PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CV AND Crankshaft questions - What gives?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2014, 09:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default CV AND Crankshaft questions - What gives?

Hi,

So I have a '01 PT Limited. I just pulled the motor and Trans out and did a full rebuild on the motor. I have ran into a couple of snags. They are as follows:

1) When I rebuilt the motor I got a NEW crankshaft with matching bearings. When they were all installed there is a little bit of back and forth slack (maybe 1/32) in the crank. I was worried and called my local racing engine shop friend (who ended up pressing off my pistons from the connecting rods a few days prior). He informed me that this is not anything to have a chest grabber over. He commented that the type of crank that is in it was called something like a "free end crankshaft" and that it is not uncommon for them to have a little bit of play. (Not so much as if a thrust bearing was out..etc) Fact is, even the "balancer thingy" that is underneath the crankshaft (with the chain on it) seems to have a little bit of play.

Question 1) Is this normal? Causes? Solutions?

2) When I took out the motor I also took out the trans. This meant taking out the CV axles. The trans worked fine before I took it out (ATX trans BTW). I put it back in the carr and even with the trans in PARK the axles still spin when I am trying to tighten the CV nut in the spindle/knuckle. Is this normal? It doesn't have any fluid in it except for maybe a little bit in the torque converter. The axles both appear to be fully inserted into the trans and the trans was not dropped/manhandled in any way to warrant any kind of trauma of it.

Question 2) Is this normal? What could be causing this?

Feel free to add a speedy reply as I am getting ready to try to fire this engine up tomorrow after getting the rebuild done and everything in place.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by domsob1974; 28 Aug 2014 at 10:15 pm.