Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Quick learn for new PCM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2014, 09:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Quick learn for new PCM

Hi Folks! First off, thanks to all for the info on the site. Checking here usually saves me a lot of time in the garage when narrowing down a problem.

My 01 non-turbo has about 207K on it and is throwing out an 0601 code with the CEL on. I just ordered a PCM off ebay from a company that was suggested in another thread. I also noticed on a different thread that someone mentioned auto's need to have a quick learn performed, but it didn't explain what a quick learn is. A second thread made it sound like it is simply "going easy" on the accelerator for a while so that it is gently running through the gears.

Can anyone verify exactly what a quick learn is.

Thanks everyone!

PS--B/c I will be driving the car while I wait for the PCM (100mi./day), ACE suggested giving them a mileage a couple days out and installing it when I am within 150 mi. of that number. Does the 150 window really matter or does the mileage they enter really have no impact on the pcm working in the vehicle?
Old 17 Aug 2014, 11:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Quick learn for new PCM

The "quick learn" does not apply to you unless the PCM you get has specific instruction regarding any operation restrictions. The use of the old"quick learn" process is no longer required from most PCMs available from vendors. Most refurbished PCMs for PT use firmware based on the last known upgrade from MOPAR which getting it flashed by VIN make them a plug and play PCM.

There is still a lot of information from older forum members, old posted and outdated information (none really even technical) and former PT Cruiser owners claiming otherwise.

The PCM will usually settle into normal operations of all controlled and monitored systems within 1 -3 engine cycles. Unless you plan on drag racing your PT there is nothing to be concerned about.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Aug 2014 at 11:39 pm.