PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone using a TWM Performance shift knob?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2014, 07:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Anyone using a TWM Performance shift knob?

Is anyone using one of these TWM Performance knobs? I always see this ad at the top of the page every time I come to this site. They are expensive but they look very nice and since they are made out of billet stainless, they weigh over 1 pound each.

I think it would have a really nice feel to have the heavy knob there when changing gears. So is anyone using one? Also since our cars have a press on knob, maybe I would have to cut some threads in my shift stick?
Old 06 Aug 2014, 08:19 pm
Banned

Default Re: Anyone using a TWM Performance shift knob?

Nope.
Old 06 Aug 2014, 09:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

hehe maybe I will be the first!! I really love the look and the idea of a weighty shift knob.

Do you know if I need to cut threads on the shaft or of there is some sort of press on threaded piece made for our cars?
Old 06 Aug 2014, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No. When you take the original knob off, there will be a plastic rod sticking up. Press the new knob down far enough on the shaft to keep the plastic rod pushed down. Then the lock will likely be permanently bypassed. It works that way on many cars. The only issue is if keeping the lock pressed does something unwanted electronically, I don't think it does on the 1st Gen PT's. I'm not sure about the 2006 and up 2nd Gen's. This is for the type knob that is secured directly with a set screw.

If you use a threaded ball shifter knob, you will most likely use an adapter that fits over the original shaft and is secured with a set screw. The top will be threaded for the new knob.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Aug 2014 at 09:37 pm.
Old 06 Aug 2014, 10:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
No. When you take the original knob off, there will be a plastic rod sticking up. Press the new knob down far enough on the shaft to keep the plastic rod pushed down. Then the lock will likely be permanently bypassed. It works that way on many cars. The only issue is if keeping the lock pressed does something unwanted electronically, I don't think it does on the 1st Gen PT's. I'm not sure about the 2006 and up 2nd Gen's. This is for the type knob that is secured directly with a set screw.

If you use a threaded ball shifter knob, you will most likely use an adapter that fits over the original shaft and is secured with a set screw. The top will be threaded for the new knob.
Thanks Handy! I forgot to mention that it is a manual car so there won't be a lock rod in the centre to worry about. Thanks for the info about the adapter with set screw. Do you know where I could buy one of those?
Old 07 Aug 2014, 08:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Thanks Handy! I forgot to mention that it is a manual car so there won't be a lock rod in the centre to worry about. Thanks for the info about the adapter with set screw. Do you know where I could buy one of those?
The original 1st Gen manual shift knob is press fit with an internal spring lock that catches a notch on the shaft. The knob will pop off with pressure. If you don't have a rubber mallet, you can cover the knob with a rag and place a large open end wrench below on the shaft. Then hit the wrench in an upward direction with a regular hammer.

And there are literally thousands of aftermarket knobs for sale on eBay and in parts stores that use set screws or grommets.

shifter knob | eBay

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...Knobs/_/N-4aij

List: Shift Handles (Universal) Knobs | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Custom Shift Knobs, Cool Shift Knobs, Shifters & Custom Interior Accessories American Shifter

And here's a bunch of threads from this forum on the subject of shifter knobs:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pt+c...857&gws_rd=ssl

And here's some links on shift adapters with set screws. Others on this forum can likely tell you more.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...screw&_sacat=0

http://www.amazon.com/American-Shift...pter+set+screw

https://www.google.com/search?q=shif...h=857#imgdii=_
myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 Aug 2014 at 08:41 am.
Old 07 Aug 2014, 09:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

they have adapters for unthreaded shifters like ours. Threaded Adapters | TWM Performance Threaded Adapters

i always preferred resin knobs over metal as they don't get hot/cold and they aren't heavy. i was reading that the heavy knobs were hard on transmissions for cars like ours that don't have adjustable shift stops. then again i doubt you rip on the shifter as aggressively as i do. a couple times i've thrown the knob into the back seat shifting into second
myckee likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 07 Aug 2014 at 09:54 am.
Old 07 Aug 2014, 09:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Wow thanks Handy! I didn't realize there was so many options! I found a similar heavy knob on your ebay link for about half the cost, but no engraving on top.

Thanks for the set screw adapter link too! I will buy one of those!
Old 07 Aug 2014, 09:57 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
they have adapters for unthreaded shifters like ours. Threaded Adapters | TWM Performance Threaded Adapters

i always preferred resin knobs over metal as they don't get hot/cold and they aren't heavy. i was reading that the heavy knobs were hard on transmissions for cars like ours that don't have adjustable shift stops. then again i doubt you rip on the shifter as aggressively as i do. a couple times i've thrown the knob into the back seat shifting into second
Thanks Rob! I didn't even see that adapter on their site. I also didn't consider the heavy knob potentially damaging our trannys. Well if I am gentle maybe it will be ok! lol