Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Antifreeze smell when I turn on the heater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Sep 2014, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Antifreeze smell when I turn on the heater

Hello all- When I turn on my heater I get an antifreeze smell for about two-three minutes then it goes away. My windshield does not fog up with the defrosters on or at any time from the antifreeze. I do not think there is a leak in the core unless it it really tiny. My antifreeze level seems to be totally at the top when I remove the radiator cap. The fluid level in the reservoir is just below the full when hot line right now but the engine is cold. Is it possible the the reservoir is too full? What would cause the smell?
Thanks in advance - Jessica Z. - jescruzn
Old 20 Sep 2014, 05:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Antifreeze smell when I turn on the heater

that is your heater core. my car did that for two full years before it failed. when it did finally fail, my feet were soaked from the coolant dripping on them, my windows were fogged up, and when i rolled the windows down, my rear view mirrors fogged up. i did make it 14 miles home without overheating though i wouldn't really worry about it, but you might start saving and planning to have it replaced within the next few months. like i said though, i smelled that for two full years before mine finally let loose.
Old 20 Sep 2014, 06:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
that is your heater core. my car did that for two full years before it failed. when it did finally fail, my feet were soaked from the coolant dripping on them, my windows were fogged up, and when i rolled the windows down, my rear view mirrors fogged up. i did make it 14 miles home without overheating though i wouldn't really worry about it, but you might start saving and planning to have it replaced within the next few months. like i said though, i smelled that for two full years before mine finally let loose.
Rob342, How many miles did your PT Cruiser have on it before the heater core started to fail? I see on carcomplaints.com the average mileage was 77,000 miles.
Old 20 Sep 2014, 06:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i purchased my car in january of 2012 with 204k miles on it and i could smell it when i got it. it failed this april with 267k miles. so i got at least 63,000 miles or 2 years, 3 months before complete failure. i don't know how long it stunk before i got the car.

i do have access to all the records for the car. they are in a folder at the shop i got it from. some day i will check to see if this is the first or second heater core. i'd actually like to post the complete folder of dates and required maintenance performed, just never have the time to do it.

Last edited by rob342; 20 Sep 2014 at 06:13 pm.
Old 21 Sep 2014, 08:27 am
Cool Cruiser

Only way to know for sure is to do a pressure test. It's cheep to have done or buy the tester. If you have a very small leak one of the better sealers should work. Big bucks to replace the heater core I understand. Have to remove the entire dash.
Good luck!!
Mike
Old 21 Sep 2014, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Put a 1/3 0f this in the coolant system and you will be good. With no side affects. Don't cheap out. This is as cheap as you can get for a sure thing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Sep 2014, 03:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for your replies. I will try the Barís Leaks stuff. I will let you all know if it works. Again, Thank you.

Jessica Z.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 04:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jescruzn View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I will try the Barís Leaks stuff. I will let you all know if it works. Again, Thank you.

Jessica Z.
Like I said only use about a third of the bottle. Otherwise follow the instructions. It will absolutely work.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
antifreeze smell, heater core