PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

 
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2014, 06:40 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 54
Default head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

Recently my 02 PT (86,000 miles) Has started to run hotter than normal. By that I mean , it climbing above the middle of the temp gauge (which is were it has always run)
I was driving on the highway@55mph, and the gauge was between 1/2-3/4. The electric (which is new) is working.
So I replaced the thermostat. But It still seems to be doing about the same thing. I bleed the air, and is full of coolant.
The temp gauge seems to be getting up to temp rather quickly. Or maybe I'm just watching it more closely now.

Also the top radiator hose is hot & so is the bottom hose. But the air coming from the fan is not hot air. Does not make much sense to me.

Just to be up front about a year ago, this engine got hot when the electric quit working....and again in july it got hot (when the fan quit working again)
So I've put in a thermostat, new electric fan in july...the engine has gotten hot twice in the last year.
Still has the original radiator, and original head gasket..

OK PT GURUS what should I be looking for ?????

Last edited by rustytoolss; 10 Sep 2014 at 06:44 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2014, 07:05 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,052
Default Re: head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

Go read the resent thread whacky gauge to start.

Use the search feature and enjoy a couple hours pf posted usefull information on the sugject of heat issues and posible blown head gaskets.


After you have read you may be able to figure out whatvto do next.
thecabinguy likes this.
__________________

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2014, 07:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,144
Default Re: head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytoolss View Post
Recently my 02 PT (86,000 miles) Has started to run hotter than normal. By that I mean , it climbing above the middle of the temp gauge (which is were it has always run)
I was driving on the highway@55mph, and the gauge was between 1/2-3/4. The electric (which is new) is working.
So I replaced the thermostat. But It still seems to be doing about the same thing. I bleed the air, and is full of coolant.
The temp gauge seems to be getting up to temp rather quickly. Or maybe I'm just watching it more closely now.

Also the top radiator hose is hot & so is the bottom hose. But the air coming from the fan is not hot air. Does not make much sense to me.

Just to be up front about a year ago, this engine got hot when the electric quit working....and again in july it got hot (when the fan quit working again)
So I've put in a thermostat, new electric fan in july...the engine has gotten hot twice in the last year.
Still has the original radiator, and original head gasket..

OK PT GURUS what should I be looking for ?????

I was wondering what brand radiator fans you have been buying?
Has the Pt Cruiser been using HOAT coolant for a long time that you are aware of? Is it a pink or orange color coolant or is it a brown color coolant?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2014, 07:40 pm
Schlyder's Avatar
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: southeast Sasktchewan, Canada
Posts: 52
Default Re: head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytoolss View Post
Recently my 02 PT (86,000 miles) Has started to run hotter than normal. By that I mean , it climbing above the middle of the temp gauge (which is were it has always run)
I was driving on the highway@55mph, and the gauge was between 1/2-3/4. The electric (which is new) is working.
So I replaced the thermostat. But It still seems to be doing about the same thing. I bleed the air, and is full of coolant.
The temp gauge seems to be getting up to temp rather quickly. Or maybe I'm just watching it more closely now.

Also the top radiator hose is hot & so is the bottom hose. But the air coming from the fan is not hot air. Does not make much sense to me.

Just to be up front about a year ago, this engine got hot when the electric quit working....and again in july it got hot (when the fan quit working again)
So I've put in a thermostat, new electric fan in july...the engine has gotten hot twice in the last year.
Still has the original radiator, and original head gasket..

OK PT GURUS what should I be looking for ?????
upper and lower hoses aren't the only thing to feel for hot. Feel over the whole core too. If there are core fins plugged it will be cold on the core and it may be getting poor circulation.

Will these run without a thermostat installed to see if there is cooling happening without it? Is the motor oil milky? Are you losing coolant without any visible leaks? Could be a warped head/ bad head gasket and you are losing coolant out the tailpipe?

Last edited by Schlyder; 10 Sep 2014 at 07:44 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2014, 07:52 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 54
Default Re: head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I was wondering what brand radiator fans you have been buying?
Has the Pt Cruiser been using HOAT coolant for a long time that you are aware of? Is it a pink or orange color coolant or is it a brown color coolant?
The fans are from RockAuto Doorman fans. Not sure of the color of the antifreeze.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2014, 07:57 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 54
Default Re: head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlyder View Post
upper and lower hoses aren't the only thing to feel for hot. Feel over the whole core too. If there are core fins plugged it will be cold on the core and it may be getting poor circulation.

Will these run without a thermostat installed to see if there is cooling happening without it? Is the motor oil milky? Are you losing coolant without any visible leaks? Could be a warped head/ bad head gasket and you are losing coolant out the tailpipe?
I'm not using or loosing anycoolant. No milky oil either
I have not felt the core when hot yet. since the fan is blowing cold air off the radiator, I'm hoping the core is not circulating and need replaced.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2014, 08:04 pm
Schlyder's Avatar
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: southeast Sasktchewan, Canada
Posts: 52
Default Re: head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytoolss View Post
I'm not using or loosing anycoolant. No milky oil either
I have not felt the core when hot yet. since the fan is blowing cold air off the radiator, I'm hoping the core is not circulating and need replaced.
if you can disconnect the fan until it warms up and then check to see if the core is heating up consistently across the whole core, you will know what the rad is doing. You don't even need it to get super hot... just warm enough that the thermostat opens. Then wait a few minutes and feel the core. If there are cool spots on the core your flow is impeded. A rad flush maybe would help. You may have to recore the rad. Or replace it.

Last edited by Schlyder; 10 Sep 2014 at 08:09 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2014, 09:04 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 54
Default Re: head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlyder View Post
if you can disconnect the fan until it warms up and then check to see if the core is heating up consistently across the whole core, you will know what the rad is doing. You don't even need it to get super hot... just warm enough that the thermostat opens. Then wait a few minutes and feel the core. If there are cool spots on the core your flow is impeded. A rad flush maybe would help. You may have to recore the rad. Or replace it.
I will try that tomorrow, thanks
Schlyder likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2014, 09:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,144
Default Re: head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytoolss View Post
The fans are from RockAuto Doorman fans. Not sure of the color of the antifreeze.
Make sure you find out what coolant you have in the coolant system. If HOAT coolant and other coolant got mixed together it basically turns into mud and clogs up your radiator. If you do have a clogged radiator I would recommend flushing out the coolant system before putting in the new radiator.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11 Sep 2014, 01:19 am
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 54
Default Re: head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Make sure you find out what coolant you have in the coolant system. If HOAT coolant and other coolant got mixed together it basically turns into mud and clogs up your radiator. If you do have a clogged radiator I would recommend flushing out the coolant system before putting in the new radiator.
OK, what coolant is HOAT? What brand ? or type? or color ? Over the years I may have added green (prestone?) antifreeze when I changed the thermostat, to top off the system.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
03 pt turbo oil in water new head gasket fresh head strokedoutss General Turbo Discussions 7 17 Apr 2013 04:22 pm
Whats the Head flat spec. for head gasket. Busted_PT Tech & Performance Forum 7 26 Apr 2012 08:16 am
Radiator boilover may be head or gasket TheAnt Tech & Performance Forum 19 03 Jan 2012 02:56 pm
WARPED HEAD / SCORED CAMSHAFT / BLOWN HEAD GASKET amadeo Tech & Performance Forum 5 12 Apr 2011 01:03 am
Head Gasket / Radiator issues Craicgirl General PT Cruiser Discussions 2 26 Sep 2009 07:23 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors