Advertisements
Engine Oil Level Low

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2014, 06:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Engine Oil Level Low

Hi guys,

Sorry for the newbie question; today as I checked the oil level of the engine I realized it's below the min. I'm only 2000 miles in, I was wondering if I could/should top up the oil myself, or if I should replace it along with the filter.
Related to the first question; I didn't do it myself the oil change 2000 miles ago, so I am not sure what oil my mechanic used. Does it matter, as long as I use the right oil for my 2004 PT?

Thanks for your help!
Old 03 May 2014, 06:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Oil Level Low

Add a litre of the same grade if you know it... or if you're a Merican I think they call it a quart ... either you have a buttload of spots in your driveway or your rings are starting to go... or your " Mechanic " never added enough in the first place.. either way... adding oil every few weeks is sometimes a fact of life... I had a 94 tercel that I added oil when I checked the gas ! LOL.
Visiting said " mechanic " and asking wtf is often a choice too ! All the best
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.

Last edited by Vlefaive; 03 May 2014 at 06:17 pm.
Old 03 May 2014, 06:17 pm
Young Cruiser

No spots on the driveway. What rings?
Unfortunately I don't know the grade that was used.
Old 03 May 2014, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Put in 5w 30. That's what should be in it.
You can mix different weights of oil and regular and synthetic oil with no problems at all.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 May 2014, 02:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharta1979 View Post
No spots on the driveway. What rings?
Unfortunately I don't know the grade that was used.
Rings as in Piston Rings. I wouldn't worry about it though. I always change my own oil, but if someone else changed it I would check it. I would check it on a level surface after the car has set for about 10 minutes or so after driving.

Be sure to add oil, Not a good idea to be running below the "MIN" mark. Oil keeps your motor happy. So keep an eye on the level every week and see how much it consumes.
Old 04 May 2014, 03:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

My wife likes to wait until the pretty light with the " Genie lamp " comes on with her car... It's a Ford though so I tell her just to ignore it.
rockandroller likes this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 05 May 2014, 10:23 am
Cool Cruiser

I have an 06 and get only 1000 miles before it needs more. I've look on the net and looks like I'm not the only one. Also as far as Chrysler is concerned it is not a problem.

For sure top off with 5w-30 and check oil level. Also check PCV valve make sure it is not clogged. If you put in synthetic try conventional oil next oil change. Also you can try a quart of Lucus oil (20 % of full oil) stabilizer and this may decrease the oil consumption.

After all this if the engine is running OK just drive it and keep an eye on the oil level every gas up. I don't think it is worth an engine job. Can run years this way depending on the problem.
Old 05 May 2014, 01:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Put in 5w 30. That's what should be in it.
You can mix different weights of oil and regular and synthetic oil with no problems at all.
That sounds practical.

I guess I'm pretty lucky, as far as oil consumption goes. Neither my 05 Touring nor my wife's 03 Camry burns much oil. By the time they are a quart low, it's time for a change.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 05 May 2014, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

odd but my o6 (and it is all highway driving) is really never low I do change it every month caruse I drive a lot but its usally right there on the full mark but then i use a quart of the Lusca oil stabluizer and 4 qusrts of castrol GTX 10W30 could be in a month its just not burning as much as some
Old 05 May 2014, 02:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Meanwhile, my 2004 NA 5-speed has used a quart every 1000 miles all the four years I've owned it.
No leaks, no drips, no smoke, no problems.
An oil catch can between PCV and intake manifold catches oil, quarter cups- not quarts.
As long as I watch it and add, I know my oil between 5000 mile changes has been 80% replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
That sounds practical.

I guess I'm pretty lucky, as far as oil consumption goes. Neither my 05 Touring nor my wife's 03 Camry burns much oil. By the time they are a quart low, it's time for a change.