Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jasonlaroche
  • 2 Post By xwing777
  • 1 Post By JoeX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2014, 11:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Default A/C system

So, I take the wife's Cruiser (2007, 52,000 miles) to get the oil changed at one of those quick chains. I know, taking anything to these guys is considered irresponsible by many on this board. Nevertheless, although I've been apprehensive, I've not had any troubles. As part of the service they check the AC system. I'm told the pressure is high, 45, and I'm warned that 55 is the danger zone. Of course, they offer to address this by purging and recharging the system for $140. In a weak moment, I tell them to go ahead. Unfortunately or fortunately, they couldn't get their machine hooked up and I got off with just an oil change. My question is, is indeed the pressure high and does the system need to be purged and recharged? And, if so, is the cost of $140 about the going rate? On th4e one hand, I'm not crazy about spending $140 but on the other hand, that's cheaper than a condenser replacement. FWIW, if I do need to take care of this, I plan to go somewhere else that does this kind of thing. Any insight on this would be appreciated.
Old 05 Sep 2014, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: A/C system

My question is, how would they know what the pressure of the system is if they can't hook up there machine. I'm from canada and for us at my work it all depends on the amount of freeon you need. I would ask them a couple more questions next time see if you could screw them up at all.
boonie2 likes this.
Old 05 Sep 2014, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

ID go stright to a shop that does AC work and like jason said how did they know it was high without hooking up a machine to it??? go some ware else
Old 05 Sep 2014, 12:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Im betting they just stuck the hose on the low side running. They danger of to high pressure comment is stupid of them as temp, humidity and flow of air over the condenser have a huge impact. Hard to diagnose any issue without hooking up high side (which is down low on the compressor)

They should have done an engine off, low and high side reading, then high and low side reading while running to determine if/where they have problems.

If you do not have any issues now (ac cold) then leave as is. Freon AC parts does not need any maintenance unless you develop a leak, compressor quite, clutch goes out, etc...

If your really concerned take it to a real AC shop, not some oil change shop that are trying to make some easy money from stuff like this. Reminds me of this
JoeX and ptcruisersteve like this.
Old 05 Sep 2014, 04:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
Im betting they just stuck the hose on the low side running. They danger of to high pressure comment is stupid of them as temp, humidity and flow of air over the condenser have a huge impact. Hard to diagnose any issue without hooking up high side (which is down low on the compressor)

They should have done an engine off, low and high side reading, then high and low side reading while running to determine if/where they have problems.

If you do not have any issues now (ac cold) then leave as is. Freon AC parts does not need any maintenance unless you develop a leak, compressor quite, clutch goes out, etc...

If your really concerned take it to a real AC shop, not some oil change shop that are trying to make some easy money from stuff like this. Reminds me of this
BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!!!!!!! NEVER GO TO ANY OF THESE CLOWNS
SAD fact of life but jiffy lube is just ONE that got caught ! They all do this same thing

Last edited by boonie2; 05 Sep 2014 at 04:42 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2014, 04:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
ID go stright to a shop that does AC work and like jason said how did they know it was high without hooking up a machine to it??? go some ware else
Agree. Find an A/C shop or reputable garage and get it checked out.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 05 Sep 2014, 05:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

45psi on the low side is a little high, but without the high side reading to go with it you can't tell why it's that high.
If it's cooling good, leave it alone.
BTW after the car is turned off and it sits long enough for the pressures to equalize, the static reading on a correctly charged system will be around 90psi at 85 degrees ambient. So at 55psi you're not in danger of anything.
Old 05 Sep 2014, 08:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby View Post
45psi on the low side is a little high, but without the high side reading to go with it you can't tell why it's that high.
If it's cooling good, leave it alone.
BTW after the car is turned off and it sits long enough for the pressures to equalize, the static reading on a correctly charged system will be around 90psi at 85 degrees ambient. So at 55psi you're not in danger of anything.
Yes, I agree and here is what can happen, when the service tech hooks up his guage cluster he has control of the valves, He can open them to get a reading AND he can close them off before he gets the actual reading and tell the customer the system is low. Hey, money in his pocket especially to the unknowing paying customer.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 06 Sep 2014 at 06:10 am.
Old 06 Sep 2014, 05:53 am
Regular Cruiser

Many thanks for the replies. I'm just going to sit tight and not do anything right now about this. The A/C is working fine and yesterday was a really warm and humid day.
Old 06 Sep 2014, 10:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiniquiet View Post
Many thanks for the replies. I'm just going to sit tight and not do anything right now about this. The A/C is working fine and yesterday was a really warm and humid day.
Sounds like you saved $140.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles