Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt/ possible bent valve?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2014, 01:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt/ possible bent valve?

I was cruising in my 07 PT touring at about 60mph and 2.5krpm when the engine light came on and the gas pedal stopped working. I towed it to a shop and they said the timing belt is broken.

They quoted $800 for the timing belt replacement and said that even if they replace the timing belt, the engine might not work because a valve might be bent. So I have 2 questions:

1) how likely is it that a valve got bent?

2) There are other options other than pouring $800 on a possible fix to find out if a valve is bent, right? I've heard of a bore scope being something shops might have and can check for bent valves relatively cheap.

I really can't afford a new car and was wondering if you all had any advice on the situation. $800 seems ridiculous without the guarantee the car is gonna work, I want to check if the valve is bent without spending such a ludicrous amount of money to check.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 02:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt/ possible bent valve?

If you haven't yet please introduce your self. And your PT.
Mileage, model, engine?

The only way to check is, as soon as the new belt is on and timed, before assembly of all the other covers, belts, mounts....
is to do a compression check of each cylinder. The valves in this motor can hit each other and bend and just by looking you cannot tell even with the head off, but they will not hit the piston.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 23 Jul 2014, 06:32 am
Veteran Cruiser

Hasn't it been posted here many times that it's almost impossible for the valves to slap in this engine..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 23 Jul 2014, 06:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
If you haven't yet please introduce your self. And your PT.
Mileage, model, engine?

The only way to check is, as soon as the new belt is on and timed, before assembly of all the other covers, belts, mounts....
is to do a compression check of each cylinder. The valves in this motor can hit each other and bend and just by looking you cannot tell even with the head off, but they will not hit the piston.
Yes it is possible, but almost never happens. Engine should be fired up with just the belt on while still open to be sure all is well. This is the best answer I have. Thats not a horrible price for the belt by a professional shop.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Jul 2014, 07:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Hi Joey, Make sure they replace the water pump too. Since the timing belt turns the water pump, when they replace the timing belt they will be right there! If they do not change it and your water pump fails later, it will be another 800 bill as they have to open it am do the same job basically a second time! Much better to kill two birds with one stone and re[lace both at the same time.
boonie2 likes this.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 07:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Have them take a good look at the timing belt tensioner also. They do go bad and like was just said, they need to open it all again if that goes bad.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 07:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Yes it is possible, but almost never happens. Engine should be fired up with just the belt on while still open to be sure all is well. This is the best answer I have. Thats not a horrible price for the belt by a professional shop.
Agree. Actually, $800 is a good price - if they replace water pump and tensioner as well.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Jul 2014, 03:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

I just replaced mine after it snapped going about 75 MPH, last weekend.

It runs like a brand new car

The theory I heard (and it makes pretty good sense), is if the belt snaps, the valves are not going to turn any more, since they are disconnected from the crank, and each other (cams) for that matter.

The goofy thing is, even the instruction sheet from the belt replacement kit stated the 2.4 was an interference motor, and of course it is NOT.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 23 Jul 2014, 03:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

seems odd that this is such a HUGE deal im guessing there must be some misinformation on the chrysler site about the PT motor
Old 23 Jul 2014, 04:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Hi Joey, Make sure they replace the water pump too. Since the timing belt turns the water pump, when they replace the timing belt they will be right there! If they do not change it and your water pump fails later, it will be another 800 bill as they have to open it am do the same job basically a second time! Much better to kill two birds with one stone and re[lace both at the same time.
That's a REALLY good idea get a "kit" with the belt , water pump , tentioner and idler .. do it ALL at the same time or you'll be sorry .. look around , Kits range from $100 and change up............ might as well check the motor mounts too since they need to come off anyway ....

Tags
repair, timing belt, valve