Rear storage bin cover

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2014, 05:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear storage bin cover

I've read several posts from owners about the gray plastic left rear storage bin cover in the PTC. My first PTC, a 2001, had this storage bin cover. I believe that it was discontinued in the 2002 model year, although a number of owners have reported that their 2002 had one. I believe that these were leftover parts from the 2001 model run that they were using up. When I bought my used 2006 last November of 2013, it came with no cover. Clearly, however, the left rear cargo area trim piece has the storage bin molded into it, and the mounting points for the cover are still in place on this molding. I really liked this cover and wanted one for my 2006, so I found a place on e-Bay that was selling three of them. I bought one, and sure enough it fit and operated perfectly in my 2006. There will be a color difference. The 2006 left rear sidewall is molded in light gray. The same sidewall in the 2001 PTC was molded in dark gray, as was the cover. So when you install a 2001 cover in a 2006, the cover looks darker than the trim panel. Not a problem, however. I like the color difference, as there are several different shades of gray in the interior of my 2006 and it looks good. The cover is a lovely bit of ingienuity, in my humble opinion. It has semicircular mounting ears at the front of the cover that snap onto cylindrical mounting pads on the sidewall, allowing the cover to pivot up and still remain attached. The cover itself isn't flat, but has a tilt to it that allows the cover to overcenter forward when it's in the fully open position, making access to the bin easier. Finger holes in the front and back allow you to either grasp it and remove it altogether, or tilt it forward to access the bin. The cover locks shut by snapping against a dome shaped pad on the rear of the sidewall molding, creating a locking interference that holds the cover closed. Remarkably crafty and creative. Somebody really gave this bin / cover a lot of thought back in the day. Thanks for reading. BOB

Last edited by 6828oakl; 12 Sep 2014 at 05:57 pm. Reason: Clarification
Old 12 Sep 2014, 06:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear storage bin cover

Nice write-up for a piece of plastic that I would guess most owners don't even know they are missing it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I got one of them. But I have the Mopar sub installed, there's no place for it. However, what's important is that I have one.
zamfir2 likes this.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 06:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

This thread needs a picture.

A blue cloth shows below the cover.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 09:57 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
This thread needs a picture.

A blue cloth shows below the cover.
I have one in the mail from Bubba_1952. I hope to receive it tomorrow. Here's the thread where Bubba offered them for sale.

F/S LEFT REAR CUBBY HOLE DOOR

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 10:28 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

When I read on the forum that the above mentioned cover existed I found one as I was roaming the local U-Pull-IT. I think I paid $2.00 for it. It was from an earlier PT but the color matches my interior plastic. I keep a set of jumper cables under it. It's handy because you can store below it and it ties in to make a nice extension to the existing shelf in the storage bin in the left rear interior quarter. I stack my two bags of walk around tools and my 12 volt dust buster above. They're secure in that area and out of the way till needed. ptprice
harrym likes this.