PT & Plasti Dip

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lunajammer
  • 1 Post By Lunajammer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2014, 08:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Default PT & Plasti Dip

Yes, another Plasti Dip thread. It must be the compound curves that make PT Cruisers a favored choice for Plasti Dip use. This is a Cruiser at a local show & shine. They were advertising their services to have your car and/or parts Plasti Dip painted. Good example of one of the prismatic colors. A sheen can still be had, even though all the paints are flats.

Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 09 Sep 2014, 09:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT & Plasti Dip

That looks surprisingly good.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Sep 2014, 12:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did they happen to say how long that finish is expected to last?
Old 10 Sep 2014, 08:59 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Cool.

Is it easy to touch up, or do you have to redo the entire Cruiser?

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 11:21 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Did they happen to say how long that finish is expected to last?
They said you can expect about three years, but some who've used it say it still looks great two years in. Quite dependent on your home climate I assume.

Harry... They said touch up for tears or peels is easier than paint because it doesn't need to be blended. Just spot touch up. If after after a while you don't like it or want to try a new look, just peel it off. Comes off like latex.
harrym likes this.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I did my wheels and a few bits last year. Everything lasted through the coldest winter on record without a problem. And I'm talking sub -30C for weeks on end and tons of snow (believe it or not but the snow dump not far from me still hasn't melted!!) And about mid summer I peeled it all off without a problem or any damage
Old 12 Sep 2014, 09:19 pm
Young Cruiser

I love plasti dip ! I had it on my focus lower bumper for over a year and it was still flawless, even going through hurricane Sandy and the blizzard last year, it was still perfect. When the car was totaled out, I removed it just to see how it'd look, and it was fine underneath. I have a can out in the garage for my jeep now waiting for some free time.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 11:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

From what I have seen so far with the plasti dip I must say I am very impressed. I manage a large body shop so I am around automotive paints all day long. A few co workers sprayed their factory wheels with plasti dip and it looks great. Looks factory and very inexpensive and easy to apply compared to normal industry automotive refinish systems.

I could see spraying a complete car with this stuff if the car was older and someone was looking for a viable way to spruce up a tired looking car that is inexpensive and something the average person could do at home. You will be limited on colors and it will not have the same look as the factory two stage paints but again a great alternative to making a tired car look fresh and with so many dealing with clear coat degradation issues the plasti dip will give a viable alternative.

I need to learn more about this but so far what I have seen has been impressive when cost and skill level is factored into the equation. In many situations moving forward the cost to do a quality repaint on a higher mileage PT easily exceeds the value of the car and even a Maaco level complete respray is cost prohibitive.

Last edited by GOLDNPT; 13 Sep 2014 at 08:35 am. Reason: added comments

Tags
plasti dip