Timing belt issue

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Motorhead
  • 1 Post By PurpleHazePT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2014, 10:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt issue

I installed a new Timing Belt using a ruler to align the marks on the cam gears so they're aligned with the center of the cam sprocket bolts. The "2.4" is on the left on both wheels. I've noticed since then that some people say the left side Exhaust Cam mark should be 1/2 notch lower. So I may be off one tooth the other way. But anyway, what has me freaked out is that the valves are hitting something with less than 1/2 turn of the cam sprocket. The crankshaft was aligned, but apparently that shouldn't matter because only the valves can hit each other. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? I don't see how it could be hitting something that quickly if off only a tooth. I haven't pulled it back apart yet-will be soon, but hoping someone may know what's wrong. Thanks!

The only thing I can think of is that the guy who pulled it apart may have dropped something down one of the intake tubes, or left something inside the new water pump. I'm renting out a room to him, and he is way behind, so since he's worked on cars, I farmed most of the work out except the timing mark alignment. The only other thing I can think of is that the cam gears can go on in more than one way. The "2.4" marks are both facing out, though.

Last edited by PurpleHazePT; 17 Aug 2014 at 10:37 pm.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 07:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHazePT View Post
I installed a new Timing Belt using a ruler to align the marks on the cam gears so they're aligned with the center of the cam sprocket bolts. The "2.4" is on the left on both wheels. I've noticed since then that some people say the left side Exhaust Cam mark should be 1/2 notch lower. So I may be off one tooth the other way. But anyway, what has me freaked out is that the valves are hitting something with less than 1/2 turn of the cam sprocket. The crankshaft was aligned, but apparently that shouldn't matter because only the valves can hit each other. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? I don't see how it could be hitting something that quickly if off only a tooth. I haven't pulled it back apart yet-will be soon, but hoping someone may know what's wrong. Thanks!

The only thing I can think of is that the guy who pulled it apart may have dropped something down one of the intake tubes, or left something inside the new water pump. I'm renting out a room to him, and he is way behind, so since he's worked on cars, I farmed most of the work out except the timing mark alignment. The only other thing I can think of is that the cam gears can go on in more than one way. The "2.4" marks are both facing out, though.
Both arrows up? I posted some suggestions on the other thread you posted on. One other thing. Make sure that you don't have a cam lineup pen sheared. This could cause the cam to be out of time.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Aug 2014, 05:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHazePT View Post

I'll repeat it here too

The half tooth thing (exhaust gear) is only for when you initially put the belt on, so you can take up the little bit of slack when the belt is totally installed. It sounds like you have the gears in the right rotation though.

You are not hitting anything with only being a half or whole tooth off, but the engine will not run "quite" right. It'll start and run, just not right.

You should be able to rotate the engine by hand two revolutions (at the crank), and have all the marks line up. If not, pull the belt and get the marks dead on.

It might take a couple of tries, but is it has to be done, cause you sure the blazes don't want to have to tear it all down and do it over.
boonie2 and PurpleHazePT like this.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 18 Aug 2014, 05:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Aug 2014, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Take out the spark plugs if you have not done so yet. keeping them in there may be causing compression to build up and seem hard to rotate the crank.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 03:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTEGRA01 View Post
Take out the spark plugs if you have not done so yet. keeping them in there may be causing compression to build up and seem hard to rotate the crank.
That is one of the issues I covered on the other thread I referenced. but haven't seen any follow up on any of it.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Aug 2014, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

A sincere thanks for the help! I'll use every bit of it. Yes, the arrows are up, both "2.4" marks on the left side. I'll take the cam gears off to double check the pins. I'm guessing the guy helping dropped something down one of the intakes tubes. So I'll put a flexible magnet down each tube and see if anything comes out. Thanks again.

I have 3 PTs, BTW. I plan to really customize this one to look a lot more like an old delivery truck and will post pics when it's done, but that will be quite awhile yet.
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by PurpleHazePT; 21 Aug 2014 at 02:51 pm.