Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What causes the Radiator Fan to die?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2014, 02:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default What causes the Radiator Fan to die?

Hello folks!

It has been a while since I was last on here! I am sure some of you remember me, the newbies may not haha!

Anyway I am on here because I am having an issue. I am on my third radiator fan in 4 years on my 2002 PT cruiser. Luckly after the first replacement I went with a dorman for the lifetime warranty so I am not having to pay for any replacements but still... When it is hot like today I do not want to be out replacing this fan. Not to mention my wife doesnt listen and drives it anyway with the AC on and all and she lets it overheat. I am sure by now there has to be a gasket leak somewhere and it frustrates me.

So I ask of you people. What is it that kills our radiator fans? More specifically, what would cause my radiator fan to die so often? And could this thing be what causes most PT fans to die a gruesome death?

The answer to this may lie in a wiring diagram for the fan.. But before I speculate further here is my experience so far.

I put in the new fan and it sounds great! After a few months the fan does not sound as loud as it used to but still kicks in. After a few more months the fan kicks in but the car overheats if it sits still for a very extended amount of time (10 minutes). After a couple of months the fan stops working all together, the motor is typically toasted by then.

So from my experience it could be that either

A: My fan is on so much that the fan experiences a lifetime of cooling in a few months (unlikely)

B: Something electrically is not right and is causing the fan to get to much or too little current or perhaps it has random spikes that causes intermittent issues that over time add up to this doom

C: I have been unlucky and gotten bad fans every time.

I am sticking with B. I do have a multimeter and could test all these things but since my wife has let it overheat so much I dont want to risk having to heat things up to test the voltage. I considered maybe my subwoofer and amplifier could be causing electrical strain on my system as well.

So I am wondering if there are any other electrical parts I could replace along with the fan to see if I can stop this problem from coming back again so soon. Also I am curious about the idea of adding in a fuse or something in line before the fan that will stabilize the amount of electricity flowing to the fan and prevent any spike or something.

Really this post is all about finding out exactly why our PTs fans have such a tendency to die and if another item could be causing all of our problems but manifests as the fan dying. It could be that my item is just so screwed up that it kills my fans much faster.

Thanks everyone!

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 24 Jul 2014, 02:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: What causes the Radiator Fan to die?

Newbies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check Dill's links and do add your cruiser to the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
Hello folks!

It has been a while since I was last on here! I am sure some of you remember me, the newbies may not haha!

... Not to mention my wife doesnt listen and drives it anyway with the AC on and all and she lets it overheat. I am sure by now there has to be a gasket leak somewhere and it frustrates me.

So I ask of you people. What is it that kills our radiator fans? ...
Hello Dill, so nice to see you.

Three replacement fan failures?? I'd blame Dorman.
However if you think a gasket leak is possible, I think an over-worked fan is too.
100000 miles on my original fan.
Stay around, report back.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dill, in my experience, the fans die because of cheap brushes which wear out way too soon and it's usually the low speed brushes because that part of the fan runs most often. One or both brushes wear out and can't make contact with the center armature.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 04:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
Hello folks!

I put in the new fan and it sounds great! After a few months the fan does not sound as loud as it used to but still kicks in. After a few more months the fan kicks in but the car overheats if it sits still for a very extended amount of time (10 minutes). After a couple of months the fan stops working all together, the motor is typically toasted by then.

Really this post is all about finding out exactly why our PTs fans have such a tendency to die and if another item could be causing all of our problems but manifests as the fan dying. It could be that my item is just so screwed up that it kills my fans much faster.

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I am on my THIRD fan on my '05 (with 85,000 on it) and wonder why they die so often, too. I have talked to people with other vehicles with electric fans and so many of them have never replaced their electric fan although it may have well over 100,000 miles on it. What gives?

Second unrelated item, why do the PTs weigh so much for their size? My manual says (dry) it weighs a click over 3100 lbs. That's exactly what my 1967 Pontiac Tempest weighed - and it had a V8
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 24 Jul 2014, 05:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
Yeah, I am on my THIRD fan on my '05 (with 85,000 on it) and wonder why they die so often, too. I have talked to people with other vehicles with electric fans and so many of them have never replaced their electric fan although it may have well over 100,000 miles on it. What gives?

Second unrelated item, why do the PTs weigh so much for their size? My manual says (dry) it weighs a click over 3100 lbs. That's exactly what my 1967 Pontiac Tempest weighed - and it had a V8
I am at nearly 120,000 miles - original fan.

Your 67 tempest did not have airbags, was not built for crash standards.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Jul 2014, 09:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Dill, in my experience, the fans die because of cheap brushes which wear out way too soon and it's usually the low speed brushes because that part of the fan runs most often. One or both brushes wear out and can't make contact with the center armature.

Upon taking mine apart with 100,000 on it, it was in the same condition as the picture, and I replaced it. But I to wandered why only one brush wore much faster than the other, I may have found the answer when I held up the motor in the orientation that it was installed, the brush that was worn was the one on the bottom and while I was beating on it with a hammer a lot of dirt fell out of the housing. The the bottom brush probably gets most of the dirt from road dust and the other brushes, so if you live in a dusty area or drive on non sealed roads the dust eats away at the bottom brush.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 25 Jul 2014, 01:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I am at nearly 120,000 miles - original fan.

Your 67 tempest did not have airbags, was not built for crash standards.
***** You are one of the very lucky ones. Our '02 fan just bit it with 89,000 on it. All cases of our fan replacements it's the high speed that goes kaput.

***** And about the Tempest? - Oh.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 25 Jul 2014, 02:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had a 71 T-37 painted it like the Starskey and Hutch Grand Torino mine had the fiberglass nose which was replaced after a cow with the NEW IMPORVED Rubber one the one where no paint would ever stick