PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New here....and a question

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 May 2014, 08:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: New here....and a question

Ok, well that gives me a place to start anyways. Truly appeciate any and all help folks!
Old 26 May 2014, 09:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If I were you, I'd try:
Radiator cap
Thermostat
Cooling system flush

If you have to go to the flush and that doesn't work, then you need a serious evaluation -- might need a new radiator or a new water pump...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 May 2014, 05:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, first thanks for all the input. Update....today I drained the sysytem and flushed it, changed the thermostat and rad cap. Took it for a drive and it was a bit better, but still warm to me. Temp gauge went to next mark above 3 o clock. Reading other info I checked the fan.....someone said start car and turn on AC and the fan should run, it didnt. Nor was it running when I got back from test drive, and it was surely warm. Is it a fan? Relay? Thoughts?
Old 29 May 2014, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Probably the fan. Lots of owners have had to throw a new one in. You can check if it is the fan by getting hold of a couple long wires. Get in back of the fan and release the clip that attaches the fan motor to the harness (see picture). Inside the part of the clip from the fan you'll see 3 pins. the middle pin is the ground wire. one pin on the side connects to a yellow wire (high speed) and the other outside pin connects to a green wire (low speed). The two wires that I mentioned at the beginning, you want one to go to a hot source (battery?) and one to a ground (your choice). Touch the ground wire to the middle pin and the hot wire to either pin on the outside of the ground. Depending on which side you touch the hot wire, the fan will come on either high speed or low speed. If it doesn't come on one side or the other, that part of the fan is burnt out.

Old 29 May 2014, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin! I may just do that test in the morning. Also, in searching, there doesnt seemto be a fuse, but there is a relay for the cooling fan. Is that worth changing first? Pricey part?
Old 29 May 2014, 07:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You have a fuse and two relays in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) in the engine compartment.

Fuse#5 and two separate relays (high and low).

PDC

Won't hurt to put new ones in to see if that works but 99 out of 100 it's the fan motor.

You can pick up the fan and housing for about $100. We can show you how to change it out in under 2 hours. Minimal skills needed.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 29 May 2014 at 07:13 pm.
Old 29 May 2014, 07:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Great, thanks! I will probably do the fan test in the morning, and have already found your post on it, and the vid you linked to, looks pretty simple, thanks!
Old 29 May 2014, 07:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Also, for the test, any special wire? I have lots of 12 gauge house wire left from a project, will that work ok?
Old 29 May 2014, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, just make sure when you touch the pins for the test, the wire doesn't touch the other one or another pin. If it's multi-strand wire, twist the strands together to make one contact point.
Old 29 May 2014, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks a bunch bud! I will check back in tomorrow with an update! Cruise On....