Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating, losing fluid after parking, squealimg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2014, 12:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Overheating, losing fluid after parking, squealimg

I bought an 01 cruiser in the end of February. The day I brought it home, we noticed the smell of coolant and upon investigation, realized the heater core was bad and there was rust in the radiator. I returned it to the carlot and told him I wanted it fixed and the cooling system flushed. A week later he told me it was done and I came back for the car. I'm not jonestly sure he did anything.

I didn't notice any problems from then(first week of March) until Easter weekend when I suddenly noticed it was losing coolant somewhere and getting a bit hot. Not pegged red or anything, but it was hot. We also noticed a sort of squealing noise in the front right side.

A few days later, my dad looked at it and we realized that the hose from the radiator to the overflow tank was completely blocked with chunky orange stuff(possibly rust, idk). He got that clear, thought that was the problem, but it didn't stop.

Since then if I drive more than 10/15 minutes it overheats. There is coolant in it, I checked before we left, and I heard what sounded like it boiling inside when.i pulled in today for an.appointment. I didn't notice it leaking anything while running, but when.i came out of my appointment, there was a pool of coolant there. luckily the weather has been warm the past few days, because I have just been topping it off with water every time I go anywhere and not driving more than I must.

I recently lost my job andneed this car to get to a new one, but I can't afford a giant garage bill right now. Please tell me one of you fabulous people has an idea what this could be? I have had a few people guess everything from the head(fyi, no white smoke, no milky oil), a water pump, the radiator, or a hose.

Oh one more thing, my heater isn't working now, its just not getting hot. Idk if that info is important.
Old 07 May 2014, 01:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating, losing fluid after parking, squealimg

I'd say you have air in the system. bleed the heck out of it, then bleed it some more. good chance that should remedy the situation.
Old 07 May 2014, 01:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok I will Google how tobdo that, thank you so much.
Old 07 May 2014, 10:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cheapest is a radiator cap - hard to visually see if it's bad, just replace it.
Some info about your PT - miles on it?
Does the engine fan come on when it warms up? If not, there's your problem.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 May 2014, 08:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

The fan is working.

There are 108,000 miles on the car.

Tags
losing coolant, no heat, overheating