Fixing weirdly installed passenger seatbelt

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RedLimited
  • 1 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2014, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fixing weirdly installed passenger seatbelt

I have a passenger side seatbelt that is twisted but not in 180 degrees (that I could fix by bending the belt through the strap).

As you can see in the pictures it is just half way twisted which makes me suspect that the previous owner installed it incorrectly. I figured if I can remove the lower bolt and give it one turn on itself it would probably fix. Problem is I tried to use one of my hexagonal tip tools (don't know the proper name) but it won't budge. The bolt has a more star shape texture so I wonder If I am using the wrong tool for the job. Also, do I have to put force clockwise or counterclockwise?

I have attached pictures so that you can see what I mean about the condition that belt is in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-05-03 15.06.58.jpg (92.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-05-03 15.07.24.jpg (97.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 06 May 2014, 04:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fixing weirdly installed passenger seatbelt

that is not a Hex bolt it is a torqx or a star a hex will strip it out a auto parts store will sell you a indivual one
Old 06 May 2014, 05:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
that is not a Hex bolt it is a torqx or a star a hex will strip it out a auto parts store will sell you a indivual one
Agree - I'd get a socket with the tip - it'll be tough to loosen, and you'll need the leverage of a socket wrench.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 May 2014, 06:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You Might want to do it in the parking lot of the autoparts store if they offer lender tools. Advanced auto and autozone both do if you happen to have one near you. The reason is: the bolt is to be torqued to spec ( I believe 32ft/lbs). This isn't a part you want coming loose due to improper tightening, or breaking from over tightening.

Happy Fixin'

Planned upgrades- Heated seats, 18-19" rims, chrome grille, drilled/ slotted rotors, clean up the calipers/ paint the wheel wells, 3" cat back exhaust, new spark plug wires, Speakers all around, Either new head unit or an AUX integration.

Last edited by RedLimited; 07 May 2014 at 07:11 am.
Old 11 May 2014, 02:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Fixing weirdly installed passenger seatbelt

Have you tried pulling the belt all the way out?.....Sometimes they can get twisted onto the take-up reel.
If you do remove any bolts for the safety-belt/s,when re-installing be sure to always torque the the bolts to 30 ft/lbs,and use Loctite-262 (blue) thread locker on the threads......Remember you are working on a safety item.
RedLimited likes this.