PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New owner of a 2002

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2014, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New owner of a 2002

I purchased a 2002 with 119k on it. starts and runs great. Has an oil leak from somewhere. I'm thinking the valve cover as well as possibly the from crank main oil seal. It had a squeak when I was unloading it from the trailer this afternoon after bringing it home. I discovered the idler pulley bearing was shot for the serpentine belt and will replace that tomorrow along with the belt. The PO I purchased from said it overheated a block from home and they parked it. They said some non professional mechanic buddies over the phone told them it was probably the head gasket. I'm no so sure about that. idle and rev'ing are smooth, no oil in coolant and no coolant in oil, with regards to the idler pulley, that is squeaking, when I turn the AC on the engine really struggles. I'm wondering about the idler pulley drag on the engine cause the engine to run hotter? The Mass Air Flow sensor was completely covered in filth. I cleaned that and the throttle body with appropriate cleaner. After I change the pulley and serpentine belt tomorrow, I'll see if the engine temperature is better. If not, then I'm wondering about the thermostat or water pump?
Old 29 Aug 2014, 10:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New owner of a 2002

Check out if the radiator fan is running whenever the A/C is turned on. If not, part of the fan motor is probably burnt out. The fan has two speeds and you need both to keep everything cool.
jdlmodelt likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 10:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I could hear one fan for sure but I didn't pay attention later as the temperature rose to about 3/4 at idle. I did notice that if I accelerated the engine a little, the temp appeared to drop a little.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 11:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you checked the radiator fan?
Old 29 Aug 2014, 11:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Have you checked the radiator fan?
Sorry, forgot to refresh the web page. I see others have already asked about the radiator fan.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 12:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Any thoughts on the oil leak(s)? valve cover?
Old 30 Aug 2014, 07:21 am
Senior Cruiser

IMHO if it's overheated at some point you may have a warped Valve cover. Not always easy to tell, but starting with a new gasket is likely the best and cheapest first step. Welcome !
jdlmodelt likes this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 08:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Not to be obvious if you already know, but there are two fuses under the hood compartment for the hi fan and the low fan. Both have to be good fuses. That's the cheap fix for a fan that's not turning on, so check it first.
jdlmodelt likes this.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 12:29 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Welcome to the forum!

Quite a few of us have replaced the fan due to problems similar to yours. It's worth checking out.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 02:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
Any thoughts on the oil leak(s)? valve cover?
take it to a carwash. spray it with degreaser. wait 15 minutes, and powerwash it. oil can leak from so many places.. just clean it first, then you'll be able to tell easier.

there is a bump on the back of the engine where the car could be leaking at the head gasket.
there is an oil passage here: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...d-s4020435.jpg

on the other hand, my car leaks oil from the valve cover, the oil pan, and it used to seep power steering fluid out the cap, across the valve cover , and down the block. by the time it hits the ground it looks like oil. the oil pressure senders also commonly leak on these. before spending a dime on parts, just clean it and look around.

to be clear about the fan. start the car cold, turn on the AC, the cooling fan should kick on.
harrym and jdlmodelt like this.