Advertisements
Motor Mounts

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2014, 04:57 pm
Banned

Default Motor Mounts

Does anyone know what the "tab" is on the end of some of the motor mounts on the PT?

List: Engine Mount - 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser | O'Reilly Auto Parts

On the above link, the longer mount (lower) you can see in the pics that one has a "tab" on the side of the bigger end, and one does not. What is this for? Some kind of a harmonic balancer to offset the engine vibration? I inquired at O'Reilly and they don't know, I inquired at my dealership and they don't know. If you look at the same mounts on the AutoZone website, for the one without the "tab" they have it listed for the convertible PT.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jnwygZ93xoa
Old 17 Jun 2014, 05:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Motor Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Does anyone know what the "tab" is on the end of some of the motor mounts on the PT?

List: Engine Mount - 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser | O'Reilly Auto Parts

On the above link, the longer mount (lower) you can see in the pics that one has a "tab" on the side of the bigger end, and one does not. What is this for? Some kind of a harmonic balancer to offset the engine vibration? I inquired at O'Reilly and they don't know, I inquired at my dealership and they don't know. If you look at the same mounts on the AutoZone website, for the one without the "tab" they have it listed for the convertible PT.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jnwygZ93xoa
Not sure. They were there on Neons too. Definitely do not need it, that's for sure lol.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 05:40 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGT View Post
Not sure. They were there on Neons too. Definitely do not need it, that's for sure lol.
There must be a purpose for it. See the following link for an issue that I am battling right now with a shop. In the parts manual for my PT, it lists the motor mount with the "tab" as the correct part for my vehicle. But the shop in question installed O'Reilly mounts that don't have the tab. They have installed (2) lower mounts in the past (6) months.

Shop Repairs
Old 17 Jun 2014, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It is suppose to reduce vibration at idle.

I am not sure I have ever noticed a difference in the ones I replaced over the last 2 years with and with out it? Once I change and properly set up the mounts the vibration issue if it was one of the issues prior the mount change was gone?

IDK for sure?
Superman1984 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Jul 2014, 04:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Correct It's partly to dampen the vibrations and should the mount rip so bad that the engine comes up that Tab should in theory act as a stop to keep the engine from slamming back into the firewall No BS. I've seen various other cars with them and an old timer 60+ years old told me that once when I was around 16-20 something. Do I win a prize?
Old 13 Jul 2014, 05:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman1984 View Post
Correct It's partly to dampen the vibrations and should the mount rip so bad that the engine comes up that Tab should in theory act as a stop to keep the engine from slamming back into the firewall No BS. I've seen various other cars with them and an old timer 60+ years old told me that once when I was around 16-20 something. Do I win a prize?
The only problem with that is that the tabs can't hit anything. There is nothing close to them. So they can't restrain the engine in any way. I though it to be some kind of counter weight to help with vibration. Just a guess on my part.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Jul 2014, 06:14 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The only problem with that is that the tabs can't hit anything. There is nothing close to them. So they can't restrain the engine in any way. I though it to be some kind of counter weight to help with vibration. Just a guess on my part.
I would go with some type of anti-vibration or counter-balance. Below is a pic of the new OEM mount recently installed on my PT. Note that the "tab" area is at the front side of the engine and this also goes for the upper mount, so the "tabs" would not make any contact with the firewall as they are on the opposite side of the engine. Also note that the "tab" on the new mount is much heftier than earlier mount versions. On the upper mount it is just a piece of metal screwed onto the mount, but this larger "tab" is actually in the casting.