PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT cruiser repair issue - Comments and thoughts most welcome

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2014, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT cruiser repair issue - Comments and thoughts most welcome

This week my timing belt went at about 109,000 miles, no big surprise I was going to get it fixed shortly anyway. I had it towed to my local Chrysler dealer whom confirmed my suspicions about the timing belt. I informed them, according to many posts on here that it would also be wise to go ahead and change the water pump, they agreed. The whole job was $1200. The next day drove to work fine (30 miles, mostly highway) on the way home on the highway I get a warning "ding" and light then notice that my temp guage is all the way up. Eventually I get over 2 lanes onto the shoulder and turn it off. I open the radiator and do not see any liquid. while waiting for a tow, I am near an exit and go and get some distilled water and put 2 gallons in, I do not see any leaking, but the car will not start.

It is towed back to the same dealer. eventually, my wife calls the dealer to see what's up. They tell her that it looks like the water pump had a catastrophic failure and they were dealing with NAPA about this. NAPA!!!! since when do dealers put non Chrysler parts in their cars, I was never informed. I am pretty sure that it got hot enough to cause the had gasket to go and maybe warp the motor. He said there was oil and gas in the spark plugs.

I informed them that nothing short of fixing this no charge would be sufficient or possibly an offer of a good trade in price.

I am wondering what people in the forum may have experienced in the past with dealer service problems.

I hate the fact that the dealer said "we did nothing wrong" its NAPA's fault and that a NAPA part was used without my permission.

thanks
Old 17 Aug 2014, 05:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT cruiser repair issue - Comments and thoughts most welcome

Their choice their problem. They bought from NAPA not you. If you had requested or even ok'd it. It would be on you. Call consumer protection to help you.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Aug 2014, 05:38 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfla View Post
This week my timing belt went at about 109,000 miles, no big surprise I was going to get it fixed shortly anyway. I had it towed to my local Chrysler dealer whom confirmed my suspicions about the timing belt. I informed them, according to many posts on here that it would also be wise to go ahead and change the water pump, they agreed. The whole job was $1200. The next day drove to work fine (30 miles, mostly highway) on the way home on the highway I get a warning "ding" and light then notice that my temp guage is all the way up. Eventually I get over 2 lanes onto the shoulder and turn it off. I open the radiator and do not see any liquid. while waiting for a tow, I am near an exit and go and get some distilled water and put 2 gallons in, I do not see any leaking, but the car will not start.

It is towed back to the same dealer. eventually, my wife calls the dealer to see what's up. They tell her that it looks like the water pump had a catastrophic failure and they were dealing with NAPA about this. NAPA!!!! since when do dealers put non Chrysler parts in their cars, I was never informed. I am pretty sure that it got hot enough to cause the had gasket to go and maybe warp the motor. He said there was oil and gas in the spark plugs.

I informed them that nothing short of fixing this no charge would be sufficient or possibly an offer of a good trade in price.

I am wondering what people in the forum may have experienced in the past with dealer service problems.

I hate the fact that the dealer said "we did nothing wrong" its NAPA's fault and that a NAPA part was used without my permission.

thanks
I feel your pain! I'm going through a similiar situation with a Meineke shop that I used. They were paid by my extended warranty company to install genuine MOPAR parts, and instead they installed alternate (O'Reilly, AutoZone) cheaper parts which increased their profit margin. I have a pending Small Claims lawsuit because the shop owner refused to take care of the matter. That will drag on for about a year. But several times I have provided to a Chrysler dealership that I use NAPA or CARQUEST parts to complete repairs, and they just provide the labor. But in those cases, I am fully aware that I don't expect them to warranty any parts that I provide, that would be on where I purchased them from. But in your case, since you went to a dealership they should have their standard 12 month/12,000 mile warranty that should protect you, regardless of where or what brand of parts they installed and your vehicle certainly failed within the warranty period. In my opinion, I would say that you have pretty good standing for getting your PT fixed, to your full satisfaction, or better value for trade on a new car. In either way, your beef is not with NAPA but with the dealer.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 05:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The dealer should repair you car, in my opinion.
Even if had been a Mopar part, there should at least be a 90-day warrantee.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Aug 2014, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Such a shame that dealer is. I work in parts at a dealership and the FIRST thing we quote out are OEM parts. we want to sell our stuff, not put money in NAPA's pockets. Nothing against them or anything, but you went to a dealership for a reason and not some mom and pop shop. We always give a quote to the tech for OEM parts, and if the price is outrageous and the customer asks, we find an aftermarket alternative. But being a 2000's car, OEM parts are still available. They should have never went aftermarket without your consent.

Did they even give you are parts list and quote? our system works like this, we quote out parts and it shows part number and price. and the tech adds his labor. Ask for a print out with the date of the quote. They should be able to provide that, if not you should be able to get it fixed no charge and a rental until its done.

Im in this industry and it's such a shame people do that. Point blank, go to dealer, get dealer parts. Go to mom and pop shop, get NAPA, AutoZone, Advance , O'Reilly parts

As a sidenote, Im assuming they offered to replace WP at some time as TB? or recommended/sold it you? or was it original car part?
Old 17 Aug 2014, 06:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Actually, I told them that I wanted the water pump replaced, the service tech was kinda surprised I said that. He just gave me a price nothing was said about where the part came from. It does list a part # on the bill.

thanks

PS It was the original water pump
Old 17 Aug 2014, 08:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

the vehicle is a 2006 PT Cruiser Convertible Touring Edt. 2.4L turbo
Old 17 Aug 2014, 09:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well im a bog napa fan but still a dealer should ahev told you what theye were putting in your car
MNTEGRA01 likes this.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

the teardown continues, part of intake that is plastic has melted and the the top of one piston has some signs of melting. Dealer meeting with Napa rep today. No Napa parts on fix according to dealer service director. Service adviser no longer there Mmmmm.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 02:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfla View Post
the teardown continues, part of intake that is plastic has melted and the the top of one piston has some signs of melting. Dealer meeting with Napa rep today. No Napa parts on fix according to dealer service director. Service adviser no longer there Mmmmm.
Best of luck, its up to Napa and the Dealer to figure it out. They will probably pull a junkyard engine and drop it in your PT. If so make sure it is around same mileage and you get warranty for at least 3 years, unlimted miles since it was their F up.

And if they do swap engines, they need to put NEW TB and WP on and tensioner on 'used' engine, since thats what you paid for to begin with.
LionPT likes this.