A/c problems on 06

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By charlesb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 May 2014, 04:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/c problems on 06

Hey all, new to the forums here so i'm not sure if this is the right section. However, my wife and I recently became proud owners of an 06 touring edition. It's been about a week now and we have noticed that it is burning off antifreeze pretty quickly, has stopped blowing cold ac, and while it hasn't overheated the temp gauge will fluctuate a little over half and go back down sometimes. Looking for some experience with this problem or technical advice.

I've tried burping the system and have filled the coolant twice in the last week.

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Old 04 May 2014, 04:54 pm
Banned

Default Re: A/c problems on 06

Welcome, what did you name your PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92 View Post
Hey all, new to the forums here so i'm not sure if this is the right section. However, my wife and I recently became proud owners of an 06 touring edition. It's been about a week now and we have noticed that it is burning off antifreeze pretty quickly, has stopped blowing cold ac, and while it hasn't overheated the temp gauge will fluctuate a little over half and go back down sometimes. Looking for some experience with this problem or technical advice.

I've tried burping the system and have filled the coolant twice in the last week.

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Old 04 May 2014, 04:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: A/c problems on 06

Have you been able to notice whether or not both high & low speeds are working on the cooling fan when running(especially with A/C running!).....You may have a blown fuse,bad relay,or the fan motor could have an issue.
Old 04 May 2014, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
The wife decided to name it Vi.

As for the fan high/low speed. Is there a specific way to tell? or do i just need to listen for an audible difference when it starts to heat up?
Old 04 May 2014, 05:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: A/c problems on 06

More than likely it's gonna be your high speed,if it's the cooling fan.
You should easily be able to tell audibly & even visually(it's very noticable)......
From a cold start it will obviously be using low speed,then when the temperature gets high enough,it should kick into high speed mode.
If it seems like high speed isn't coming on....Check the items I mentioned above,in that order;You can swap similar fuses & relays from non-critical systems(horn,hazard lights,wipers,etc.) to check for functionality.
Old 04 May 2014, 05:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Ya know Busa, for awhile, maybe for just a very short while, I thought you might have changed your ways, but your right back to where you were. A person comes here for help and all you can say is what did you name your PT. That sure was a big help.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 May 2014, 05:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Would that fan failing to switch over to high speed cause a ding in the passenger compartment? We've been noticing that after starting and driving around for a few minutes it will ding like it would for overheating or a seatbelt or so forth. But there are no lights that come on with the noise.

Thanks
Old 04 May 2014, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92 View Post
The wife decided to name it Vi.

As for the fan high/low speed. Is there a specific way to tell? or do i just need to listen for an audible difference when it starts to heat up?
Hey, welcome aboard!

Your problem might be caused by a bad cooling fan. This is a common problem on the 2nd gens (my '06 is on its 3rd fan).

To test your fan:

1. Make sure the engine is stone cold (not driven for at least 3-4 hours). Also, make sure your coolant is topped off. Raise your hood and start the engine. The fan should not run.

2. Turn on your A/C (keep your door open or roll down the windows so it won't cycle on and off). The fan should be running. (You'll hear it cycle on and you can feel the air.

3. After about 30 seconds, turn off the A/C. The fan should stop.

4. Wait until the engine reaches operating temperature (about 10 minutes). When the engine gets to temp, the fan should run. With the A/C off, it will cycle automatically.

When my fan stopped working, it was when the A/C was on (I can't remember if that's the high or low side). I also don't know why I've had two fans burn out on me, either. Replacing the fan took me about 90 minutes at shade tree mechanic pace; a pro could probably do it in under an hour.

Here are a couple of How-To's on this site to help:

A more in-depth test of your cooling system
Removing and replacing the fan (This is for the '01-'05, but the '06 is not all that different.)

And if it is your fan that's bad, here's how to fix the electric motor. I haven't tried this yet; I kept my old fan & I'll let everyone know if I ever get around to it.

Good luck, and please let us know how everything turns out.
randyincctx likes this.

2006 Base
Magnesium Pearlcoat
102k miles
Turning into Theseus' ship
Old 04 May 2014, 06:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hi Charles,

Almost got the same problem as the OP. My fan would turn on & cycle on high speed when the AC is off, thus the car isn't actually overheating. The low speed would run initially the first time you tunr on AC but wouldn't cycle and won't blow cool air.
Old 06 May 2014, 10:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hello I am having problems with A/C in my 2006 Limited. When I took it to my mechanic I was informed that everything was working fine, and that the problem was in my PCM. I have been searching everywhere to find any data to back this up. He told me that the problem is that the PCM is not providing the proper signals to the actuators on the climate distribution assembly. Baffles are not opening or closing. I have no problem replacing this component, but I just want to be sure it is what really needs to be done.

Oh an Busa. I can't post the name I call often these days......

Grizz....