Old 19 Jun 2014, 12:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk

How to Get Good Car Repair Advice

SEE WEBSITE FOR GOOD INFORMATION:

Car Repair Advice
__________________________________________________ ____________

Automotive Forums

Another source of information many people use on the internet are automotive forums. There are hundreds of forums dedicated to specific vehicle makes and models as well as more general automotive forums. Forums contain a wealth of information, but also a lot of misinformation and conflicting information.

The typical forum user will post a question in hopes that other forum users will respond and offer an answer or advice on how to solve the problem. But with all forums, there is no guarantee that anyone will respond or that any responses they do receive will be accurate or helpful. It all depends on the other forum members and who posts a response. Many forum users are quite knowledgeable and can provide exactly the kind of answer you are looking for. Other forum users want to be helpful and may venture a guess or offer an opinion that may or may not be accurate or may be totally wrong. In other words, it may be hard to distinguish good advice from bad advice.

Most forums are moderated to delete spam, rants and off-topic posts and comments that don't belong on the forum. But in most instances, the accuracy of the posts and responses is left up to the forum users. There's no editing or vetting or review of the comments that are posted. Consequently, if inaccurate or incorrect responses are posted to a question, other more knowledgeable users may or may not challenge a post or offer additional information.

We've seen many forum responses degenerate into endless bickering between conflicting points of view. We've also seen a lot of posts that totally contradict one another. There's nothing wrong with a good debate provided the people involved know what they are talking about. But unless there is some resolution to the debate, or some serious fact checking involved, the person who posted the original question may be left confused and no closer to finding an answer than when they started.
chuzz, wingman55 and JimBippy like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Apr 2016 at 04:18 pm.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 05:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk

I thought we all new this already. At least to our own perspective.
767skyking likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Mar 2015, 01:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Time to bring this up again!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Mar 2015, 03:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
How to Get Good Car Repair Advice
This one is simple! Ask an ASE tech!... One stop shop, just ask NITRO!

Old 23 Mar 2015, 02:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I will add another point to this. If the question has already been asked, when you do a search, it may not yield the results you are wanting, which in turn creates duplicate posts for the same thing. The search feature is only as good as the words you are searching for.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 23 Mar 2015, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Very cool website.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 23 Mar 2015 at 09:24 am.
Old 22 May 2015, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Owning a PT Cruiser and being a shade tree DIY “red neck” “grease monkey” mechanic requires that you have or access to: To be successful accomplishing diagnostic and general repairs you should have these minimum items. Otherwise seek a service shop with at least one ASE Mechanic or better a ASE Diagnostic or Master Technician.
You can NOT expect to forum seek repairs even with good advice from experienced members without the basic tools.

*OBDII/CANbus Scanning Tool with Readiness access

Digital Volt/ohm Meter

Cylinder Compression tester

Vacuum/Pressure tester

Fuel Pressure tester

Digital Battery Load tester

Probe power Test Light

Factory service manual or at least aftermarket publication repair manual i.e. Haynes Chilton, etc.

*This is by far the most important to have. Without it you CAN NOT expect to be truly successful at Diagnosing DTC and especially multiply DTCs.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 May 2015, 02:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's a fair list above. But for the DIY guy and gal, here's my suggestion on these:

Owning tools is always better than not owning tools. I have a little tool shed/shop that is bulging at the seems with stuff. But I'm a pack rat and hate to pass up good deals on tools when I come across them. And YES, I am saying this directly at NitroPT because I don't want to have one of those long protracted forum debates he seems to like so much.

For the rest of us that might not be able to afford a lot of specialty tools and don't work on cars everyday, here's some ideas that I've used in the past when my funds were tighter:

1. *OBDII/CANbus Scanning Tool with Readiness access - My little $19 OBDII scanning tool has done the trick 98% of the time no matter what I was working on. These read fine on CANbuss systems and will clear the codes when needed. This is still what I use today. If I need more, I go to the local Autozone where they will gladly read my codes with the "Big" meter. The DIY guy or gal will likely need to read up more on "readiness codes" before this becomes of use. And it only applies to the PT Cruiser in limited cases.

2. Digital Volt/ohm Meter - Go ahead and buy one of these. They are as cheap as $10. I currently have a Craftsman digital that I paid about $15 during a Christmas sale. Plus, these are good for much more than just car work.

3. Cylinder Compression tester - Autozone has these in their "Loan A Tool" program. So you can use them for free since Autozone will give you back your deposit when you return it. There's only special cases when the DIY guy or gal will actually need one of these. This usually involves blown head gaskets and misfire problems. It's also good just to gauge the health of an older engine.

4. Vacuum/Pressure tester - These are very cheap to buy for under $20. But I have rarely ever needed one. They are most useful when adjusting carburetors which most cars no longer have. And again, Autozone has them to loan out when one is needed. They have the little hand-squeezed vacuum pump too.

5. Fuel Pressure tester - I have never needed one of these and don't own one. On fuel injected cars with pumps in the tanks, it is usually very easy to determine if you have pressure either by depressing the Schrader valve or loosening a fuel line fitting while the key is on. This is called a qualitative test as opposed to a quantitative test with a gauge. If you have a problem where a quantitative test is required, I believe some Autozones do have the fuel pressure tester to loan. Also these are very cheap on eBay. The ones there are likely to be cheaply made. But they would likely serve the DIY guy or gal for limited use.

6. Digital Battery Load tester - These are not really needed by the DIY guy or gal and they are expensive. First, a battery needs to be fully charged before being load tested. So the DIY'er will need a battery charger if he or she plans to do this at home. And if so, the old-style analog dial-meter load tester can still be bought at places light Harbor Freight for under $30. There's plenty of online instructions on how to use these. A digital meter offers very little that you cannot do with the old-style load tester. That said, it's often easier for the DIY guy or gal just to remove the battery, take it to a place like Autozone, have them charge the battery overnight and then load test it the next day. This is a pretty definitive test and it is completely free.

7. Probe power Test Light - This is a must-have. Even the fancier test lights have gotten very cheap. I usually keep several basic test lights new in the package at the same time and just throw them away if they quit working. I think I have a better one some where but I don't use it. Also the Digital Volt/ohm Meter listed above will do the same thing and more. But the simple test light is often more convenient to use when checking for 12 volt power.

8. Factory service manual or at least aftermarket publication repair manual i.e. Haynes Chilton, etc. - Always good to have. Most of this is available online for free. Some Chilton manuals are better then others. I haven't bought one since the internet came of age. Forums are sometimes better than manuals because you can sometimes get reports on how DIY's actually did the job. And YouTube videos are often the very best.

Again, I offer this from the DIY perspective. This is not to disregard or conflict with anything NitroPT posted on this subject. Owning a lot of tools is like owning a bunch of guns. I don't shoot them all, but it's really cool to brag about them to my buddies.

PS: Once you have a lot of tools, your family and friend will want to borrow them. And no matter how good these people are, they will NOT return your tools. So it's always good to maintain a bucket full of very cheap tools from the dollar store or from garage sales. Then when someone ask to borrow something, you give them the super cheap tool and forget about it. That's how you keep tools and friends at the same time.
Cat22, wingman55 and JimBippy like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Nov 2017 at 09:59 am.
Old 22 May 2015, 04:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You forgot to add a ....BFH
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 22 May 2015, 04:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My list was carefully considered for a "Do It Yourself" home repair mechanic.

A Battery load tester range from 25 bucks and up. It is a very important tester to have as most issues on a PT Cruiser are electrical related.

A vacuum/pressure tester can tell you a lot about the health condition of an engine.

The readiness area of a scanning tool is not one to read DTC or understand anything except to determine if when clearing DTCs the readiness area is positive or in the green. SIMPLE!

The complete list of suggested tools that will work with any internal combustion gasoline engine may be an investment of less than 200 with thrifty shopping even less then 100.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN