PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Electric door locks not working?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zamfir2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2014, 06:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Electric door locks not working?

Hi all! I *just* picked up my new-to-me 2004 PT Turbo today. It came with a key and a separate fob with the usual lock, unlock and panic buttons. They did work when the seller showed me the car.

And now, while the doors will lock manually, or with the key, they won't lock or unlock using the door buttons OR the key fob. Everything else appears to be powered except the locks. Oh yeah. The mirror controls aren't working either, now. WTH?

If anyone can help, thank you.

Last edited by javamonster; 03 May 2014 at 10:03 pm.
Old 03 May 2014, 10:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Electric door locks not working?

Fuse #13 (10 amp) in the dash fuse block protects the RKEM and the power mirrors. If it is OK, check fuse #18 (20 amp) in the under-hood PDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamonster View Post
Hi all! I *just* picked up my new-to-me 2004 PT Turbo today. It came with a key and a separate fob with the usual lock, unlock and panic buttons. They did work when the seller showed me the car.

And now, while the doors will lock manually, or with the key, they won't lock or unlock using the door buttons OR the key fob. Everything else appears to be powered except the locks. Oh yeah. The mirror controls aren't working either, now. WTH?

If anyone can help, thank you.
Old 04 May 2014, 02:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Oh, crap. I was hoping it had something to do with the key fob. I did check to see if any codes were going to pop up in the odometer. None did, so that was clear.

Are these fuses something you have to special order over the internet, or can these be picked up at any ol' Pep Boys or local car shop?

And it's weird--the driver side mirror *will* move, but only to the left. The passenger side mirror won't move at all now. And I was able to adjust them this morning.

I'll take a look in the morning. I hope this works. I was really hoping I got a car that wasn't going to give me the pile of problems my (now crunched and totaled) '01 Honda Civic gave me.

Thanks. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 04 May 2014, 06:53 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Are these fuses something you have to special order over the internet, or can these be picked up at any ol' Pep Boys or local car shop?
Just plain old automotive fuses.
javamonster likes this.
Old 04 May 2014, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The interior fuse under the dash box cover is missing, therefore, I have no idea what each fuse is for. Looking for a diagram of the 2004 interior fuse box now so I can figure this out.
Old 04 May 2014, 03:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You say, "And it's weird--the driver side mirror *will* move, but only to the left. The passenger side mirror won't move at all now. And I was able to adjust them this morning."

If the mirror works at all, the fuse is likely not the problem. However, also check fuse #3 (20 amp) in the dash fuse block (for RKEM).

Are you saying that there in no fuse block to the left of the steering column?
Or are you saying the dash cover piece is missing?
The fuse location diagram molded into the inside of the dash fuse block cover.

Your fob battery may need replacing. The two problems may be separate, or you may have some serious electrical problems like corrosion. Corrosion problem in the mirror switch is DIY repairable.
Old 05 May 2014, 12:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry-- I meant that the COVER to the interior fusebox in the dash board is gone. I had to hunt all over to finally find a photo of the inside so I could figure out which fuse went to which function.

I did get a fuse tester and fuses, and tested just about all the mini fuses in the dash board fuse box. They were ALL okay, including the #13, 10, 3 & 1.

I also went under the hood to check THAT fuse, and it checked out as just fine. I'll double check tomorrow morning. I couldn't remember exactly which fuses it was, so I pulled & checked most of them.

Power Mirror: Yeah, I figured if there was *some* movement in the driver mirror, it wasn't a fuse. Gotta be the wiring somewhere in there. When I was checking the fuses in the dash, I noticed that the metal behind the fuse (clips, what have you) were a bit rusty, or corroded. I was a little surprised. The car's history from Car Check iindicated it went in for maintennance regularly.

EDITED TO ADD: The alarm seems to be just fine. There's also a click under the dashboard behind the radio when I use the key fob either open or close the power door locks. Also, the power switches on the doors do not work. The manual pegs work fine, as does using the key for the driver door and the liftback.

Yeah, it's probably the wiring. Crap.

Last edited by javamonster; 05 May 2014 at 12:10 am.
Old 05 May 2014, 12:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Electric door locks not working?

Quote:
There's also a click under the dashboard behind the radio when I use the key fob either open or close the power door locks. Also, the power switches on the doors do not work.
Since the power locks were working when you first got the car,it may just be bad coincedental timing....But,based on the symptoms your describing,it sounds like your RKE has gone bad,and will need to be replaced.