Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2014, 06:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Default head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

Recently my 02 PT (86,000 miles) Has started to run hotter than normal. By that I mean , it climbing above the middle of the temp gauge (which is were it has always run)
I was driving on the highway@55mph, and the gauge was between 1/2-3/4. The electric (which is new) is working.
So I replaced the thermostat. But It still seems to be doing about the same thing. I bleed the air, and is full of coolant.
The temp gauge seems to be getting up to temp rather quickly. Or maybe I'm just watching it more closely now.

Also the top radiator hose is hot & so is the bottom hose. But the air coming from the fan is not hot air. Does not make much sense to me.

Just to be up front about a year ago, this engine got hot when the electric quit working....and again in july it got hot (when the fan quit working again)
So I've put in a thermostat, new electric fan in july...the engine has gotten hot twice in the last year.
Still has the original radiator, and original head gasket..

OK PT GURUS what should I be looking for ?????

Last edited by rustytoolss; 10 Sep 2014 at 06:44 pm.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 07:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: head gasket? Head ? radiator ??????

Go read the resent thread whacky gauge to start.

Use the search feature and enjoy a couple hours pf posted usefull information on the sugject of heat issues and posible blown head gaskets.

After you have read you may be able to figure out whatvto do next.
thecabinguy likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Sep 2014, 07:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytoolss View Post
Recently my 02 PT (86,000 miles) Has started to run hotter than normal. By that I mean , it climbing above the middle of the temp gauge (which is were it has always run)
I was driving on the highway@55mph, and the gauge was between 1/2-3/4. The electric (which is new) is working.
So I replaced the thermostat. But It still seems to be doing about the same thing. I bleed the air, and is full of coolant.
The temp gauge seems to be getting up to temp rather quickly. Or maybe I'm just watching it more closely now.

Also the top radiator hose is hot & so is the bottom hose. But the air coming from the fan is not hot air. Does not make much sense to me.

Just to be up front about a year ago, this engine got hot when the electric quit working....and again in july it got hot (when the fan quit working again)
So I've put in a thermostat, new electric fan in july...the engine has gotten hot twice in the last year.

I was wondering what brand radiator fans you have been buying?
Has the Pt Cruiser been using HOAT coolant for a long time that you are aware of? Is it a pink or orange color coolant or is it a brown color coolant?
Old 10 Sep 2014, 07:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:

upper and lower hoses aren't the only thing to feel for hot. Feel over the whole core too. If there are core fins plugged it will be cold on the core and it may be getting poor circulation.

Will these run without a thermostat installed to see if there is cooling happening without it? Is the motor oil milky? Are you losing coolant without any visible leaks? Could be a warped head/ bad head gasket and you are losing coolant out the tailpipe?

Last edited by Schlyder; 10 Sep 2014 at 07:44 pm.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 07:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I was wondering what brand radiator fans you have been buying?
Has the Pt Cruiser been using HOAT coolant for a long time that you are aware of? Is it a pink or orange color coolant or is it a brown color coolant?
The fans are from RockAuto Doorman fans. Not sure of the color of the antifreeze.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 07:57 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlyder View Post
upper and lower hoses aren't the only thing to feel for hot. Feel over the whole core too. If there are core fins plugged it will be cold on the core and it may be getting poor circulation.

Will these run without a thermostat installed to see if there is cooling happening without it? Is the motor oil milky? Are you losing coolant without any visible leaks? Could be a warped head/ bad head gasket and you are losing coolant out the tailpipe?
I'm not using or loosing anycoolant. No milky oil either
I have not felt the core when hot yet. since the fan is blowing cold air off the radiator, I'm hoping the core is not circulating and need replaced.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 08:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
I'm not using or loosing anycoolant. No milky oil either
I have not felt the core when hot yet. since the fan is blowing cold air off the radiator, I'm hoping the core is not circulating and need replaced.
if you can disconnect the fan until it warms up and then check to see if the core is heating up consistently across the whole core, you will know what the rad is doing. You don't even need it to get super hot... just warm enough that the thermostat opens. Then wait a few minutes and feel the core. If there are cool spots on the core your flow is impeded. A rad flush maybe would help. You may have to recore the rad. Or replace it.

Last edited by Schlyder; 10 Sep 2014 at 08:09 pm.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 09:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlyder View Post
if you can disconnect the fan until it warms up and then check to see if the core is heating up consistently across the whole core, you will know what the rad is doing. You don't even need it to get super hot... just warm enough that the thermostat opens. Then wait a few minutes and feel the core. If there are cool spots on the core your flow is impeded. A rad flush maybe would help. You may have to recore the rad. Or replace it.
I will try that tomorrow, thanks
Schlyder likes this.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 09:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The fans are from RockAuto Doorman fans. Not sure of the color of the antifreeze.
Make sure you find out what coolant you have in the coolant system. If HOAT coolant and other coolant got mixed together it basically turns into mud and clogs up your radiator. If you do have a clogged radiator I would recommend flushing out the coolant system before putting in the new radiator.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 01:19 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Make sure you find out what coolant you have in the coolant system. If HOAT coolant and other coolant got mixed together it basically turns into mud and clogs up your radiator. If you do have a clogged radiator I would recommend flushing out the coolant system before putting in the new radiator.
OK, what coolant is HOAT? What brand ? or type? or color ? Over the years I may have added green (prestone?) antifreeze when I changed the thermostat, to top off the system.