Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bleeding AIR from cooling system ?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2014, 06:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Bleeding AIR from cooling system ?

I flushed my cooling system. Then refilled it. I had the passenger side front jacked up to help bleed the air from the system. I also tried to bleed the air with the valve.
Since I 've done all of this, I'm getting gurgling into my overflow bottle (when I shut off the engine at normal temp) Before I ever flushed the system , I never had the gurgling EVER.
So it would seem that I still have air in the system. Should I try to bleed it with the engine running ?
Or what am I doing wrong ??
Old 22 Sep 2014, 07:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bleeding AIR from cooling system ?

After you filled it with coolant did you leave the radiator cap off and let the engine run to normal engine temperatures?
NitroPT likes this.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 07:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Get one of these funnels, no mess and gets all the air out. I have used this multiple times on all 3 PT's and never an issue: Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive
NitroPT likes this.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 08:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
After you filled it with coolant did you leave the radiator cap off and let the engine run to normal engine temperatures?
Yes I did, I even had the radiator cap side of engine (passenger side) up on a jack to help purge the air running at temp.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 08:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
Get one of these funnels, no mess and gets all the air out. I have used this multiple times on all 3 PT's and never an issue: Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive
Well I'm sure that they help, but I'm also sure that other people have purged the air with out that funnel.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 08:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

After the engine warmed up to normal temperatures did you see the coolant circulating with the radiator cap off?
Old 22 Sep 2014, 09:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
After the engine warmed up to normal temperatures did you see the coolant circulating with the radiator cap off?
Yes , I could see the flow when the thermostat opened.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 09:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What kind of coolant did you put in the radiator and did you mix it with distilled water? Did you put in 50/50?
Old 22 Sep 2014, 09:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't see what year your PT is?
From about mid 03 Chrysler incorporated different casting with the 2.0 and 2.4 heads correcting the steam pocket area that caused normal bleeding an issue. The newer head casting will self bleed after 1-2 complete engine cycles if all other cooling system parts are correctly functioning.

For all PT Cruisers 1.6,2.0 and 2.4 gas engines:
If you want to be physiologically satisfied let physic's do the bleeding for you. Bring the engine to operating temperature than engine park the PT so the the front is at least aprox. 5 degree nose up angle. Carefully remove the radiator cap and leave it off for the night. In the morning check the coolant level and add water only to top off if needed. Replace the radiator cap and complete the process by checking the recovery tank. Add water only if needed and drive your PT and don't worry about it.

Steve and others distilled water is not really necessary.Part of the coolants property is to protect against any minerals in normal water that could form corrosive build up. And I am not sure that the few bacterium that can survive in a auto coolant and if they did I have never herd of them causing any problems?

IMHO the 50/50 recommended mixture was to solve the problem of basic math computations.Many failed math in school and couldn't figure percentages when mixing recommended fluids. So the industry standardized for everyone. LOL In the real word you mix your coolant by the operating environment of the engine which is not always for a 50/50 mix. In most area's other than ambient temperatures in the extreme cold or extreme heat I like 70/30. Water is a better heat controller than coolant. This is also why I personally always recommend to add water only to add or top off the cooling system.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 Sep 2014 at 10:02 pm.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 09:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I don't see what year your PT is?
From about mid 03 Chrysler incorporated different casting with the 2.0 and 2.4 heads correcting the steam pocket area that caused normal bleeding an issue. Th newer head casting will sell bleed after 1-2 complete engine cycles if all other cooling system parts are correctly functioning.

For all PT Cruisers 1.6,2.0 and 2.4 gas engines:
If you want to be physiologically satisfied let physic's do the bleeding for you. Bring the engine to operating temperature than engine park the PT so the the front is at least aprox. 5 degree nose up angle. Carefully remove the radiator cap and leave it off for the night. In the morning check the coolant level and add water only to top off if needed. Replace the radiator cap and complete the process by checking the recovery tank. Add water only if needed and drive your PT and don't worry about it.

Steve and others distilled water is not really necessary.Part of the coolants property is to protect against any minerals in normal water that could form corrosive build up. And I am not sure that the few bacterium that can survive in a auto coolant and if they did I have never herd of them causing any problems?

IMHO the 50/50 recommended mixture was to solve the problem of basic math computations.Many failed math in school and couldn't figure percentages when mixing recommended fluids. So the industry standardized for everyone. LOL In the real word you mix your coolant by the operating environment of the engine which is not always for a 50/50 mix. In most area's other than ambient temperatures in the extreme cold or extreme heat I like 70/30. Water is a better heat controller than coolant. This is also why I personally always recommend to add water only to add or top off the cooling system.
My PT is a 2002 2.4