Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 Convertible Window Gap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2014, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 Convertible Window Gap

The driver's side window of my 2005 convertible will not go up that extra ~1" (I've tried the battery reset several times for 10, 15 and even 30 minutes). Dealer also said some fuse or motor in the door handle needs replacing...which I find difficult to believe. The power window does work (i.e. - it goes up and down)...but the SGM or power window regulator isn't going up (or dropping) that last little bit when opening or closing the door. Works fine on the passenger side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance!
Old 24 Sep 2014, 04:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Convertible Window Gap

did you do the reset with both doors open?
2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay
Old 24 Sep 2014, 04:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did. Doors open, doors closed, windows down with doors open, windows down with doors closed, windows up with doors open, windows up with doors closed, disconnect with the doors closed, then open them, disconnect with the doors open, etc. I did have one moment when the window jumped up and down after reconnecting the battery and turning on the ignition. The door was open when I had that result. I couldn't replicate it, though, and the gap still remained even after it "reset" or whatever one would call it.

Edit: Thank you for the fast, first reply, btw.

Last edited by brittmeister; 24 Sep 2014 at 05:14 pm. Reason: Just wanted to add thanks.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Any ideas? I've been trying to at least find the part if there's one that needs replacing. Is it software related? I found something about a bar/arm relating to the door handle and the power window regulator.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 09:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

It could be a linkage behind panel. I remember seeing it when I removed door panel to change speakers
1998 Dolphin 36' motor home
1949 Piper Clipper taildragger
Old 24 Sep 2014, 11:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittmeister View Post
The driver's side window of my 2005 convertible will not go up that extra ~1" (I've tried the battery reset several times for 10, 15 and even 30 minutes). Dealer also said some fuse or motor in the door handle needs replacing...which I find difficult to believe. The power window does work (i.e. - it goes up and down)...but the SGM or power window regulator isn't going up (or dropping) that last little bit when opening or closing the door. Works fine on the passenger side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance!
Did you try disconnecting the battery and then hitting the brakes or turning on the headlights for a few seconds, then wait 30 minutes before hooking the battery cable back up?
Did it randomly do it once in a while before it did it permanently?
Old 24 Sep 2014, 11:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If that doesn't work try turning the car on, with the windows up, put the top all the way down. Then, put the top back up all the way. Sometimes the window gets out of sync with the computer/door/top and it doesn't work.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 11:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If that doesn't work there is a rod on the inside of the door that goes from the inside handle to the door latch. The wire is not really heavy enough and it bends slightly to not allow the switch to know you are opening the door. You have to straighten out the bends about an 1/8 of an inch to make the rod longer again.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 09:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will try them tonight and report back.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 11:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all of the feedback. Unfortunately, the gap is still there. I tried adjusting the wire/rod from the interior door handle to whatever regulator that is in the door. I'm wondering if that's where my problem is. I can't seem to find the name for that part, though. Does this actually control the SGM and if replaced will it allow the window to perform as it should? Should I take it to a dealer and request they do a software reset?

Tags
convertible, gap, sgm, window