PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Cruiser stalled, the word "head" displayed on odometer

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2014, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Cruiser stalled, the word "head" displayed on odometer

I was going home, luckily got close enough to home and the engine quit. I coasted and stopped in the driveway. On display where the codes appear, was the word "head". When I got out of the car the horn started beeping, I couldn't stop it. I opened the hood and disconnected the battery to stop the horn warning. About 5min. later I gave it a crank and it started but quit a couple of seconds later.
I knew I was low on oil (famous last words), I was getting dings when I turned corners and came to stops.
I changed the oil and filter and tried starting it again and it didn't start.

Have I screwed it up? Or should I say, am I screwed?
Old 28 Aug 2014, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser stalled, the word "head" displayed on odometer

Here's an old thread where someone had the same problem as your title.

Got a new pt today! Lets figure out whats wrong!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 06:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My battery is crankin' like a band. I was driving in 3rd gear when the engine quit. I didn't look at the temp. gauge, it might have been overheating, I don't know. I looked under the engine and saw nothing leaking. I checked the gas lines and they look fine. I'm just dead in the water.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 06:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The honking horn and engine stall after starting for a few seconds sounds like the SKIM has failed. Basically, your PT may not be detected the antitheft chip in your gray ignition key.

Also, on my 2001 PT, the odometer will flash "Head" if turn off the initiation with the headlights on. I usually get a warning tone too. And my PT will also honk if I unlock the door with the key instead of using the fob. And it will honk if I open the hood without the key nearby or in the ignition.

If your battery is down and the lights were left on, it will flash "Head" when you try to jump it. Are you sure your headlights are turned all the way off?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Aug 2014 at 06:58 pm.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 06:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
If your battery is down and the lights were left on, it will flash "Head" when you try to jump it. Are you sure your headlights are turned all the way off?

Sounds a little sexual to me...
soonercruiser likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 28 Aug 2014, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I didn't have the lights on and I tried both keys for the car. I was driving the car when the engine died. I have 1/2 tank of gas. It was running fine and quit, I coasted into the driveway. The battery is cranking the engine like crazy but won't fire over.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 07:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was out of the car with the car off with the key in my hand when the horn started beeping and wouldn't stop until I disconnected the battery.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 08:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did the engine light come on before you saw the "head" display and disconnected the battery?
Old 28 Aug 2014, 09:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Is there a website where it can tell us what words can appear in the trouble code display for PT Cruisers and what they mean? I was surprised myself one day when I didn't tighten the gas cap and it displayed "GASCAP" in the engine trouble code display.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 10:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The honking horn and engine stall after starting for a few seconds sounds like the SKIM has failed. Basically, your PT may not be detected the antitheft chip in your gray ignition key.

Also, on my 2001 PT, the odometer will flash "Head" if turn off the initiation with the headlights on. I usually get a warning tone too. And my PT will also honk if I unlock the door with the key instead of using the fob. And it will honk if I open the hood without the key nearby or in the ignition.

One thing I have learned about the SKIM is that some of the time when it fails the voltage gets too low or there is a possible bad ground. I would check the battery for a dry cell or at least charge the battery first but I agree with Handy_Cruiser diagnosis. On one of our PT Cruisers the battery cell closest to the positive terminal is always running low on distilled water and it has given us trouble with the start and die in three second routine from the SKIM.