MPG 15" vs 17"

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2014, 12:22 am
Young Cruiser

Default MPG 15" vs 17"

I drive 30 each way to work at least 5 days a week so 60 miles a day, mostly freeway driving.

I did a quick search and some people claimed as much of a 15 mpg decrease when going to 17 from their 15" on their prius and then read some only lost about 3 mpg riding on 17 with the same car.

What kind of mpg can I expect to lose if I go 17 on the cruiser?

The wheel ill have will be either the 17" gt wheels or the neon srt-4 wheels

I currently have a 15" with 185/65 tires
Old 18 Sep 2014, 08:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: MPG 15" vs 17"

Also depends on design of the tire itself. You can go to this link and scroll down to ANSWER to get some useful information.

Does rim or tire size change mileage
Old 18 Sep 2014, 09:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

First of all you are running the wrong tire size. This is showing you going more miles than you actually did. 195/ 65/ 15 is the correct size for 15" rims. If you stay in the recommended tire sizes for the 17" rims you shouldn't see any differences from the normal size of 195/65/15. Otherwise the speedo would be off. The reason you have so much air around your wheel and tire setup is the tires you're running are to short.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Sep 2014, 11:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Assuming the tire diameter remains the same, the loss or gain in mileage will come from the difference of the unsprung weight of the car from the wheel+tire combination and from the rolling resistance of the tire. Inflation pressure, rubber compound, width of contact patch and sidewall stiffness will all be factors of the rolling resistance.

Like everything there are compromises which one must make to achieve any goal. If you want the best mileage possible, bolt the lightest, skinniest hardest tires to your car and off you go. You will sacrifice safety, stability, traction and aesthetics; but your mpg will be fantastic. You can go the complete opposite and have some heavy, wide sons of guns that are the most beautiful wheels ever, but your mpg will be in the pooper. So only you can decide at which balance you will be happy with.

That said, the weight and inflation pressure will likely play the biggest role. I know the GT wheels are pretty heavy wheels by themselves as far as aluminum wheels go but they are beautiful. Assuming you will lose a couple of mpg by using them, would you sacrifice the mpg for their beauty, or keep the wheels you do not like the look of, but are likely lighter, and will have slightly better mpg?

Last edited by myckee; 18 Sep 2014 at 11:05 am.
Old 18 Sep 2014, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hold the fort.

* 195/65R15 Tires are 25.0 inches tall with a circumference of 78.540 inches.

* 205/50ZR17 Tires are 25.1 inches tall with a circumference of 78.8.854 inches

* The difference in circumference is less than 1%.

If you use the correct tires on a PT, there should be NO SUBSTANTIAL DIFFERENCE. This is true because the circumferences of the recommended tires for both the 15-inch rims and the 17-inch rims are almost the same. Thus, there is no substantial change in the gear ratio and the speedometer should not be substantially skewed either.

Any appreciable difference will likely be due to the type of tread, brand/quality of tire, and inflation. If the correct tires are used, the diameter of the rim does not matter.
PhillRoath and Busted_PT like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 18 Sep 2014 at 06:32 pm.
Old 18 Sep 2014, 11:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
I drive 30 each way to work at least 5 days a week so 60 miles a day, mostly freeway driving.

I did a quick search and some people claimed as much of a 15 mpg decrease when going to 17 from their 15" on their prius and then read some only lost about 3 mpg riding on 17 with the same car.

What kind of mpg can I expect to lose if I go 17 on the cruiser?

The wheel ill have will be either the 17" gt wheels or the neon srt-4 wheels

I currently have a 15" with 185/65 tires
Standard tires on a Prius are special 'Low Rolling Resistant" tires.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 18 Sep 2014, 11:48 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Hold the fort.

* 195/65R15 Tires are 25.0 inches tall with a circumference of 78.540 inches.

* 205/50ZR17 Tires are 25.1 inches tall with a circumference of 78.8.854 inches

* The difference in circumference is less than 1%.

If you use the correct tires on a PT, there should be NOT SUBSTANTIAL DIFFERENCE. This is true because the circumferences of the recommended tires for both the 15-inch rims and the 17-inch rims are almost the same. Thus, there is no substantial change in the gear ratio and the speedometer should not be substantially skewed either.

Any appreciable difference will likely be due to the type of tread, brand/quality of tire, and inflation. If the correct tires are used, the diameter of the rim does not matter.
But i think your forgetting the weight of the rim and thats what myckee was pointing out. A 17" (gt rims) are going to weight more than the rims I have on no
Old 18 Sep 2014, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
But i think your forgetting the weight of the rim and thats what myckee was pointing out. A 17" (gt rims) are going to weight more than the rims I have on no
If you have the standard 15-inch steel wheels, 17-inch alloy wheels will likely weigh quite a bit less.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 08:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Assuming the tire diameter remains the same, the loss or gain in mileage will come from the difference of the unsprung weight of the car from the wheel+tire combination and from the rolling resistance of the tire. Inflation pressure, rubber compound, width of contact patch and sidewall stiffness will all be factors of the rolling resistance.

Like everything there are compromises which one must make to achieve any goal. If you want the best mileage possible, bolt the lightest, skinniest hardest tires to your car and off you go. You will sacrifice safety, stability, traction and aesthetics; but your mpg will be fantastic. You can go the complete opposite and have some heavy, wide sons of guns that are the most beautiful wheels ever, but your mpg will be in the pooper. So only you can decide at which balance you will be happy with.

That said, the weight and inflation pressure will likely play the biggest role. I know the GT wheels are pretty heavy wheels by themselves as far as aluminum wheels go but they are beautiful. Assuming you will lose a couple of mpg by using them, would you sacrifice the mpg for their beauty, or keep the wheels you do not like the look of, but are likely lighter, and will have slightly better mpg?
This post says it all.
Tires, like cars, are compromises. Rolling resistance usually goes up as traction (grip) increases.
The biggest mpg factor with tires is proper inflation.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Sep 2014, 08:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
If you have the standard 15-inch steel wheels, 17-inch alloy wheels will likely weigh quite a bit less.
I'll assure you no 17" made weighs less than the stock steelie, Wheels really go up in weight along with diameter, so much so you see cars really slow down in 1/4 mile times when they install the nifty 18 in place of say, 14s