PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Towing stuff with the Turbo GT convertable.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2014, 04:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Towing stuff with the Turbo GT convertable.

I recently ordered a trailer hitch for our '05 GT convertible. My plan is to tow a camper of some kind. My younger brother has a '06 Chevy S-10 with a 2.2 and 5 speed manual transmission in it.

Earlier this summer we had a family reunion a few hundred miles north of here. He towed a popup camper to the reunion. I asked how well the truck handled the trailer and he said it did OK but there were a lot of hills he could have used a few more gears and a few more cylinders for. When I asked if he had any problems stopping he said no but the camper had its own brakes and he has the controller installed in his truck.

The camper I'm thinking of buying is a bit smaller than the one he had I have no clue how much it might weigh but I'm betting less than a ton.

I have hauled heavier stuff with my HHR different times. I brought a bunch of furniture down to Tennessee on my little trailer with the HHR a few years ago and it did fine for me.

I'm thinking the PT cruiser with its slightly larger engine and of course the turbo and 4 wheel disk brakes should be fine, so my real question is does anyone regularly pull any kind of camper with their PT Cruiser?

Last edited by KA9VQF; 29 Aug 2014 at 02:23 pm.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 09:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Towing stuff with the Turbo GT convertable.

Not sure why you aren't getting an answer.
But, I believe that I have seen lots of posts about pulling small trailers.
My fav is the casket trailer!
And, I see them at shows all the time....and some aren't small.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 31 Aug 2014, 12:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Towing stuff with the Turbo GT convertable.

I suppose it could be because some of the other members have already put me on their ignore list because I tend to make a short story long {maybe}.

I finally got the hitch here so I suppose I should put it on then go and borrow a popup camper and see how it does. My cousin owns the one my brother used last time and is willing to let me use it to find out.

There was a fellow in town here that had an '06 HHR just like mine. He used to pull a 16' prowler self contained camper trailer out to his property in Oregon and back every year, he too had a electric brake gizmo under his dash and the camper was a tandem axle with electric brakes on each wheel.

He traded all that stuff in a year or so ago and got a much bigger 5th wheel camper trailer with two slide outs and a new 10 cylinder 4 door 4 wheel drive Ford F 350 truck to pull it with.

Now, I realize neither the HHR nor the PT Cruiser were ever designed nor intended to be tow vehicles but that doesn't seem to stop some folks much.

With this being the big holiday weekend and me living in a town located right beside the Mississippi river, I have seen plenty of PT Cruisers {and HHR's and other cars you wouldn't think could handle it} pulling various things like 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, kayaks, canoes, and some good sized boats a few have had little teardrop campers.

Today my wife and I got a bucket of chicken and decided to go down to Market park {right beside the river} and watch the boats on the river. A PT cruiser pulled in with a large pontoon boat on behind and more folks came in other vehicles with 4 wheelers on trailer and the spent a large part of their day ferrying the wheelers up the river to an island. I wanted to talk to the guy who owned the PT Cruiser to ask how well it handled the big pontoon but he was just too busy trying to get all the people and machines hauled to the island.

A few of his friends were kinda drawn to my convertible so I talked to them, they all agreed that he had been towing the pontoon for at least three years with nothing but regular maintenance and repairs. They even offered to haul the wife and I up to the island if I wanted to go. I was willing but my wife is scared to death of boats. She grew up here so go figure that one out for me please.

Last edited by KA9VQF; 31 Aug 2014 at 12:07 am.