PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Daytime Running Lights...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Oct 2014, 08:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Daytime Running Lights...

Ok, I've owned my 2006 Touring for a few months & pretty much know my car now. 2 days ago I noticed when sitting in traffic that I could see my headlights were on, so when I got home & walked around the car & found the drivers taillight was blown...the bulb actually popped...water in lens.
Now, like I said I know my car & know for a fact until that day, I had no daytime running lights. I searched the internet yesterday & it seems the 2nd generation PT's came with daytime running lights after 2007. I found a few posts where they stopped working & users asked how to turn them back on, but no real answers.

So as of now when car is started the running lights & the headlights are both on. My fog lights don't work at this time because someone put in the wrong MF Switch & I haven't replaced it yet.

I haven't found any post on how to turn them back off, but I'd like to.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 03 Oct 2014, 09:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Daytime Running Lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Ok, I've owned my 2006 Touring for a few months & pretty much know my car now. 2 days ago I noticed when sitting in traffic that I could see my headlights were on, so when I got home & walked around the car & found the drivers taillight was blown...the bulb actually popped...water in lens.
Now, like I said I know my car & know for a fact until that day, I had no daytime running lights. I searched the internet yesterday & it seems the 2nd generation PT's came with daytime running lights after 2007. I found a few posts where they stopped working & users asked how to turn them back on, but no real answers.

So as of now when car is started the running lights & the headlights are both on. My fog lights don't work at this time because someone put in the wrong MF Switch & I haven't replaced it yet.

I haven't found any post on how to turn them back off, but I'd like to.
This is new to me about the day time running lights. But the bolded parts stood out to me.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Oct 2014, 09:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

I think I've found the problem, it's the MF Switch. I took the column apart to check wires & plug & found the headlight side of switch was loose, it only moved a few millimeters but that is all I saw wrong. It looks like someone lost the original screw & the hole is stripped out, someone put in a square washer to try & make it fit. I tightened it to the point where it will grab before getting loose again.

I started car & lights went out in about 10 seconds & stayed off.

I'll order the right MF Switch for my car this weekend from RockAuto.
Busted_PT likes this.

Old 03 Oct 2014, 09:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Is it possible it is a Canadian car? Daytime running lights have been mandatory here since the 90's. Even old 94 Plymouth Acclaim had them and there was a module on the driver side in front of the wheel. I am not sure where the module is located on the PT. You could probably unplug it and they would be off.

EDIT: oh I see you found the problem before I posted!

Last edited by myckee; 03 Oct 2014 at 09:29 am.
Old 03 Oct 2014, 09:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

The PT was in California for the 1st 2-3 years of it's life until it was totaled, until I do the Carfax I have no other info on where the car was or how it ended up in Florida.

Old 03 Oct 2014, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have an '06 Touring Edition and the driving lights did not come as original equipment but were added by the dealership after I purchased my PT. I imagine they had to replace the MFS. On a PT so equipped with factory daytime running lights, they are the high beam headlights. As far as I know, if the PT originally came with the driving lights, they can only be on when the headlights are on. But since mine were added after the fact, I do not have to have the headlights on. But I turn on the parking lights and then the driving lights and that is what I use as daytime running lights. It's kind of hard to see in the pic below but the parking lights are on, as well as the driving lights. This saves on the headlights as they are only on at night and they are not that easy to replace when they burn out. But since I use the driving lights as daytime running lights, I have had to replace them several times over the years, but they are a lot easier to get at than the headlights.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 04 Oct 2014, 06:44 am
Regular Cruiser

I added fogs to my wife's 2007 last fall. Had to install new mfs, of course, and get it flashed. Asked at that time if the computer could be flashed to turn on DRLs and was told the 07 didn't have any.
Old 04 Oct 2014, 07:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lights are back on this morning, I guess using the blinkers is making the arm loose...I'll just have to live with it till next weekend when I can replace.

Old 04 Oct 2014, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=rckstein;540620]
This saves on the headlights as they are only on at night and they are not that easy to replace when they burn out. But since I use the driving lights as daytime running lights, I have had to replace them several times over the years, but they are a lot easier to get at than the headlights.

Are you only replacing the bulbs in the headlight and not the headlight itself?
Old 04 Oct 2014, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=ptcruisersteve;540685]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
This saves on the headlights as they are only on at night and they are not that easy to replace when they burn out. But since I use the driving lights as daytime running lights, I have had to replace them several times over the years, but they are a lot easier to get at than the headlights.

Are you only replacing the bulbs in the headlight and not the headlight itself?
Just the bulbs, but the last time I had to replace the high beam bulb, I had to remove the entire lense assembly because the bulb became jammed before it was fully seated and I've got big hands and couldn't get it loose, not fun!

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93