PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
NEED ADVICE: Looking at a 2005 GT to Buy

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Sep 2014, 01:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default NEED ADVICE: Looking at a 2005 GT to Buy

This evening I am going to look at a silver 2005 GT automatic. It has about 88,000 miles on it and is supposed to be very clean.

At this point in my life's journey, I am pretty knowledgeable about many things PT. But to be thorough, I am asking the members here for advice on what to look for specifically on a 2005 GT or similar, what to walk away from, and what kind of price you figure this nice PT would be worth.

Your advice is appreciated unless it is overly obvious or stupid. In which case I and others will make fun of you.

That's a joke. As always, all comments, knuckle-headed or not, are welcome.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 26 Sep 2014 at 01:25 pm.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 01:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: NEED ADVICE: Looking at a 2005 GT to Buy

Start it and let it run in idle until fan comes on.
Listen carefully to idle.
Ask if synthetic oil was used.
If timing belt wasn't done, knock $1,000 off price.
If belt was supposedly done, ask for proof.
Look carefully at all tires and look for uneven wear.
Bring a big piece of cardboard, lay down on the cardboard and look at all rockers and wheelwells for signs of rust or repair.
When test driving, pay attention to how it shifts...
Dealer or private party?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Sep 2014, 01:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Start it and let it run in idle until fan comes on.
Listen carefully to idle.
Ask if synthetic oil was used.
If timing belt wasn't done, knock $1,000 off price.
If belt was supposedly done, ask for proof.
Look carefully at all tires and look for uneven wear.
Bring a big piece of cardboard, lay down on the cardboard and look at all rockers and wheelwells for signs of rust or repair.
When test driving, pay attention to how it shifts...
Dealer or private party?
Thanks,

No new timing belt. It supposed to only have 88,000 miles. But frankly, I'd rather do the timing belt myself anyway. I trust my own work more. Whoever did the one on the PT I own now didn't do a stellar job. Plus, almost no one here keeps repair tickets or much paperwork at all. I will be surprised if this seller has his registration papers in the glove box.

Tires look shot in the photo to me. Since I drive 110 miles a day to and from work, new tires at $370 for the set will be early on the menu.

The seller is a private party. I will ask about the use of synthetic oil. Anything else special to look for on the turbo?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 26 Sep 2014 at 01:53 pm.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 03:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

If the seller is ok with it, you can pull off the intake from the turbo and stick your fingers inside to how much play the turbo turbine has.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
If the seller is ok with it, you can pull off the intake from the turbo and stick your fingers inside to how much play the turbo turbine has.
In and out should be. 0. Side to side you will feel some movement. Looks great. Doesn't look beat on. I would look into KBB for your area. Go off the privet party value. Remember low mileage is good but it can inflat the price more that you could recoup. So look it up with the mileage it post up before you add in the mileage. Then decide how much of that your willing to pay. Paint condition is a big factor. Like tires a big ticket item. Check the wheels for any bubbling or pealing chrome. Listen for things like leaky tires in the conversation. Sign of of peeling chrome in the tire bead area of the wheel. Don't want to go to put on new tires and need wheels to. BTW if you plan on doing a belt. But a kit for the tiro and do it. Peace of mind.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Sep 2014, 03:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

you're smart, i think you more or less already know what to look for. i assume you'd even bring a code scanner. i encourage you to write a list of what you know to look for and bring that list with you so you dont get excited and miss anything.

leave the heater off during the testdrive and turn it to hot and turn it on after the test drive to smell the vents for coolant.

one thing i started doing recently is telling them to NOT start the car before i get there. if it squeaks, stumbles, or smokes when it's cold, i want to see it. i want to open the radiator and see there's no sparkly bars-leak crap in there. when i bought my rustang the guy said to call when i was on my way so he could pull it out of the garage. i told the guy to leave it in there, i was going to touch the intake when i got there and if it was warm i would not even look at it.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 03:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

These guys are good ! Don't have much else to offer other than to trust your instincts... personally when the mention of cardboard came up I thought of leaks ( lay the board down and wait ) sometimes they're way too subtle though... I like to sleuth a bit and learn where they always park and then have a good look at the ground for unsightly oil,atf and AF puddles that always crush a deal for me personally. ( That's if you don't have the benefit of a hoist )
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 06:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Can't pull off the intake. The guy would think I'm nuts. But I looked at everything else.

The car has NEW tires put on since the photos. It was woman owned (guy's wife) no mods, no hard driving, everything looks clean and whole.

The bad,

Read spoiler is cracked and the rubber is gone. Putty was applied beneath it to fill in for the rubber. Looks like damage from a car wash and a cheap fix at a shop. Can't tell from five feet away. Perfect fix will be to replace the spoiler. No damage to rear hatch.

Small ding on front driver fender with chip in paint. $100 fix at the Dent Doctor.

Moderately whining power steering pump. Don't know why. Has fluid. No leaks I could find. Power steering works fine. Fix would be to replace it. That's easy work for me.

Radiator sits in the car a little crooked. Own reports the alternator was replaced not to long ago. I believe the bottom of the radiator not in the hole or cradle correctly. No sign of front end damage. Minor crack in paint on front bumper. Fix with touch up paint. Not that big a deal.

Color is Champagne, not silver. Looks very nice. No fading.

PT has all extras. Leather, factory satellite radio with lifetime subscription and even chrome door pulls. Very "loaded" if that is fair to say.

I am going back to buy it. The price is incredibly good. I'll report back when the GT is in my sweaty hands.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 26 Sep 2014 at 08:01 pm.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 07:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Happy for you, I'd grab it too ... I miss the GT rims in a big way... take care of them, they tend to give way, at least up here if you leave them on all year, and I paid the price.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
Happy for you, I'd grab it too ... I miss the GT rims in a big way... take care of them, they tend to give way, at least up here if you leave them on all year, and I paid the price.
Thanks.

And HERE she is. Wow.. This girl is tight and she moves like the wind. Plus, I only paid $100 more for her that I did for my 2001 PT. God is good!

rob342 and randyincctx like this.