PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help! Weird oil pressure issue

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2014, 08:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help! Weird oil pressure issue

A few weeks ago, immediately after an oil change, my low oil pressure light started coming on intermittently, mostly as the car slowed to an idle-- I first noticed it in stop and go traffic on the San Francisco bay bridge. After I got off the bridge I checked the oil and it seemed to be fine. (Of note: I switched to synthetic oil with this oil change.)

For a couple of days after that I would sometimes get low oil pressure warning lights when I slowed to idle. I could make the light go off by dropping the car into neutral and giving it just a small amount of gas.

It started happening again yesterday. I was due for an oil change anyway so I just pulled into a random oil change shop and had it done. I had them switch back to dino oil this time. After the oil change I drove about a mile and a half through San Francisco and still got the light at idle, but since that I haven't seen it at all.

The car is a 2005 Touring convertible with around 75K on the clock., and I'm not an aftermarket modding sort of person.

Any idea what might be going on with this? Should I worry about it, or assume it's just some weird fluke?
Old 15 Sep 2014, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help! Weird oil pressure issue

Lots of owners had problems with the Oil Pressure Sending Unit. If it starts acting up again, I'd just have that changed.

boonie2 likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Sep 2014, 09:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When the oil pressure light is on are there any unusual noises coming from the engine>
Old 16 Sep 2014, 10:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

The engine seems to be running normally when the oil pressure light comes on. I haven't let it stay on for more than a few seconds at a time, but when this happens I've been fairly vigilant about paying attention to how the car is running. If I'd heard Bad Engine Noises or sensed anything unusual I'd be approaching this much differently.

The one thing that seems weird to me is that this correlates almost perfectly with my last oil change. Could they have done something that messed with the sending unit?
Old 16 Sep 2014, 10:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Problem maybe started when you changed oil
Just a freak of the times just change oil sending unit
Old 16 Sep 2014, 11:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok.... this is important.

If the oil light comes on this is a WARNING to you to get the engine checked ASAP.

DON"T assume that it is the sender. Think worst scenario in this case a failing oil pump or a restriction in the engines oiling. It may only be a sender which is the most common part that fails, but you are better to be overly cautious and get it check from someone that has experience than to second guess and melt you engine down.

DO NOT always expect to hear a sound before catastrophic engine failure either.
VNT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 16 Sep 2014, 11:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
A few weeks ago, immediately after an oil change, my low oil pressure light started coming on intermittently, mostly as the car slowed to an idle-- I first noticed it in stop and go traffic on the San Francisco bay bridge. After I got off the bridge I checked the oil and it seemed to be fine. (Of note: I switched to synthetic oil with this oil change.)

For a couple of days after that I would sometimes get low oil pressure warning lights when I slowed to idle. I could make the light go off by dropping the car into neutral and giving it just a small amount of gas.

It started happening again yesterday. I was due for an oil change anyway so I just pulled into a random oil change shop and had it done. I had them switch back to dino oil this time. After the oil change I drove about a mile and a half through San Francisco and still got the light at idle, but since that I haven't seen it at all.

The car is a 2005 Touring convertible with around 75K on the clock., and I'm not an aftermarket modding sort of person.

Any idea what might be going on with this? Should I worry about it, or assume it's just some weird fluke?
Viscosity of the oil is what you want to look at. Were you using 5w20 then switched to 0w20 syn?

My 03 light was coming on and I went to 10w25 and no more OPS light.
I would be suprised if it didn't come on at 5 lb pressuer

I ran a 1 ton for a few years with just a few lb at idle for several years, had a guage, never did knock.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 16 Sep 2014, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Viscosity of the oil is what you want to look at. Were you using 5w20 then switched to 0w20 syn?

My 03 light was coming on and I went to 10w25 and no more OPS light.
I would be suprised if it didn't come on at 5 lb pressuer

I ran a 1 ton for a few years with just a few lb at idle for several years, had a guage, never did knock.
You have a problem somewhere that you never found?

The viscosity of the oil does not control the oil pressure to drop below a point to activate a factory OP sender or switch.

In the late 70's early 80's we would run sewing machine oil in the race car (A/A Gas Altered) because it was Iso-22 viscosity. That would equate to a few tenths of the ET. And never an oil light. The oil pressure was also connected to a pressure sender that would shut the engine off at or below 20lbs oil pressure.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 16 Sep 2014, 01:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
You have a problem somewhere that you never found?

The viscosity of the oil does not control the oil pressure to drop below a point to activate a factory OP sender or switch.

In the late 70's early 80's we would run sewing machine oil in the race car (A/A Gas Altered) because it was Iso-22 viscosity. That would equate to a few tenths of the ET. And never an oil light. The oil pressure was also connected to a pressure sender that would shut the engine off at or below 20lbs oil pressure.
(A/A Gas Altered) because it was Iso-22 viscosity. That would equate to a few tenths of the ET. And never an oil light.

Not a guage? , You running what 8-9000 RPM and relying on a low oil pressure light?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 16 Sep 2014, 05:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nitro, you make an excellent point.

I have been sort of trusting the instructions in the owners manual, which mentions doing that if the light comes on and stays on. Because this is so intermittent and brief it smells to me like a problem that isn't engine-about-to-seize low oil pressure and that's why I want to get a better understanding of the possible causes before I take it to a mechanic.

One of the downsides of being a middle-aged woman is that some shops see dollar signs when I walk in. I'm an engineer, and I have a halfway decent general knowledge of mechanics plus a really good general aptitude for troubleshooting and problem isolation, so I'm not as much of a mark as they think I am. However, my specific mechanical knowledge is limited, and when something feels like a weird problem rather than a routine one I like to have my ducks in a row before putting my checkbook on the line.