PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pleasantly Surprised

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 May 2014, 01:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pleasantly Surprised

So I got a pleasant surprise today from my car. A totally awesome 31.2 MPG!!!!! I had to take a 150 mile road trip today so I filled up the car and immedieatly hit the freeway. I drove about 65-70 the whole way. I ran my errands and hit the freeway back home. I usually leave the EVIC on the temp/compass screen but when I got home I was scrolling through the other options and stopped when I noticed the AVG MPG said 30.9. I didn't believe it so I went and filled up the tank again to check and got these results!

307.6 miles on 9.83 gallons of gas= 31.2 MPG!!!

I never bought the PT for it's gas mileage but I thought this was pretty awesome. My car is a 5 speed and a complete base model without AC or any other options other then power windows and locks (which I think were standard on all models). So that might have something to do with this.

Anyway, I have to take the same trip in a couple weeks so I'm going to do this again and see if I get the same results. Just wanted to share.
Old 08 May 2014, 07:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pleasantly Surprised

Don't be surprised if next tank is lousy mileage - there is too much variation with gas pump shutoffs to figure mileage on a tankful - it takes an average of several tanks to get a real picture of mileage.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 May 2014, 08:11 am
Senior Cruiser

And it is very well known that that the computer is very inaccurate when it comes to figuring mpg.
Old 08 May 2014, 08:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If your MPG is accurate when checking doing the math after a couple of fill ups then you are doing better then most.
I am not sure what part of the country you are in but we tested some fuels (brand) here in Ca a week or so ago and found the the summer mix has now been starting to show up. This would account for many others getting a slightly higher MPG then usual? At least here in Cali?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 May 2014, 09:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

in some states you can NOT pump youtr own gas however here in missouri we can an when i fill up I FILL IT UP so doing the math does work for me plus i pretty much know how many gallons it will take( its my everyday drive) that would be GREAT but i have a auto so there is that

Congradulation hope it continues
Old 08 May 2014, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
in some states you can NOT pump your own gas however here in Missouri we can an when I fill up I FILL IT UP so doing the math does work for me plus I pretty much know how many gallons it will take( its my everyday drive) that would be GREAT but i have a auto so there is that

Congratulation hope it continues
A little hint for you and others ...If you live in a state like Oregon that by State regulations/laws does not normally allow the pumping of your own fuel....next time if you want to pump your own fuel simply tell them you have a modified vehicle and pump your own.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 May 2014, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

any idea WHY they do not let you pump your own??? Im sure there is some so called reason and to be honest it is probaly driven by STUPID PEOPLE
Old 08 May 2014, 01:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
any idea WHY they do not let you pump your own??? Im sure there is some so called reason and to be honest it is probaly driven by STUPID PEOPLE
You know IDK?? They always just say it is the law. I just have read the internet information on it myself.

The only thing I know is if you inform the attendant that you have a modified vehicle in any state that relieves them of responsibility and they must allow you to be able to fuel your own vehicle. I have been doing it for years. Somehow letting some one slam a fuel nozzle into my cars, motorcycles or trucks and not watching where that last drop falls when you finish never set right with me.

Can you see a gas station jock debating with me about this?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 May 2014, 02:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

NO I really cant and to ber honest Im pretty much the same way I will put fuel in my GoldWing thank you if you feel you must do it then you are WRONG
Old 08 May 2014, 03:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I believe Oregon and New Jersey are the only states that criminalize 'you pump'.

In Oregon, motorcyclists nearly always control the nozzle themselves.
When fueling my cruiser, I usually stand by the filler and handle the valve myself to slow the flow (damn modern nozzles). I listen and (did i do that!!) top up.

Now how about 'check yourself out' groceries, etc? No thank you. Not until I am covered by workmans' comp insurance while doing some laid off worker's job so the Koch Brothers' can afford to buy Russia too.