PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
To Rebuild Original Transmission or Replace With Remanufactured?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2014, 07:31 pm
Banned

Default To Rebuild Original Transmission or Replace With Remanufactured?

If the transmission needs major work, which is better, rebuild the original that I know the driving and service history of, or replace it with a remanufactured? The dealer gave me a price of $2100 for a MOPAR remanufactured unit that carries a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty and about $600 labor to replace. But the service manager is not a real fan of these as they have had many problems with them. He said they have some MOPAR and some non-MOPAR parts. The service manager more favors rebuilding the original unit using all MOPAR parts and his most experienced transmission technician has 23 years experience at his dealership. They haven't given me a price yet on rebuilding, I have an appointment in a couple of weeks for further diagnosis of my vehicle. There are other remanufactured units available, and the pricing is all over the place, but what do you get? If it's like everything else, you get what you pay for. Buy something inexpensive and it probably won't last very long. This is an important part of the vehicle.

Last edited by rckstein; 01 Aug 2014 at 08:15 pm.
Old 01 Aug 2014, 08:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: To Rebuild Original Transmission or Replace With Remanufactured?

I just looked at car-parts.com and found many used trannys in the $450-$500
range. I looked and drove a few hours and Picked one up off a private party for $275 for my 03. Took slow poke here a few days to drop it in. Garage could do it in a day. ( Western PA)
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 01 Aug 2014, 09:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Usually it's cheaper to rebuild it, but that depends on the shop...they might only have 1-2 people who can actually rebuild it...the other 10 just pull & replace...lol.
It's more labor to rebuild it than just replacing it, but they're gonna keep your tranny; rebuild it, than sell it to someone else anyway.
Replacing it will get you a nice clean or painted case, while rebuilding yours probably wont.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 01 Aug 2014 at 09:11 pm.
Old 01 Aug 2014, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I am not going to get into things that most really don't know or have personal hands on experience so here is the short version..call it IMO..

The 23 year transmission guy and the dealership are lame!

It is really simple, the A604/41TE had many upgrades that corrected issues and other things over the years. They are not going to be selling a pre-problem transmission.

IMHO It is always a better idea to have yours rebuilt from a quality shop that can install a kit that is improved from the OEM, carries a warranty and if done correctly will be a better than new MOPAR transmission.

If you choose to consider a inexpensive rebuilt IMO you may want to call and talk to the supplier and ask if they re-build with the updates and also if the transmission re-build includes a new pump and Torque Converter. You may also ask under their warranty if any labor is covered if the transmission fails.

This is all I have to say in this thread unless I see someone posting some nonsense about A604/41TEs?

rckstein if you prefer you can pm me. Would be glad to help!
boonie2 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 01 Aug 2014 at 09:21 pm.
Old 01 Aug 2014, 10:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
If the transmission needs major work, which is better, rebuild the original that I know the driving and service history of, or replace it with a remanufactured? The dealer gave me a price of $2100 for a MOPAR remanufactured unit that carries a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty and about $600 labor to replace. But the service manager is not a real fan of these as they have had many problems with them. He said they have some MOPAR and some non-MOPAR parts. The service manager more favors rebuilding the original unit using all MOPAR parts and his most experienced transmission technician has 23 years experience at his dealership. They haven't given me a price yet on rebuilding, I have an appointment in a couple of weeks for further diagnosis of my vehicle. There are other remanufactured units available, and the pricing is all over the place, but what do you get? If it's like everything else, you get what you pay for. Buy something inexpensive and it probably won't last very long. This is an important part of the vehicle.

I rebuilt the one in my Sebring myself. I bought the stuff online along with the rebuilding manual and did it in the back yard. Nothing that hard about it. Just use a remanufactured front pump. They are fairly cheap and will cost less than the tools needed to do the front pump yourself. The only down side is that, in addition to the clutches and stuff that come in the rebuild kit, you will not know what hard parts you need until you've pull the tranny apart. I needed a sun gear and a couple of other parts.

Another option is just to get a good salvage transmission with a warranty. PT transmissions don't usually go bad and there's loads of good ones at the salvage yards. I can pick one up locally for less than $200 if I pull it myself. And it comes with a one year warranty.
UptownSport likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Aug 2014 at 10:23 pm.
Old 01 Aug 2014, 10:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I ahev said this before mine is out oif a serbrng it was $300 with a 2 year warenty(no labor covered) it had 85,000 wasnt happy about that but it was what i had to do t the time
Old 02 Aug 2014, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have rebuilt a couple of mopar transmissions. Not that hard. But did have access to a pro with many years of experience. Given what that dealer said I would stay away from them. The mixing of parts as the said is just stupid. It's not were you get it it's how you use it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Aug 2014, 10:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser THE SUPER WRENCH View Post
I rebuilt the one in my Sebring myself. I bought the stuff online along with the rebuilding manual and did it in the back yard. Nothing that hard about it. Just use a remanufactured front pump. They are fairly cheap and will cost less than the tools needed to do the front pump yourself. The only down side is that, in addition to the clutches and stuff that come in the rebuild kit, you will not know what hard parts you need until you've pull the tranny apart. I needed a sun gear and a couple of other parts.

Another option is just to get a good salvage transmission with a warranty. PT transmissions don't usually go bad and there's loads of good ones at the salvage yards. I can pick one up locally for less than $200 if I pull it myself. And it comes with a one year warranty.
Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!

Internal components were inexpensive back in my day, if fluid id contaminated you'll need a reman torque converter.
Old 02 Aug 2014, 10:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I have rebuilt a couple of mopar transmissions. Not that hard. But did have access to a pro with many years of experience. Given what that dealer said I would stay away from them. The mixing of parts as the said is just stupid. It's not were you get it it's how you use it.
Yep. I should have also mentioned that I too know a guy that is an expert on transmissions. And I thought I might need his advice in a couple of areas. But it turns out, everything needed is already on YouTube.

And I was able to get the hard parts I needed used off of eBay. I basically got all the main hard parts in a box. I think I paid about $40 for them. Somewhere, I likely still have the box with rest I did not use. But I'm not sure they are the same as in the updated PT transmission.

PS: I also knew I guy that had a transmission jack. Getting the tranny out of the Sebring wasn't too bad. No tranny jack needed for that. But putting it back would have been a real bear without a tranny jack since I didn't remove the subframe. I don't believe the PT would be that hard. When I was younger, I could have likely just laid the tranny on my chest and stabbed it into place with my arms. My daddy used to do that. But I'm too old for such foolishness now.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Aug 2014 at 10:45 am.
Old 02 Aug 2014, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cost wise comparing with new it is not worth getting a re-manufactured pump or Torque converter. These are 2 of the main parts that fail in a PT Cruiser A604/41TE transmission ? Both of these primarily fail due to heat.
Which is also a good reason to get a large aftermarket transmission cooler.

Unlike other Chrysler model vehicles the PT Cruiser seems to have a higher failure rate of theses transmission. In the few I have taken apart to learn more about them in all cases failure of the parts was heat related. The updates are not user friendly and are not easily done without prior experience in rebuilding these types of transmission. There are more area's of parts being assembled that need to be precisely measured for clearances.

IMO I would not recommend this to be a causal DIY home rebuild. PLEASE check for the updates and the special Assembly area's to understand what I am talking about!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 02 Aug 2014 at 11:08 am.