PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
It starts... it doesn't start... it starts...it doesn't start! Help !!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2014, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default It starts... it doesn't start... it starts...it doesn't start! Help !!

Alrighty so. I have a 2009 NON turbo pt cruiser just hit 100,000. Replaced the Battery less than a month ago when this problem started so I know its not that.

Here what it is doing. I go to start it and it doesn't turn over. The first time I just tried again and it started so I didn't think much of it. ( Told my Husband though) Then it did it some more and then it did it when we were on a mini vaycay to SC and my hubby was actually in the car this time the check engine light came on when it started, My hubby knows his way around cars and used to work for The Zone so he did the key dance, no codes popped we decided that we would eat and go to the closest car place to have it read well after we ate on our way to the closest Auto Zone the check engine light turned off. So we drove back to Fl. No problems for awhile then it did it again so he had the battery tested of course it was old like 5-6 years and tested bad so there came the new battery. It wasn't that simple still wouldn't start. My Hubby did the key dance and waited IT STARTED. He thought maybe when the battery was taken out if tripped the anti theft of something. ...... Then a week or so later it started doing it again. For instance I would leave to go some where it would start fine... go to come home nothing....try it try it try it.. wiggle the key it would start... Well today it wouldn't start... nothing.. you could hear the pump just not turning over so I left with my mom and was going to have it towed to the house . Before I called the tow I tried it one more time and did the key dance myself... no codes said done... I turned it IT STARTED. I drove straight home. Turned it off... Started it back 5 times in a row no problems. Now I just don't want to drive it because I don't want to get stuck some where. I normally would be a issue for my hubby but he isn't here due to work so any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

TIA
Old 05 Aug 2014, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: It starts... it doesn't start... it starts...it doesn't start! Help !!

I'm taking a guess that the ignition switch is going bad.
Next time it doesn't start, try pushing in on the key as you twist.
Not an expensive item.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Aug 2014, 03:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: It starts... it doesn't start... it starts...it doesn't start! Help !!

Ty.. I will deffinatly try that. As soon as it happens again I will post again.
Old 05 Aug 2014, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mine did the same thing one day out of the blue. It was the negative battery cable. I replaced the battery first, then the ignition switch, nothing. The cables were squeaky clean at every point, as a matter of fact, I had just gone over them just about a month before. I put the new cable on and it started right up.