Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Topping up the coolant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2014, 02:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Topping up the coolant

Today whilst driving our 2L petrol PT in traffic we started to hear a bubbling sound and the water temperature went up. I pulled to one side and checked under the bonnet, there was bubbling up from the the coolant reservoir. I topped up the reservoir and managed to get home.

I thought the high temperature fan had failed again, I replaced it about 30k miles ago. I tested the fan and all was OK. Next, due to the bubbling I thought it might have been a failed head gasket. Whilst under the car I noticed the lower radiator hose was cold yet the top one was hot.

I then remembered a problem when I drained the coolant to put in new antifreeze in the past, at that time I removed the cap above the thermostat and had to tease the coolant in by squeezing the upper hose to push air bubbles out. I check it this time and it seems this was the problem today. I topped up about 4-5 pints but had to keep squeezing the upper hose to remove any air lock which I think was the problem.

Is this a known problem that a loss of water can cause an air lock or do I have another problem?

If I have not said it before, thanks to all those who respond to part with their knowledge.

Tony

p.s. Just returned from the US where we drove down the PCH, then out to the Grand Canyon and ended up in Las Vegas. Saw no modded PT's, shame. Did meet a great bunch of people in San Simeon who had a meet at our hotel with old Hudsons. There were some lovely old cars (and drivers)
Old 05 Oct 2014, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Topping up the coolant

I would suggest you might want to read the threads in the last 3 weeks on Overheating. It might give you some answers so members on the board won't need to keep answering the same questions.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 05 Oct 2014 at 02:42 pm.
Old 05 Oct 2014, 03:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Steve, I shall search for it now.
Old 06 Oct 2014, 07:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Assuming everything is working, make sure you don't have any air. run the car without the cap until you see lite steam come from the cap. You can squeeze the upper hose and make sure the rad is topped up. Install the cap and fill the bottle to full.
When you remove the cap(cold engine) make sure it looks Ok and the rubber looks good.

Still a problem after that you have issues act accordingly!

Mike
Good Luck
Old 06 Oct 2014, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest pressurizing your coolant system and making sure your coolant system is tight. If the coolant system is not leaking I would check the coolant tube from the radiator to the overflow tank and see if there are any cracks in it allowing air to get into it.

If its confirmed no leaks in the coolant system then its a good idea to check the coolant. Is the coolant HOAT or is it a general coolant you get from the auto parts store?

Did the engine overheat at high speeds only or was it also overheating at low speeds?

Can you tell us if anything has been done to the PT Cruiser before the engine overheated.
Old 08 Oct 2014, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It is not a good sign that one hose is hot and other hose is cool...
Are the hoses soft and spongy? Might be time for new hoses - I've read that a soft hose can collapse on the suction side and block flow.
A truly bad thermostat will cause overheating very quickly, but yours could be sticking.
Is coolant clear when you look inside the cap?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles