PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT CRUISER 2.4L Turbo Problems

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2014, 10:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT CRUISER 2.4L Turbo Problems

This 2006 PT Cruiser Turbo has been testing my grit.
I've had changed 3 of the 4 motor mounts, one motor mount on the passenger side has been changed twice.
The axel boots have both been changed on the front.
Now, the timing belt, along with the water pump has been changed.
The vehicle has 82,000 miles and I've been the only owner.
The cam sensor has been changed twice, seems it only lasts 2 years.
After reading about the motor mounts issue, I'm considering getting rid of this PT for another more reliable vehicle as I do want to travel but not worry about the falling apart of the motor.
What say you?
Old 08 Oct 2014, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT CRUISER 2.4L Turbo Problems

have you read the thread about HOW MANY MILES ON YOUR PT???

YEs there are parts that do not last as long as we think they should but as a whole the PT will last a long time timing belt at 82 is early but i guess its done for the next 100,000 or so
Old 08 Oct 2014, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

How does one answer this?

Like any other vehicle if your can not work on them your self expect to pay for repairs. A PT Cruiser is no different in cost for that service than most all other vehicles. Unless you buy a vehicle with a warranty stuff happens be prepared to pay for it or learn to do it yourself. There is no predictable way to know when anything is actually going to fail. There are estimates or histories of some things that seem to fail at certain times but this goes with so many variables it is still a bad way to judge any vehicle and what may fail on them.

If you do not like the PT Cruiser for what it is other than transportation than maybe you should consider getting a vehicle that comes with a nice monthly payment and warranty?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Oct 2014, 11:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

the torque struts are an issue but they last longer if you adjust them right. most people just take the old ones off, bolt the new ones on, and then complain that they tear. then again, who cares? they cost like $40, take 15 minutes to change, and have a lifetime warranty.
Old 08 Oct 2014, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As was said about the timing belt, you changed it way ahead of time unless something went bad. Hopefully you did the water pump and belt tensioner while having the belt changed or the whole job might have to be done again.

The Camshaft sensor, sometimes they last a long time (still the same one on mine at 118K) and sometimes they do go bad but most of the people on the forum found out that if you buy a MOPAR replacement, that they should last the rest of the life of the car.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Oct 2014, 03:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If the torque struts have a lifetime warranty, then why am I paying for them over and over?

The reason I had to have the timing belt changed was because either it was squealing or the water pump was squealing and this is the 2nd time I've done this. I did it the 1st time at about 38,000 miles.

I'd rather not take on a new car payment and all the other added expenses of another vehicle but I am a senior and I want to know this car isn't going to leave me like it did recently in Flagstaff.

Last edited by JB13; 08 Oct 2014 at 03:28 pm.
Old 08 Oct 2014, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

really some times a car is just not a good car I knwo we always say everything can be fixed but i actually agree some times its just best to get something else

I dont understand the timing belt thing but if it was changed at 38xxx and again in 30xxx something is simply NOT RIGHT i have never heard of anyone replacing 2 before 70xxx
and as far as the torque struts if they have a warentee i dont know why you are paying each time either unless its they replace the part you pay the labor
It might be best for you to get it running adn trade it in on something you feel better about driving a car you do not like is simply NO FUN and the PT is a fun car
Old 08 Oct 2014, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, but like you see all the time where people are getting ripped off by the chain stores for unnecessary repairs, I would think that you were also ripped off, maybe both times for the timing belt. Out of hundreds, maybe thousands of people that come to the forum, maybe a coupe had a problem with the timing belt tensioner making noise but having the water pump or timing belt itself making a squealing noise is highly unlikely.

A loose alternator belt or serpentine belt or tensioner makes that kind of noise and if your not knowledgeable about what's going on, they'll take advantage of you every time.

I think you basing most of your bad experiences with the PT on bad experiences with unscrupulous shops that did your work. Just my opinion.
Busted_PT likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Oct 2014, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for the info.
This last repair, the timing belt, water pump & etc., were done by a mechanic that I have recently started going to. He's not ripping me off. I have enjoyed this car for the most part just not all the crazy things that have been going on. Oh, and I didn't include the A/C that was replaced a few years back. I've stopped using that mechanic now and I'm hopeful with the new mechanic.
We shall see.
Old 08 Oct 2014, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
really some times a car is just not a good car I know we always say everything can be fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13 View Post
Thanks everyone for the info.
This last repair, the timing belt, water pump & etc., were done by a mechanic that I have recently started going to. He's not ripping me off. I have enjoyed this car for the most part just not all the crazy things that have been going on. Oh, and I didn't include the A/C that was replaced a few years back. I've stopped using that mechanic now and I'm hopeful with the new mechanic.
We shall see.
The thing is to get more than one estimate and assessment of what is wrong. That way you can be sure that everybody is in agreement with the needed repair.

You can also check to see if the business belongs to the BBB or local Chamber and find out if they have had complaints.

Look for credentials hanging on the wall. Are they ASE or at least a trained mechanic in this century? Like the last 15 years?

Is the shop clean and the tools in their tool boxes not laying around everywhere?

You all need to be smart shoppers when it comes to getting your auto repairs done or don't cry when things don't work out as you expected.

Always do the following when you pick you car up after a repair was done.

Go for a short test ride with the service tech or mechanic.
Ask to see and better take ALL the replaced parts no matter what they are.
Ask..... no insist to bring it back after 500 miles to check all the work performed. FOR FREE!

This part is hard to do almost like pulling teeth but it is to your advantage.
If any parts replaced have more then 11 months warranty request a copy of where they came from. That way if something happens to the part and you can not come back to the shop that replaced them you have a chance to get the supplier or manufacture to replace them.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Oct 2014 at 05:04 pm.