Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C All-In-One Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2014, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up A/C All-In-One Kits

So..for the more knowledgeable out there. I scanned and I got no codes. A/C gets cool but not really cold, unless it ran for really long time.

Are the all-in-kits even worth the trouble? For between 25.00 and 40.00, you can get an a/c recharge kits that even includes sealant and oil and is supposed to get the air-conditioning cooler, but do they work?

Way back, when I was driving a '69 Catalina, I tried some of the first kits, which included the Freon (r-12 cans) and a hookup to the low pressure/suction side and they never worked. You could wrap that can in hot wet towels and the can would absolutely get freezing but nothing ever happened.

There have been no problems with my a/c but I dread opening a valve to use a kit and cause more problems. Any one got the word??

Last edited by CREWZIN; 10 Aug 2014 at 08:12 pm.
Old 11 Aug 2014, 10:27 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: A/C All-In-One Kits

well on my pt when the fan was going bad the a/c wouldn't blow cold until I reached highway speeds.
so what I did was fix my rad fan and add an extra fan to blow into the condenser and now blows cold all the time
bought my r134a ez-chill can which had the hose and the freon but due to finacial problems I didn't vacuum the system so I just added the freon and it does blow cold but obly when condenser has good airflow so I ended up puttin an extra fan on the condenser so now its cold inside my pt that even when the outside temp is above the 100*F it starts getting cold enough that I have to turn my a/c off otherwise I can't drive because it feels like its a snowy winter cold

Last edited by RacerX125; 11 Aug 2014 at 10:55 am.
Old 11 Aug 2014, 01:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

I think those kits are a hit or miss thing......gauge was just unreliable.....followed instructions detail by detail but still ended up overcharging my SUV, thus compressor made a lot of noise and was cycling badly like it never did before.....better have it done by a professional who would have pressure gauges on both high & low pressure sides.
Old 11 Aug 2014, 01:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColTED View Post
I think those kits are a hit or miss thing......gauge was just unreliable.....followed instructions detail by detail but still ended up overcharging my SUV, thus compressor made a lot of noise and was cycling badly like it never did before.....better have it done by a professional who would have pressure gauges on both high & low pressure sides.
I do agree on this if you really love your car take it to a good shop to get the A/C system working good, unless you are in a same case like me with some financial issues either you can wait it out or fill yourself. There is many DIY videos out there for filling the A/C or if you have the money go to a shop.
Old 11 Aug 2014, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i think it all depends on what is the problem if it just needs some freon go for it there is no reason to suck it all the way donw to just ad freon if it has air in it then you have to vacuem it down the the tube is dirty it needs replaced and if the seals are hard the oil may help but probaly not fix it 100%
Most shops will suck it down recharge it charge you for that and then see if it is cycling you may still ahve to pay for other things