Advertisements
2006 error code PO882

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2014, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 error code PO882

Hi, new here.
We have a 2006 with an auto trans , it has failed to upshift past 2nd gear a couple of times over the past year. If I shut it off and restart a couple of times it will shift normal but the mil light stays on. I put a code reader on it and it says :error code PO882 TCM power input signal low. Any one else experience this and how did you fix it? Where is the TCM located and what sends the input signal? What is a low signal, low voltage or milliamps?
Is there a repair manual I can download to find wiring diagrams and other info?
We bought it new and have had no other problems with it other than regular maintenance, still is a great car!

Keny
Old 29 Sep 2014, 09:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 error code PO882

I have a manual trans so no code. However, I believe the TCM is part of the PCM located on the firewall. Others can verify. First check your electrical connections at the transmission make sure they are clean and the wires look intact.

Clear the code are see if that works. Then you can pull the connections on the PCM and check and clean them.

If that doesn't work find a good mechanic with a good scanner. Best to find a tranny place that you can get a recommendation on.

Good luck!

Mike
Old 29 Sep 2014, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When was the last time the battery was replaced?
Are you getting 14 to 14.5 volts when the PT Cruiser is running?

Possible causes:

Transmission Control Module harness is open or shorted
Transmission Control Module circuit poor electrical connection
Low battery power
Faulty Transmission Control Module

Sometimes this code is triggered when the battery charge gets too low or is replaced.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 07:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Mike,
I did clear the code and the car worked fine for the wife's grocery shopping trips today. I will look for a repair manual so I have more info to troubleshoot it. Checked the connections on the box on the firewall, all seem okay. I think I have to remove the airbox to get to the transmission sensors. Looks like a weekend project.

Keny
Old 29 Sep 2014, 08:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Steve,
I replaced the battery this spring, battery was made 7/13 so it's not very old . Just checked voltage 12.7 , 14 engine idling and 14.1 high idle. Locating the TCM and the harness will be this weekends project.
Is the TCM a dealer only item?
Keny
Old 29 Sep 2014, 09:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

The TCM is located under the drivers front fender in front of the wheel. If you look up from under the car or pull back the inner plastic fender well, you will see it.

The sensors are under the airbox and battery on the transmission housing.
Old 02 Oct 2014, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crixussteave Send a message via Skype™ to crixussteave

PO882=TCM Power Input Signal Low.You have either a wiring problem to the TCM,or a bad TCM.
Old 02 Oct 2014, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crixussteave View Post
PO882=TCM Power Input Signal Low.You have either a wiring problem to the TCM,or a bad TCM.
Unless you are a Automotive Diagnostic Technician I would not make such an absolute statement?

If you were a ASE Tech than you would have replied with a few other questions before making a such a generic conclusion!

Oh I read this on another thread you may have missed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum. Please drop by the WELCOME NEW MEMBERS thread and tell us all about yourself and your PT.
I notice that on thread where members post DTC that the response from other members is what they find on the internet. Generally speaking anyone can do this after all they made it to a forum to sign on as a member to ask the question.

DTC are a starting point to look at possible causes but in most every case there are other things that must be looked at that at the time may not be giving a DTC (yet). Anything having to do with the transmission I highly recommend not to try to solve the problems your self unless you have personal experience with the computer controlled transmission that is in the PT Cruiser. Other wise call around shops that deal with these type of transmission and can connect up to there Transmission diagnostic programs and get all the information. This takes about 5-10 minutes to do. So it is not a real large experience and many shops will perform it for free hoping to get the repair job.

Continued to drive with this threads problem may eventually damage the transmission with more costly repairs.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 02 Oct 2014 at 02:50 pm.
Old 08 Feb 2015, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Follow up.
Replaced the battery and have not had this problem return. Naturally, a new problem popped up. Wife said the idiot lights in the instrument cluster go on & off and the gauge needles go to zero briefly while driving, then return to normal. The engine stays running and no codes detected.
Did some research and I think I need a new ignition switch. What I can't find is information to replace it without breaking anything. Plenty of info for 2005 and older but very little for 2006 . Does the keylock tumbler have to be removed? If so ,how do you do this? What pin can be broken and how is this prevented?
Thanks to other members listing the part # cs 861 I was able to buy one from O'reillys, if you type in "ignition switch for 2006 PT" the only one they show is for 2005 and older. Type in the correct part # and it shows up as 2006 PT ignition switch, go figure.
Anyone have advice ?

Thanks keny
Old 08 Feb 2015, 08:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the fluid level on the battery next to the positive and negative battery posts. Even if the battery was replaced not too long ago the PT Cruisers are known for giving the batteries a hard time. My 2007 PT Cruiser does the same thing but since I keep the fluid level up on the battery every two months or so it rarely does it. There is a possible weak ground wire connection at the driver's side fender that you might want to check out and make sure its making good contact. Check all ground wire connections. On my 2007 PT Cruiser when it started doing this about 2 years ago it did not give any engine trouble codes either. It still has the original ignition switch.