Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
car shuts down when driving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2014, 06:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default car shuts down when driving

Hello, I just recently purchased an 09 pt cruiser and twice now the car has shut down when driving to point where can't get off road, can't put hazzard lights on, can't steer....nothing ...I'm stuck on the road. It doesn't just slowly loose power it instantly stops regardless of the speed I'm going.very scary!!!!! I asked former owner if this has happened to her and of course she said no.It has also happened 2 more times but because I know the signs I was able to get off road and once I shut it off I couldnt start it again and key fob won't work. Jumped it and started no problem.
What happens before it shuts down I've picked up on is :
A) the key fob stops working
B) The spedometor lights start flickering
I had my battery booster pack with me and as soon as i put cables on and turned key....car starts no problem. But if I stop shortly after I boost it, the car dies again.

Anyone have same problem or any hints on what could be going on? I would appreciate any input.thxs
Old 14 Aug 2014, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: car shuts down when driving

1) Try to wiggle battery cables - you shouldn't be able to. If you can, tighten them.

2) push ignition key next time it dies - if that works, you need new ignition switch.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Aug 2014, 12:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: car shuts down when driving

My car has had a few issues but I love it. Small things when u know what is wrong. I had the car die on me too when driving. The keyfob thing and flickering is similar to what i had before but it never xut out whilst driving it just wouldn't start the next day. Replaced battery and everything was fine. There seem to be 2 types of battery one is for those who may use more electronic things in the car. The car cutting out on me whilst driving turned out to be the cam sensor.