Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pcm swap with new codes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2014, 09:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Default pcm swap with new codes

Hi all! Got a reman pcm today b/c my old one was coming up with a p0601. Just some background. My dad and I were replacing the water pump (the belts were new too) on my 01 non-turbo and had some issues getting the timing belt lined up right on the teeth. After 2 or 3 shots we finally got it. During one of the start ups to check to see if it idled and ran properly the 0601 code popped up. Prior to changing the pump, we had 0 issues.

Anyway, I plugged in the new pcm and took the car on a test drive. A few minutes into the ride, the CEL came back on. When I got home I toggled the key and codes 1684 and 0443 came up. I can understand the the first since I had the battery disconnected to replace the pcm. But what about the solenoid one? Do you think that the solenoid is bad? If so, why didn't the old pcm have the code? Could the new pcm be faulty.

What would you advise for my next step?

PS--I still have my old pcm.

A big thank you to all who can help!
Old 23 Aug 2014, 07:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: pcm swap with new codes

Tested the car with a new solenoid today and checked the wires. I reseated the pcm connections and cleared the codes. Code still pops on. According to OBD sites there are only 3 causes for the 0443:

Bad Solenoid
Wire Issue
Bad PCM

Going to send back the pcm for another.
Old 23 Aug 2014, 07:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Where are you buying the remanufactured PCM from?
Old 23 Aug 2014, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you give the PCM supplier the pcm part #, miles, VIN# so they could program that in the reman PCM that you received?
Old 23 Aug 2014, 08:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdwags View Post
Tested the car with a new solenoid today and checked the wires. I reseated the pcm connections and cleared the codes. Code still pops on. According to OBD sites there are only 3 causes for the 0443:

Bad Solenoid
Wire Issue
Bad PCM

Going to send back the pcm for another.
Camp Hill,, My Cousin lives out your way,
Try this before sending anything back, You probably took out the battery or disconnected the battery ground while changing the timing components.
The engine and sensor grounds are on the left fender,, with a battery ground going directly to to the stud that has several smaller ground wires going to it.
It just might be possible your grounds are oxidized like mine and caused problems, cut off and strip the wires, twist them together and use acid free electrical flux then solder them in to one hard mass. Clean or replace the eyelet and tin the eyelet and then solder the wires to it. It fixed mine, lets hope it fixes yours. I thought it well worth the time for future problems that may show their color too. Don't burn your fingers as that mass of wires, solder and eyelet get a bit hot and hold the heat for a bit.
If DC electric works like AC a bad connection will cause power problems, as voltage drops amps go up and may cause heat and damage other components, unless that just applies with electric motors. I've read where the PCM can compensate for voltage drop but there is a limit.
Are your battery cable connections shiny clean with out corosion swelling the insulation?

OBD II Fault Code
OBD II P0443

Fault Code Definition
Evaporative System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction

What does this mean?

The P0443 code indicates that there is improper purge flow in the EVAP system caused by a physically malfunctioning purge valve or, a shorted or open purge valve circuit.

Want to learn more?

The evaporative control (EVAP) system captures any raw fuel evaporating from the fuel storage system (e.g. the fuel tank, filler neck, and fuel cap). Under precise operating conditions—dictated by engine temperature, speed, and load—the EVAP system stores and purges these captured fuel vapors back into the combustion process.

Symptoms
Check Engine Light will illuminate

In most cases, there are no adverse conditions noticed by the driver

In some cases, there may be a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors
In some cases, the engine may idle rough, hesitate or stall

Common Problems That Trigger the P0443 Code
Electrically Shorted Purge Valve Solenoid
Physically stuck open or closed purge valve
Open or shorted Purge Valve wiring or connector

Common Misdiagnoses
Fuel cap
Evaporative Purge Valve
Evaporative Vent Valve

Polluting Gases Expelled
HCs (Hydrocarbons): Unburned droplets of raw fuel that smell, affect breathing, and contribute to smog

The Basics.
The EVAP system is designed not only to capture, store, and purge any raw fuel vapors that leak from areas in the Fuel Storage system, but also to run a series of self-tests that confirm or deny the operational and vapor holding ability of the system. This is an important task because at least 20 percent of vehicle-produced air pollution originates from malfunctioning Vehicle Fuel Storage systems.

There are many ways to "leak test" the EVAP system, but most perform the leak test when the vehicle is sitting (like over night) or during the initial start-up after the vehicle has been sitting over night. The EVAP system's operational performance is also tracked by the Powertrain Computer by reading the change in the oxygen sensor voltages and short term fuel trim whenever the stored vapors are released or "purged" back into the combustion process. These values should indicate that fuel is being added to the system and that the overall mixture is getting richer. The purging process occurs when the vehicle is under acceleration, which is when most vehicles require additional fuel.

P0443 Diagnostic Theory for Shops and Technicians
The code P0443 indicates that the electrical readings, i.e voltage drops etc, of the purge valve are out of the designed specification window. In addition, the purge function of the EVAP system isn't triggering the specified amount of vacuum when the EVAP monitor performs its leak test. This vacuum is measured and monitored by the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. The vacuum can be too high and for too long (stuck open purge valve) or it can be too little or non-existent ( stuck closed purge valve, a leak in the system or a defective fuel tank pressure sensor).
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 23 Aug 2014 at 08:18 pm.
Old 23 Aug 2014, 08:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for all the info! Ptcruisersteve, I got it off ebay from autocomputerexchange. Others had suggested them on other threads. The pcm was $160 and they programed it with my vin, mileage, etc. We'll see how things go with this exchange.

I'll look at the grounds tomorrow JoeX. Thanks for that info! The terminals are in good shape and clean with no buildup on them. Just to double check. Grounds are on driver's...I can trace the batter negative cable and find it easily? The battery ground hooks to a stud with other smaller ground wires going to the same stud.

I'll look into it tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Jdwags; 23 Aug 2014 at 09:11 pm.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 08:16 am
Young Cruiser

Ptcruisersteve...if you need a replacement, you might try the company I did. Even though I got a defective one (which is something that I think happens often with most reman companies like this), the company is trying to make it right. I emailed them on Saturday night, and the fellow emailed me back on Sunday morning asking for my number. I gave it to him and he called me within 15 minutes to tell me they are shipping me another right away on Monday. Now I am just keeping my fingers crossed that it works as I have an emissions ripoff, I mean test, coming up at the end of the month.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 09:05 am
Young Cruiser

My replacement PCM arrived last night and seems to be doing the trick. No CEL so far. Guess the first one was just a dud.