PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spark plug problem

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2014, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Spark plug problem

Hi there. Yesterday I started a tune-up on my Pt, and while removing the spark plugs, one broke off at the bottom. The thread is still in the head. I have tried an easy-out screw extractor, but it wont budge. I soaked it liquid wrench, and tried again, but nothing. Anyone had similar problems? My car has almost 140k, and put only about 2k on it, and it looks like these were the original plugs in it. Its in great condition otherwise...
Old 02 Aug 2014, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Spark plug problem

Are you saying that the plug socket head is gone and it is just the thread left?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Aug 2014, 04:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Are you saying that the plug socket head is gone and it is just the thread left?
ya, was thinking the same..never heard of that before.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 02 Aug 2014, 05:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion7718 View Post
ya, was thinking the same..never heard of that before.
no kidding?? If that is the case I can only see removing the head to get it out?

Well someone got carried away tightening with the last spark plug change that's for sure.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Aug 2014, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This is really bad. There's a fair chance that the threads in the aluminum head may come out with the spark plug based if you do get it out. Removal of the head may be the best option.

However, first I would remove the valve cover and try again. It's easier to get at the spark plugs with the valve cover removed. It's worth a shot.

Old 02 Aug 2014, 08:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

This has happened to me on an iron headed car. The way to get it out is to use an easy out. You have to use some force to push the easy out into the hole to bend the electrode out of the way at the same time. Also note if the piston is at the top of the bore, the easy out may not fit in all the way. Rotate the engine to lower the piston so your easy out can work.

Practice first outside of the car with an old sparkplug. Break/remove the porcelain from the plug leaving only the hole. Then choose the correct size easy out to fit inside the hole without the chance for it to fall into the cylinder. I can't imagine the easy out not working. If it is not working because there is porcelain in the plug still, then you have to get the porcelain out first before the easyout can work. This can be difficult but doable. If the porcelain falls inside the cylinder then you will have to remove the head.

Note as the other poster mentioned, since the plug was put in too tight without antiseize, the threads in the head may strip when you remove the plug. If they are ok then you will be very lucky.

Last edited by myckee; 02 Aug 2014 at 08:19 pm.
Old 02 Aug 2014, 08:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

IF you using and easy out that has straight flutes try using one that has the reverse course thread, thats what I had to use when I had twom break off the rear cylinders ob old 350 chev trk. But the reason they broke of was that they were rusted just below the ceramic,, not so with your I'm sure

Good luck, I you had a small tip torch on a flex hose try heating it a bit , amaxing what a little heat will do, but remember that all aluminum it can melt. Don't heat it with the easy out stuck in it.
myckee likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 02 Aug 2014, 08:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
IF you using and easy out that has straight flutes try using one that has the reverse course thread.....
Exactly. I assumed this is what he was trying to use, but he may not have. Definitely use the reverse coarse threaded one. As you apply more force to unscrew the plug end, the easy out will grip harder into the plug. I can't imagine it not coming out.
Old 02 Aug 2014, 08:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

It sounds to me that the plug was cross threaded in the first place. Removing the head may not be necessary.

In the old days I'd occasionally get one like this many times some farmer would break a spark plug off then drive his pickup into the shop with one plug out of the cylinder with just the threads in the hole. Made a strange noise when run that way.

If an easy out did not cure the problem I would try to drill it out and use a helicoil and not remove the head. Most of the time this worked nicely. Sometimes I'd have no choice but to remove the head and drill it out and then install a helicoil.

Once in a while I'd have to replace the head.
Old 02 Aug 2014, 09:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply guys. Yes, only the threaded part with the electrode. I tried an easy out, it was reverse thread. I broke my adapter to the drill while trying, had to go out and get a different size. Will try again tomorrow, lets see what happens. The valve cover is removed, as I was trying to change the gaskets as well. I would really hate to remove the head, so I will try everything I can before I do that. Thanks for the advice, I will keep you updated.