Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant Mystery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Sep 2014, 09:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant Mystery

So, lately, my 2006 PT Cruiser has been leaking coolant unto the back of the engine bay from the area of the reservoir without ANY appearances of the source of the leak. It appears to be over full (coolant reservoir) even when the engine has cooled off. I am not over heating, the oil smells, looks normal, and was low. None of the radiator hoses are wet or appear damaged.

My biggest fear is a head gasket problem, but I really am not sure what's going on with it. I first noticed this issue today when I came up to a stop sign I smelled coolant. Then when I got to work I looked under the hood and noticed a drip and the firewall near the reservoir was damp with coolant. My observation was that the coolant was overflowed. I rechecked it after work and even with the even cooled the amount of the coolant remained. I was not able to check if there was any coolant in the radiator itself.

Any idea's, past experiences, or tips to help me keep this car alive!? O; PS. Non-Turbo. Thanks again!
Old 20 Sep 2014, 10:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant Mystery

How many miles on the PT Cruiser?
Is it overheating?
Has there been anything problems lately with the engine?
Has the engine ever been taken apart?
Old 20 Sep 2014, 10:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Also check for small coolant leaks in the radiator, hoses, thermostat housing, heater hoses, etc. Check for white powder residue from dried coolant anywhere where coolant might leak out. Also check your radiator cap.

Not having a completely sealed coolant system will allow the boiling temperature point on your PT Cruiser to lower but it's probably getting just hot enough not to overheat the engine, but hot enough to get the water to expand and overflow going out the vent hose after filling up the reservoir tank .
Old 21 Sep 2014, 06:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeris View Post
Then when I got to work I looked under the hood and noticed a drip and the firewall near the reservoir was damp with coolant. My observation was that the coolant was overflowed. I rechecked it after work and even with the even cooled the amount of the coolant remained. I was not able to check if there was any coolant in the radiator itself.
You need to do this before you drive it again. Have a radiator pressure test done, also combustion gas leak detector test done...checks for gases in fluid (Blown Head Gasket).

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 21 Sep 2014, 08:32 am
Cool Cruiser

The above test is a great way to check your head gasket.
A good way to locate a coolant leak is buy a dye kit. Comes with dye, classes, and uv penlite. Not very expensive. Put the dye in the cooling system take a ride and when you come back check for leaks with the kit. Should show the source. Good Luck!
Old 21 Sep 2014, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
You need to do this before you drive it again. Have a radiator pressure test done, also combustion gas leak detector test done...checks for gases in fluid (Blown Head Gasket).

I've seen different ways of doing this. After the night the reservoir went back down, but still way over the HOT marker. And fluid returned into the Radiator.

I'll do the test and report back.

Thanks for the intel.
Old 21 Sep 2014, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You should also check that the hose to the tank is tight on both ends and doesn't have any holes. If loose just cut a half inch off and reinstall.

When this is loose it will push coolant into the tank when hot but suck air when it cools. Until it starts to heat and overfill the tank.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Sep 2014, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddd deer.

Well..this is great.... driving to church this morning nailed a deer, cracked the radiator. I'll have to find out if my insurance company will do anything. I got it through the dealership and already having 'problems' with them. JD Byrider. And the Insurer is Ohio Indemnity Company.
Old 21 Sep 2014, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeris View Post
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddd deer.

Well..this is great.... driving to church this morning nailed a deer, cracked the radiator. I'll have to find out if my insurance company will do anything. I got it through the dealership and already having 'problems' with them. JD Byrider. And the Insurer is Ohio Indemnity Company.
You have full coverage insurance?