PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brakes "Chirping"

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2014, 12:03 pm
Banned

Default Brakes "Chirping"

Is it just a fact of life that there will be a certain amount of brake "chirping" with the semi-metallic pads/shoes on the PT? Everything has been recently replaced with NAPA premium parts (calipers, rotors, pads, drums, shoes, rear wheel cylinders, hardware kit) and there is still a slight "chirp" when coming to a complete stop. Also, there is a "clicking" sound when braking that sounds like it's coming from the L/R, have an appointment tomorrow at the shop to further trouble shoot this noise. This "clicking" sound is independent of the "chirp" and only occurs when braking, so in theory, it should be related to the brakes, correct? Also, the "clicking" noise only started after the rear wheel cylinders were replaced. The L/R hub has also been recently replaced so I would think it is not that.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 12:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Brakes "Chirping"

I have no chirping. You should have no sounds either.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Aug 2014, 09:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like a bad spring clip and maybe not lubed correctly. I don't have any noise on mine.

Mike
Old 20 Aug 2014, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Could be a backing plates rubbing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 24 Aug 2014 at 08:48 am.
Old 23 Aug 2014, 10:38 pm
Banned

Had my PT back at the shop the other day to have them look at the brakes as the job is still under warranty. They did lube the backing plates where the shoes make contact. But the "clicking" or "popping" was that the rears were out of adjustment. I use the parking brake all the time and I can usually tell by how far up the lever comes as to how tight the rears are. No more noise. But I did have a shop one time adjust the rears so tight that it basically burned up the shoes. I also used an infra-red gun to check the temperature of the front rotors and rear drums. I did it at night so as to lower the ambient temperature from the sun. I drove about 15 miles doing normal braking and when I checked the temp, the fronts were about 35-40 hotter than the rears. This should be expected as the fronts do most of the braking work. As far as the "chirping" I attribute that to a driver issue (me). They don't always make a sound and it depends on how I feather the brake pedal. I probably could make the brakes "chirp" on your PT, so I'm not worrying about it.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 08:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Had my PT back at the shop the other day to have them look at the brakes as the job is still under warranty. They did lube the backing plates where the shoes make contact. But the "clicking" or "popping" was that the rears were out of adjustment. I use the parking brake all the time and I can usually tell by how far up the lever comes as to how tight the rears are. No more noise. But I did have a shop one time adjust the rears so tight that it basically burned up the shoes. I also used an infra-red gun to check the temperature of the front rotors and rear drums. I did it at night so as to lower the ambient temperature from the sun. I drove about 15 miles doing normal braking and when I checked the temp, the fronts were about 35-40 hotter than the rears. This should be expected as the fronts do most of the braking work. As far as the "chirping" I attribute that to a driver issue (me). They don't always make a sound and it depends on how I feather the brake pedal. I probably could make the brakes "chirp" on your PT, so I'm not worrying about it.
I still say, you are not the culpret JMTC. But glad you're satisfide.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Aug 2014, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Had my PT....................... I also used an infra-red gun to check the temperature of the front rotors and rear drums. ...............I drove about 15 miles doing normal braking and when I checked the temp, the fronts were about 35-40 hotter than the rears. T I'm not worrying about it.
This would be a good brake bias reading!!! "Hint" for another member another thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I have no chirping. You should have no sounds either.
Without a video with a good sound bite.......a descriptive word "chirping" well I have never had anyone ever use that word for brakes?

On my MINI driving on the street..every time I come up to a stop where other can hear me braking I always get the looks....the sound I know stands the hair on thier neck right up. But it also keeps them away from me and my ride. LOL

srcaaaaaaaap............. hhissssssssssssss....grind! Sweet music to my ears. Oh wait could it be because I run a very hard disc and Ferodo Sintered XRAC Race Brake Pads?
Stop on a dime.... maybe more like stop on a Monkey's hair from 100MPH.

rckstein Lets have a video!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Oct 2014, 12:16 pm
Banned

Since having a shop replace all the brake components on my PT a couple of months ago, it has been plagued by a constant "clicking" or "popping" noise from the rears. The shop that did the original work adjusted them several times, and it would be fine for a while then come back. I took my PT to the dealership today for them to look at it and their tech found that the new NAPA drums that the original shop had installed were slightly out of round. They took a light cut on them to true them up and all is quiet!
Old 07 Oct 2014, 01:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Since having a shop replace all the brake components on my PT a couple of months ago, it has been plagued by a constant "clicking" or "popping" noise from the rears. The shop that did the original work adjusted them several times, and it would be fine for a while then come back. I took my PT to the dealership today for them to look at it and their tech found that the new NAPA drums that the original shop had installed were slightly out of round. They took a light cut on them to true them up and all is quiet!

This is a perfect example of why I always check measure and machine myself and preach to others to have any NEW rotor or drum turned!
rckstein likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Oct 2014, 12:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
This is a perfect example of why I always check measure and machine myself and preach to others to have any NEW rotor or drum turned!
Are the new rotor or drums from the dealer out of round also?