PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clicking noise from front

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2014, 04:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clicking noise from front

I have a 2002 Cruiser that I bought about 3 mos ago. Recently it started making fairly loud clicking noises from the left front. It only happens when I start off, or slow down. It goes away as i pick up speed or brake. It speeds up and slows down with the rotation of the wheel. (again after a certain speed [25-30 mph] it seems to go away)
I have the wheel off and the brake caliper is a little loose as well as the rotor. normally I would have to pound on a rotor to get it loose but on this vehicle it is pretty loose. once the wheel is put back on shouldn't the rotor be tight against the hub assembly?
I am fairly certain it isn't a CV joint as that would click as you turn and go away when you straighten the wheel out. Right?
Any help would be appreciated
Old 04 Sep 2014, 05:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Clicking noise from front

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoKing View Post
I have a 2002 Cruiser that I bought about 3 mos ago. Recently it started making fairly loud clicking noises from the left front. It only happens when I start off, or slow down. It goes away as i pick up speed or brake. It speeds up and slows down with the rotation of the wheel. (again after a certain speed [25-30 mph] it seems to go away)
I have the wheel off and the brake caliper is a little loose as well as the rotor. normally I would have to pound on a rotor to get it loose but on this vehicle it is pretty loose. once the wheel is put back on shouldn't the rotor be tight against the hub assembly?
I am fairly certain it isn't a CV joint as that would click as you turn and go away when you straighten the wheel out. Right?
Any help would be appreciated
You may have to use a few big washers but remove the wheel and use washers and put three lugnuts back on, then spin the wheel. There are thin stainless steel anti-rattle shims that are very close to the rotor on each end of the brake pads that may be touching the rotor. The outter edge of the rotors sometimes get a buildup of rust.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 04 Sep 2014, 05:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

This may be a shot in the dark, but do you have wheel covers or just the aluminum wheel?

Back in the day our family New Yorker was driving my father nuts with the constant clicking at low speeds.

Turns out tightening the wheel cover claws along the edge eliminated the clicking noise.

If you have the wheel covers, maybe try keeping them off, then go for a ride.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 04 Sep 2014, 10:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Since it goes away when you brake, take wheel off and inspect the pads - maybe just throw new pads in - can't hurt.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Sep 2014, 11:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Brake calipers are secured to their seat with bolts and guide pins that fit firmly through bushings. This design keeps the caliper suspended properly so that the brake pads make contact with the rotor, and the vehicle stops when they are applied. A loose caliper will flop around and make a clicking sound that emanates from that wheel.
The big question is why is the brake caliper loose? I have never seen a loose brake caliper before. Are the bolts loose? Are the guide pins gone? I will be replacing my brake pads tomorrow night so will look at them more closely.
Old 04 Sep 2014, 11:04 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Chrysler TSB 0300604
SUBJECT: Front Hub/Half Shaft Click/Pop Sound
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a rubber gasket to the face of the half shaft that mounts to the hub bearing.
MODELS:
2000 - 2005 (PL) Neon 2001 - 2004 (PT) Chrysler PT Cruiser
NOTE: This bulletin applies to PT vehicles built prior to February 18, 2004, (MDH0218XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Vehicle may exhibit a popping/clicking/snapping/ticking sound from the front hub/half shaft area during acceleration after Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Drive shifts. The sound may also be present while turning and accelerating from a stop.
Danny7627 likes this.
Old 05 Sep 2014, 10:36 am
Cool Cruiser

The hub cap idea is a very good one take off the hub caps if thats what you have and see if the noise goes away.

The brake caliper should be able to slide on the pins but not be loose in my opinion.

If the CV is bad enough it can cause your clicking noise. If the boots are cut you have to replace the cv. Check to see if there is any play in them.

Mike
Old 06 Sep 2014, 07:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Brake calipers are secured to their seat with bolts and guide pins that fit firmly through bushings. This design keeps the caliper suspended properly so that the brake pads make contact with the rotor, and the vehicle stops when they are applied. A loose caliper will flop around and make a clicking sound that emanates from that wheel.
The big question is why is the brake caliper loose? I have never seen a loose brake caliper before. Are the bolts loose? Are the guide pins gone? I will be replacing my brake pads tomorrow night so will look at them more closely.
I just checked the brake calipers on my PT Cruiser and there is no movement at all so your brake caliper should not be loose. You should check and see why its loose. Please let us know what you find out.
Old 07 Sep 2014, 11:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: Clicking noise from front

Thank you all For replying.
Motorhead...no hubcap...aluminum rims with low profile tires.
quicksilverdon... brake pads are great!
ptcruisersteve...Went back out after posting and the caliper was tight, just a little play but nothing to cause the noise. Backed off and re tightened caliper bolts. Nothing rubbing on the rotor and once wheel was put back on, rotor was tight against hub with no play in the wheel.
sanatanadharma...Sounds almost spot on... where did you get that info???
wb2kki...will check the cv boots and for play. In my experience though... usually you start off with soft clicking around corners and then it gets worse over time. this just seemed to show up pulling out of my driveway (i believe) one day and seems to come and go.

My wife and i was out driving and she said it sounded like it was coming from the driver side rear. Sure enough as I turned my head (as well as sticking it out the window) it does sound like its coming from the rear.
I have the cruiser up on jack, rear wheel is off, parking brake released and when I spin the hub, no clicking sound forwards or back no clicking but it does sound like something is rubbing the back side of the rotor.
Also If I listen carefully... as I go over bumps I can hear what sound like the same noise but much softer and with the bumps. Not sure if it is related or something loose underneath but my gut says they are related.
One last thing...behind the front hub there seems to be a "gear" of some kind with a encased cable facing down on it. I will research this as well but I trust the people (you) who actually own and repair their own vehicles
Much Respect
Old 07 Sep 2014, 11:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry JoeX... Checked your suggestion first and this didn't [I]seem[I] to be the issue but it is still in the back of my mind.. Thanks!

Tags
clicking noise, pt cruiser