a bit since I've got it off the vehicle. There appears to be a plastic arm that swings out, and behaves differently based on which turn signal is on. The clockspring just has two bits that jut out the back to jostle the mf switch's arm in one direction or another.

Since it'll still shut off if I turn the wheel enough, I'm wondering if it might be something in the mf switch that's getting caught up. I'll replace it with my spare after I get off work tonight, and see if the issue is resolved. If it is, then I'll dig into the malfunctioning one and let you guys know what I find.

Thanks for the advice, guys!
Old 28 Apr 2014, 08:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Post some pics. We have a ton of stuff that relates to the belt change if you want to research it it first. I'll link you a couple.

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!
Replacing the timing belt 2.4L (without a lift!) -Detail instructions

Check out the How to's if you havent already.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Apr 2014, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've narrowed down the possible causes. Switched out to my spare mf switch, and the problem persists, which tells me it's related to the interaction of the toggle arm on the mf switch, and the corresponding arm on the clockspring. I got a quick look at the back of the clockspring when I had the mf switch off, and both of the arms are intact on it. I saw no wear on either one, which tells me it isn't a problem akin to the fog light issue...

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's happening because the clockspring I pulled in the scrap yard was missing the 2 black clips on the back that hold it steady on the steering column, though why that would only affect 1 of the turn signals, I don't know. I also don't know how I would go about fixing it without getting yet another clockspring where the clips are intact (which to me seems like such a waste)... I'm gonna have to brain storm on this one.

Any suggestions are welcome
Old 04 May 2014, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Finally resolved the issue.

It took a few days of trial and error, but I finally found out what was causing it. The black tabs on the back of the clockspring are there to hold it flush to the steering column, not keep it from spinning. I took the covers off, and watched everything as I turned my wheel, when I turned right, the clockspring would lift away from the column just a hair, which was just enough to keep the arms on the back from hitting the turn signal shutoff lever.

After a handful of broken zip ties and frustration, I finally said screw it. I just used as much of every adhesive I had in the house, and glued it to the steering column. I've got a spare column, so I'm not worried about the clockspring going bad and having to struggle removing it in the future.

After copious amounts of double sided tape, super glue, and some silicone to fill the gaps to make sure dirt doesn't get in and weaken the rest of the glue, my turn signals now work as they should again, lol.

Including the fix for the fog light (I opted for an empty soda can and some epoxy there), my car is working it's way into the hearts of my coworkers as MacGyver's dream car
Old 04 May 2014, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good detective work figuring out the turn signal.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles