PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone else having this problem?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2014, 07:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Anyone else having this problem?

I just purchased a 2006 PT. This will be my second one. The first was a turbo that lasted almost 3 months before it started losing power and wouldn't start. The engine light came on, took it to a mechanic, couldn't find anything wrong. Was on the interstate, doing about 65 mph, when it started losing power and jumping, like it wasn't getting gas. Smoke started coming out from under the hood, like it was on fire. The engine just shut down, my daughter was driving, trying to get it off the road, the front tire split half way around. She barley got off the road before we almost got hit. I had at least 3 incidents where it wouldn't start at all, but could never find anything wrong. I love the PT's, so I purchased another one last month with a lot lower mileage. Yesterday, got in it to come home, and again, it wouldn't start. I called a tow truck, but before he could get there, I got back it it, pushed the gas pedal to the floor, let up, bumped the key, (turning it on quickly), several times. It started clicking very loud, then started up. It still feels like it's losing power. After the first experience, I am afraid to drive it anywhere!! Has this happened to anyone else? What caused it and how much to fix it before it blows too??
Old 07 Sep 2014, 07:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Anyone else having this problem?

The loud clicking usually means you need a new battery.

With your earlier PT, engine light was on and "mechanic" couldn't find anything wrong? Don't go back there.
ColTED likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Sep 2014, 07:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
The loud clicking usually means you need a new battery.

With your earlier PT, engine light was on and "mechanic" couldn't find anything wrong? Don't go back there.
ditto on all these.....
Old 07 Sep 2014, 08:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Anyone else having this problem?

On my 4th PT Cruiser!
No such problems.
First Cruiser - most states have lemon laws.
Used Cruiser is "like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are getting"!
Just sayin'....

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 07 Sep 2014, 09:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would start with checking the battery voltage. Are you getting 12 to 12.5 volts with the car not running and 14 to 14.5 volts with the car running? I would take the caps off on top of the battery and make sure all cells are full. One of my PT Cruisers is sensitive to battery voltage so I am constantly checking the batteries once a month.
Old 08 Sep 2014, 10:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would start with checking the battery voltage. Are you getting 12 to 12.5 volts with the car not running and 14 to 14.5 volts with the car running? I would take the caps off on top of the battery and make sure all cells are full. One of my PT Cruisers is sensitive to battery voltage so I am constantly checking the batteries once a month.
Don't you have an MF battery?
Old 08 Sep 2014, 11:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColTED View Post
Don't you have an MF battery?
DieHard battery from Sears on both PT Cruisers. On one of my PT Cruisers no problems for 4 years so far the other one I have to replace every 18 months or so.
Old 09 Sep 2014, 07:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish55 View Post
I just purchased a 2006 PT. This will be my second one. ...I love the PT's, so I purchased another one last month with a lot lower mileage. Yesterday, got in it to come home, and again, it wouldn't start. I called a tow truck, but before he could get there, I got back it it, pushed the gas pedal to the floor, let up, bumped the key, (turning it on quickly), several times. It started clicking very loud, then started up. It still feels like it's losing power. After the first experience, I am afraid to drive it anywhere!! Has this happened to anyone else? What caused it and how much to fix it before it blows too??
Hi Trish, I tried to edit your post to only be about your current car. Your wording is a bit hard to follow and I can't tell if your two stories are mixed since you say the new car is 'still losing power'.

Anyway as the others have said the clicking is almost certainly the battery.

Perhaps you can describe what you mean by losing power? To some people that means when you step on the gas the car doesn't accelerate strongly. It sounds like it to you it may mean your battery is getting drained?
Old 09 Sep 2014, 09:37 am
Senior Cruiser

For all people reading this, before you purchase a PT, bring it to a mechanic, either a dealer or a ASE tech who has knowledge and can check the car over so you dont get stuck with someone elses problems.

Note not picking on the OP, but we see so many of these "after the fact" posts.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2

Tags